Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Sharp - tweaked his ankle a little bit. (but with God's grace, might live)

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It really didn't look that bad, look like he just got knocked over by the tackle

Very bad news for Donny, he's their main hope of staying up

the munch

Jul 1, 2011
there were alot of nasty tackles going in, should have been a couple of straight reds. tv replays showed a nasty one on barnes which was horrendous,

Last edited:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
It didn't have the look of a red card but you could see his ankle turn right over on the impact of the tackle. Not a good tackle but hard to say it was a red.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
If it was a red then the tackles on Barnes and KLL were reds for sure.

Shame about Sharp though, I do feel for Donny with the injuries they've got. Could struggle if they can't get some quality depth to their squad.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It was a horrible tackle, looked even worse on the replays, he truly clobbers his standing ankle with both feet, definitely should have been a red.

But then Spurr could easily have gone for two yellows in 5 minutes on Lua-Lua and the knee high tackle on Barnes was a straight red all day long, amazed when he only gave a yellow - I was certain he was off

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The ref was very poor. However you have to have sympathy for Sharp, horrible way to start your season.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Was Dunk lucky to stay on the pitch? A lot of Donny fans seemed to think so. Not sure myself.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only saw it on streaming - looked a foul, but not a particularly bad tackle. But perhaps I'll get a better look on The Championship tonight. Certainly don't think it was a potential red card, though.........just very bad luck on Sharp and Donny. I hope he makes a full recovery, and quickly.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Was Dunk lucky to stay on the pitch? A lot of Donny fans seemed to think so. Not sure myself.

Yes. Very lucky. It was very malicious I feel, two footed from behind and nowhere near the ball.

Our players obviously felt a bit battered and bruised at half time, and resolved to assign one player to 'leave their mark' on the star man - it happens all the time. The player does it knowing they will get a yellow, and hoping they knock the player (and often the team) off their stride - teams do this against Arsenal all the time hence the huge number of serious injuries their players suffer and the number of yellow/red cards the opposition teams get.

Basically, we sent someone out there in the second half to 'do' Sharp and maximise our chances of winning. Fair enough, I say - that's exactly what they did with Lua-Lua in the first half.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Broken in 3 places? I don't think so. Looked like his ankle from where I was. If he had a leg broken in 3 places then no way would he have tried to stand up to walk off the pitch. Looked like a poor (but not malicious) challenge by Dunk and Sharp got his foot caught in the turf

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes. Very lucky. It was very malicious I feel, two footed from behind and nowhere near the ball.

Our players obviously felt a bit battered and bruised at half time, and resolved to assign one player to 'leave their mark' on the star man - it happens all the time. The player does it knowing they will get a yellow, and hoping they knock the player (and often the team) off their stride - teams do this against Arsenal all the time hence the huge number of serious injuries their players suffer and the number of yellow/red cards the opposition teams get.

Basically, we sent someone out there in the second half to 'do' Sharp and maximise our chances of winning. Fair enough, I say - that's exactly what they did with Lua-Lua in the first half.

It's a matter of opinion but to be fair to our players LuaLua got on the wrong end of some bad tackles and the tackle on Barnes was truly dreadful. Two wrings don't make a right I know but on the other hand don't give it out if you can't take it back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Really sorry to hear it's a bad injury. The ref hasn't helped by ignoring the hard tackles, and allowing it to spice up so much.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I haven't seen it properly but the ref has to take some blame for the injury. If he had made the correct decisions with the two tackles that should both of been sending offs for Donny then I reckon Dunk wouldn't have made such a rash tackle (if that's what it was). That said, regardless of how shit a ref decisions are, as a player you have to keep your head.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Big shame for him but life goes on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here