Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Matthew Upson - Freebie

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Thoughts?

I still can't believe Matthew Upson - England World Cup Centre-back has not picked up by a club yet?!
Surely he's worth a one-season contract? He wouldn't command that high wages, due to him being out of contract with a week to go before the The Premiership starts.
Youngsters like Dunk, Cook and Elphick would learn so much from playing and training alongside Upson.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know what you mean, but surely the reason he's not fixed up a deal yet is that he's asking for silly money. I don't know that, but it seems to be the logical explanation.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Got to be the money surely. He'll have been on massive wages at West Ham (?).

He'll drop his demands soon enough when he realises nobody can afford to pay him.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
I think hes absolutely shite, would rather we played Dunk, Cook Greer and AEA ahead of him. He must of been on £50k a week. No wonder no one wants to go near him. I still cant get over him being an England International, suppose i will put that in the same category as Michael Ricketts

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The problem is that he still will command ridiculously high wages. He can sit around and wait until the end of August before he starts to panick. He'll go abroad if he doesn't get an EPL club. He certainly won't be turning out for a championship side.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Surely these players who have been released, as the season gets closer and closer they will have to take what they can or risk missing out!! I know the free transfer window doesnt close until much later in the year but surely they wont want to miss out on so much of the season??

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'd rather play Dunk and Greer to be honest. As much as we dream, I dont think we'll be going up next season, so why not blood Dunk for the whole season.

If he's as good as Gus thinks he is, he'll be way better than Upson with a couple of seasons experience behind him.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Agreed he's going to have to take a contract somewhere before the window closes.
I guess Upson could be waiting for a club like QPR, who may have the budget to splash on wages - if they're prepared half of Joe Cole's £90-a-week wages!
Upson would coast The Championship, I don't think he's got the pace for The Premiership anymore.
Does anybody know what wages Woodgate's on at Stoke? I seem to remember it was a pay-per-deal but with a very low basic wage. Stoke could be getting a real bargain if he manages to play more than 25+ games this season.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
He was awful at West Ham probs one of the worst players in the West Ham team last season but thats not hard, that said he would set the Championship alight, he left West Ham for Prem football, cant see him coming down here, but that said come the last week of the transfer window and he still ant got a club could possibly see it.

That said i think he will join Arsenal for some reason.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Surely he's worth a one-season contract? He wouldn't command that high wages, due to him being out of contract with a week to go before the The Premiership starts.

if that were true, he'd have re-signed at West Ham or at one of about a dozen other clubs.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
He's always been overated in my book and he got royally found out at the world cup. IF he was that good Arsenal would never have let him go. He will be after an absolute fortune in wages. We wont be signing an over the hill lump like that. Will probably end up at somewhere like Ipswich, he's the kind of player they go for.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
Agreed he's going to have to take a contract somewhere before the window closes.
I guess Upson could be waiting for a club like QPR, who may have the budget to splash on wages - if they're prepared half of Joe Cole's £90-a-week wages!Upson would coast The Championship, I don't think he's got the pace for The Premiership anymore.
Does anybody know what wages Woodgate's on at Stoke? I seem to remember it was a pay-per-deal but with a very low basic wage. Stoke could be getting a real bargain if he manages to play more than 25+ games this season.

Blimey, Joey Cole has taken a fall from grace :D

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Quite obviously he's hanging on for a Permier league club to take a punt on him. But quite a long injury record - so could be a big risk for someone - certainly not for us. Oh, and he's ex-Palace

They are the only ones that can match the wages he 'll be looking at

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I guess Upson could be waiting for a club like QPR, who may have the budget to splash on wages - if they're prepared half of Joe Cole's £90-a-week wages!
Upson would coast The Championship, I don't think he's got the pace for The Premiership anymore.

What price that he don't play 26 games for them and trigger a new payment

Stoke chairman Peter Coates told BBC Radio Stoke: "We've taken Jon on a structured deal which is based on playing games.

"We think it's a chance worth taking and we're keeping our fingers crossed that he'll play a reasonable amount of games for us. If he does, he's a quality player and it will make it all worthwhile.

"It's whether we can manage the injury problems that he's had but he's keen and enthusiastic and if we can get a decent number of games out of him we'll have done very well.

"The more he plays the better it will be for all of us because we rate him very highly, and if he hadn't had injury problems, he'd be playing for England."

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Upson would undoubtedly be a very good defender at Championship level...could be what we need BUT he is so very slow...last summer, although he scored vs Germany, he was caught out for all the rest of the goals. That would certainly worry me, as Angerkren is not quick off his line either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here