Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The term 'Nigels'

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I'm showing myself up here, but what does 'Nigels' in terms of Palace fans mean?

Obviously I can work out it's less than complimentary, but I've not heard it until recently and was hoping someone will enlighten me.

Cheers!

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Are you the chap on the Exeter board?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It comes from the fact that Nigel is the sterotypical name of a boring dullard, and of the sort of gimp you are likely to bump into in the dreary suburban sprawl that is Bromley, Purley, Coulsden and various other boring places that Palace draw their support from.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It comes from the fact that Nigel is the sterotypical name of a boring dullard, and of the sort of gimp you are likely to bump into in the dreary suburban sprawl that is Bromley, Purley, Coulsden and various other boring places that Palace draw their support from.

Ah I see. A good description of your average Palace fan!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ah I see. A good description of your average Palace fan!
Indeed, which is why Millwall and Charlton fans have used it for a few years now. To be honest, as far as I'm concerned it's a far better put down than our "pikey" one. We all know there are only one set of pikeys, and that is Gillingham.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With NSC being cleaned up lately and not being able to call a Palace fan a muggy **** anymore this is their new derogatory description which they'll comprehend :lolol:

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Don't know whether it was Millwall, Albion or Charlton fans who started it, but it dates back to the mid-90s. There was a nerd character in Eastenders called Nigel, who announced in one episode that he was a Palace fan. There's lot of cases where just one tiny incident ends up as a nickname for decades. Millwall fans call us Trainspotters because of an article in the Evening Standard about how the chair of our former players association had paid for the renovation of an old steam loco and had it renamed The Addick. We call them Spanners because one of their hooligan fans threw a spanner onto the pitch in some game. *shrugs*

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
This term comes from the Milwall knuckle-draggers which should say it all. They try and make out there such gezzers and double 'ard bastards and that because most of us have actually had an education, were a buch of geeks. We know different though!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Don't know whether it was Millwall, Albion or Charlton fans who started it, but it dates back to the mid-90s. There was a nerd character in Eastenders called Nigel, who announced in one episode that he was a Palace fan. There's lot of cases where just one tiny incident ends up as a nickname for decades. Millwall fans call us Trainspotters because of an article in the Evening Standard about how the chair of our former players association had paid for the renovation of an old steam loco and had it renamed The Addick. We call them Spanners because one of their hooligan fans threw a spanner onto the pitch in some game. *shrugs*

please tell me it wasnt this great man, nigel bates

_645246_nigel300.jpg

id always liked him. if this is true then ill have to reconsider his spot in my top 20 eastenders characters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This term comes from the Milwall knuckle-draggers which should say it all. They try and make out there such gezzers and double 'ard bastards and that because most of us have actually had an education, were a buch of geeks. We know different though!

get-attachment.asp

get-attachment.asp

get-attachment.asp

get-attachment.asp

get-attachment.asp

3364.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here