Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick's Bar: definitive (hopefullly!)opening times, rules re kids, plus Dark Star news

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Just spoke to Martin Perry and Elliott Moore, catering manager. Dick's Bar will be opening at 1 pm on matchdays, the same time as the rest of the ground. The reason for this is so that if there are more people wanting to get in than space available, people will be able to drink in the concourse bars rather than being stuck in a queue with nowhere to go. Seems sensible to me, actually. It will stay open after games as long as there are sufficient people drinking there to make it worthwhile.

On non match days it will be open from 8.30am until around 7pm, perhaps closing a bit earlier than that if there is no-one there.
Kids are NOT allowed in there on matchdays. Apparently that is the law, not a club decision. I made the point about people wanting to see the mosaic: Martin says that kids are allowed in during the other opening times, when it is designated a coffee bar. So an extra trip may be necessary...

People have been asking about the Dark Star beer: there have been issues with fitting the pumps in under the bar in Dick's bar, but these will be resolved by Saturday and we'll have some, Elliott says. As for the concourses, there are issues with keeping the beer cool because of the heat generated by the other catering operations, but Harvey's have sorted that, and Dark Star will have soon. There won't be DS on Sat though.

I phoned the brewery to confirm this, but no one answered the phone. Not an unusual event :)

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
"Just spoke to Martin Perry and Elliott Moore, catering manager. Dick's Bar will be opening at 1 pm on matchdays, the same time as the rest of the ground"

Thanks for the info John. Is it definitely 1pm for the Spurs game as I'm sure I read somewhere on here that it would open at 12 this Saturday?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
"Just spoke to Martin Perry and Elliott Moore, catering manager. Dick's Bar will be opening at 1 pm on matchdays, the same time as the rest of the ground"

Thanks for the info John. Is it definitely 1pm for the Spurs game as I'm sure I read somewhere on here that it would open at 12 this Saturday?

This has been the subject of some debate at the club - and when I first spoke to Martin he wasn't sure, he had to go and check what the decision was :) But it is apparently definitely 1pm, for the reason given above. I think that is the right decision as it goes. You wouldn't want to hang around beerless in a queue for an hour!

On the subject of queues, we are promised much, much quicker service this weekend......

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
This has been the subject of some debate at the club - and when I first spoke to Martin he wasn't sure, he had to go and check what the decision was :) But it is apparently definitely 1pm, for the reason given above. I think that is the right decision as it goes. You wouldn't want to hang around beerless in a queue for an hour!

On the subject of queues, we are promised much, much quicker service this weekend......

Thanks John

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
when you say no kids , what do the club classify 'kids' as , presuming under 18 ???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
1pm is still poor, I think, although I suspected the reason would be exactly as you say. Not much good for lunchtime live televised games, with kick-offs often being 12:45, as it is on the 6th.

Also - what specific law will not allow children into there?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seriously - what law says...

Kids are allowed in there on non-matchdays but not on matchdays themselves.
Kids are allowed in most/all other fan bars on matchdays - ones that I can recollect include Torquay's "Boots n Laces" and Walsall's "Saddlers Club" - but not ours.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
i think the ' no kids' rule is a bit crafty. theres no actual law against children being in a bar. so i would probably say its to do with space and adults spending more than children at the bar !!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
at the now notorious friday evening chat with the club, we were told that the ground will be open at 1 and they would be looking to review it should demand require it.

judging how keen the stewards were at teh SCC game, it would be interesting to see what wopuld happen if people started arriving at 12. we were heading for the Esporta ( now Virgin) and it was like the spanish inquisition at 12 o'clock

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Don't understand not opening before the kick offs of the televised matches as this will surely make a lot of people stay away. I can see people staying in a pub until half time and then travelling to the stadium to watch as much as the second half as possible. Open at 12.30 you have all the beer money and not half of it. Perhaps the club don't want to be seen encouraging 3 hours drinking before the matches.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Seriously - what law says...

Kids are allowed in there on non-matchdays but not on matchdays themselves.
Kids are allowed in most/all other fan bars on matchdays - ones that I can recollect include Torquay's "Boots n Laces" and Walsall's "Saddlers Club" - but not ours.

It could be a condition of the premises licence. i.e. On matchdays u18's aren't allowed in the bar

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It could be a condition of the premises licence. i.e. On matchdays u18's aren't allowed in the bar

But other fans bars allow it.

And 'our' kids are free to roam our expansive concourses which will be overflowing with beer (from the 3 people lucky enough to have been served).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've been to loads of fans bars with an under 16. And what is the difference between the 1901 lounge and the supporters bar? Both have licenses at a football stadium but one allows kids and the other doesn't. Smells like Billy Bullshit to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here