Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

Well, this was always likely.

Residents complain about football parking in Coldean | News From Brighton

Gotta nip this in the bud for our planning permission for the capacity increase, I should imagine.
Jeane Lepper, the local councillor who is urging the Albion to "take action and nip this problem in the bud" has been a great supporter of the Club throughout the planning process. She even wished me good luck when I stood as a Seagulls Party candidate in the Lewes elections.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Err. Bollocks is all I can say to that.

Anyone who knows Coldean, you tell me cars are not parked on grass verges 7 days a week up Park Road and Rushlake Road, and I'll tell you you taking out of your arse.

FFS don't blame the club for this. Its been happening for years and years!!!

So message to Jeane Lepper. Don't try and gain publicilty by going down this route, because you will end up looking very very silly.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I can't see a problem if people are parking properly. Plus what about all the extra money LDC are making in the Pay And Display car parks on a sturday.

These people will have to learn to adjust, like we are with the buses. Its only one Saturday and may be a Tuesday once a fortnight. Its not its every day.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Anyone who knows Coldean, you tell me cars are not parked on grass verges 7 days a week up Park Road and Rushlake Road, and I'll tell you you taking out of your arse.

This is very true - just take a look at the verges on Rushlake Road, they're not in that state after one night of football. I did say a few weeks ago that evening games might be a bit of test - there's normally lots of space on Saturday.

I don't really see what the club can do though - they can put up signs and use stewards but, I think I'm right in saying, these have no legal force and cars can still legally park in the area - even if advised not to.

Mind you, we had a letter from the police earlier this year stating that there had been incidents of cars being vandalised for parking in the wrong space and warning that the police would take the strongest action against residents who damaged cars legally parked. So, we might see some direct action before long.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Also on Rushlake Road some of the damage to the grass verges is caused by buses, many a time have I seen two buses heading towards each other in opposite directions and they've not been able to pass due to the narrowness of the road so one mounts the pavement... Are B&H buses also going to be told to nip this in the bud?...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Difficult to imagine how I'd ever get interested in this subject but it does reinforce the fact that the transport situation has a long way to go. It would be good if the club were to publish something like a weekly update on it's plans cos from where I am they are seemingly unconcerned - and I'm sure they're not. Have put it on ATC, hope not a "we'll look into it" response!!

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Parking problem is going to be most, er, problematic after evening games. Wouldn't blame people in the least for trying to park near the stadium rather than end up snookered by the public transport shortcomings. Especially if they have a long journey home.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And let's keep it in perspective. It is around 25 times a year, for around 3 hours a time. It ain't that much.

The problem is that if residents and politicians start blowing this up into an issue then it will have to be dealt with. The club can't turn around and say "f*** Off". Unfortunately the argument of the residents (likely just 2 or 3 miserable fekkers) will be blown up to such an extent that the council will ban all parking in a 5 mile radius or something daft

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

FFS don't blame the club for this. Its been happening for years and years!!!

So message to Jeane Lepper. Don't try and gain publicilty by going down this route, because you will end up looking very very silly.

Spot on. My old girl lives in Park Road and I frequently have to park miles away from her house when visiting her with my kids on a Sunday as all the spaces on the verges near her have been taken. Luckily, she has a (narrow) shared drive which her neighbour has agreed we can use on matchdays. 'Football parking' has increased in the area on matchdays -(shirts/scarves visible after people have parked up)- but as long as drives aren't being blocked, tough.

It'll only be a matter of time before the wanky council imposes Permit Holders only or other restrictions anyway! Then Stanmer really will become a park for the people (to park in)!

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Coldean - "Local residents reported cars parked on grass verges, in front of driveways and on double yellow lines before recent Brighton and Hove Albion matches in their new stadium."

Seriously? Who on earth would block someone's drive or park on double yellows? That's asking for trouble.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
I reckon as long as your parked legally it shouldnt bother anyone you pay your road tax and thats what its for using the road. f*** 'em.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If cars are parking illegally in Coldean, (driveways, double yellows) then the council should get some wardens up there to start slapping tickets on! In the case of driveways, get the tow truck out.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Coldean - "Local residents reported cars parked on grass verges, in front of driveways and on double yellow lines before recent Brighton and Hove Albion matches in their new stadium."

Seriously? Who on earth would block someone's drive or park on double yellows? That's asking for trouble.

The fact is that they probably didn't. There were perhaps one or two drives where people pushed their luck but we all know how these things can get blown out of proportion - and the words "all" and "every" and "many" get used. Nebulous or self-serving inflamatory terms that make for good news stories. Did you notice this one part - I've added some translation in square brackets:

She said: ”[A very few] Residents in Coldean are [delete - very] angry [iritated] about this and I have been inundated with [received a few] complaints, especially from around Park Road, Park Close and Rushlake Road, where last night, vehicles were parked all over [really? ALL OVER - not a blade of grass to be seen] the grass verges, in front of driveways [or were a few parking close to driveways, leaving access but making it a fiddle to get in and out] on double yellow lines and in many [that's many, not some or one or two but MANY] cases double parked [which totally stretches plausibility to breaking point].

It is silly reporting of what is probably a legitimate concern. 25 occasions a year could be phrased as "every other weekend" DKM. But even still - this is a non-story. Get a traffic warden up there and the problem will be solved. No stewards needed. The many people parked on double yellows will be towed away. Those parked illegally will be ticketed. It will all be resolved. We all know that this is local residents who do not like having their access and parking disrupted by outsiders every now and then. They a going to complain - people always do (NSC is a case in point - "too much leg room on the seats") - but leave it for the traffic nazis to sort it out. It's not like Brighton is short of a few wardens. We'll soon see that there sin't in fact an issue - just disgruntled locals.

(btw - what the hell is this website - newsfrombrighton.co.uk? I own brighton-and-hove.co.uk and could run a series of very positive articles about the parking if I wished, would they get quoted as sources?).

[edit. Just looked the site up - it's an independent blog. that article has been read 344 times - 200 of those by Albion fans from NSC I'd guess. Hardly a credible or impartial source of information.]

Last edited by a moderator:

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
I think the club have started to act on this, heard an anouncement on heart fm yesterday saying cars will be towed & season tickets revoked for thay park illegally.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Parking in streets near the stadium is an issue for some residents at every football or indeed cricket ground everywhere. You could halve the capacity and it would still be an issue

Last edited:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
FFS as anyone knows who lived anywhere near the Goldstone, supporters means additional parking for a few hours a week. Get used to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here