Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you like and know your cricket, and love your sh*t incredibly bully.

Andy Zaltzman's crick-info is mental.

Complete and utter bullsh*t but pretty funny.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Andy Zaltzman is brilliant! He does a v. funny column in the Wisden Cricketer magazine, with content that's right on the cusp of 'believable' and mad!

Geoffrey Boycott's cricinfo podcast is good too, if you can stand him.

The ECB do a pretty decent podcast too actually, as does The Spin magazine, I think.

And the BBC's Test Match Special sometimes release a podcast of their lunchtime discussions - "Sir Viv at 60" and "Ask the Umpire" are two recent good ones.

Last edited:

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Also, if you like your biographies/history, the BBC are doing an excellent series called "The New Elizabethans", 'celebrating' 60 years of Queenie's reign by delving into the stories of 60 of the most influential people of the last 60 years in Britain.

They also did a really good 30-part series called "Sport and the British" - very easy to listen to, 15-minute progs; fascinating sporting history which brings the present into focus. Well worth listening to.

TalkSport do "My Sporting Life" - a sort of sporting Desert Island Discs without the music.

And there's always the "Sportsweek" podcast from the R5 Sunday morning programme. They always get a high quality calibre of guests.

For those who like a bit of sociology, the "Thinking Allowed" podcast is often worth a listen.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I checked out complete guide to everything this morning for the first time and was very impressed, very amusing.

Not really done the podcast thing up until now but this was far better than listening to Moyles on my morning commute

I shall work my wat through some of the recommendations on here

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Rhod Gilbert's best bits - very funny.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Being a big NFL fan, most of my podcasts are american podcast about that wonderful sport, giving me the sort of coverage I couldn't dream of getting on teh radio or tellybox.

But last season I did REALLY enjoy The Tuesday Club. Don't be put off by the fact it's essentially an Arsenal podcast, it is just genuinely funny.

I'm also delighted to see another series of David Mitchells Soapbox has started. That's a marvellous little 3 min rant per week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I checked out complete guide to everything this morning for the first time and was very impressed, very amusing.
As I've probably said on here I'm a huge Tim & Tom fan.
Summer Hit's was quite fun, a good 7/10.
But on occasion they properly nail an episode and I'm all but brought to tears, laughing.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
As I've probably said on here I'm a huge Tim & Tom fan.
Summer Hit's was quite fun, a good 7/10.
But on occasion they properly nail an episode and I'm all but brought to tears, laughing.

I've just finished listening to Summer Hits, really enjoyed it, I'm gonna go back through some of the older episodes, any specific ones you recall as being classics?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I mention the episode the Sunday before 19-03-2012, on this thread.
It might be worth a listen.

Also you can't miss The Bugle on this thread, they are on holiday at the moment, so again another chance to dip into the back catalogue.
The big problem of The Bugle, is it the very best of all podcasts.
If your new to the world of pod, you might find yourself peaking to soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just finished listening to Summer Hits, really enjoyed it, I'm gonna go back through some of the older episodes, any specific ones you recall as being classics?

Just listening to the SXSW episode.
I thought I had better check the recommendation, and yep it stands up.

I would say if you're not sold on this one, TCGTE, probably isn't for you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Amongst others, I listen to Danny Kelly's 'My Sporting Life'. Some tremendous interviews with ex sporting stars, some very revealing. I even got to stop hating Alan Brazil.

Some (fleeting) ex Albion players have appeared on it too, such as Micky Thomas (hatstand), Frank Worthington (not as funny as he thinks he is).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I mention the episode the Sunday before 19-03-2012, on this thread.
It might be worth a listen.

Also you can't miss The Bugle on this thread, they are on holiday at the moment, so again another chance to dip into the back catalogue.
The big problem of The Bugle, is it the very best of all podcasts.
If your new to the world of pod, you might find yourself peaking to soon.

Just listening to the SXSW episode.
I thought I had better check the recommendation, and yep it stands up.

I would say if you're not sold on this one, TCGTE, probably isn't for you.

Nice thats this evening sorted then.
I've just downloaded the latest one, which reminded me Tinx, did you ever listen to SXSW?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure Answer Me This has been recommended, but another reminder can't hurt, it's very funny.

Plus Stuff You Should Know, American Discovery/science stuff.
It falls firmly in the category of:-

great audio voices + good friends = decent podcast (and you learn something)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm sure Answer Me This has been recommended, but another reminder can't hurt, it's very funny.

Plus Stuff You Should Know, American Discovery/science stuff.
It falls firmly in the category of:-

great audio voices + good friends = decent podcast (and you learn something)

I listened to that show, and it confirmed that Posh birds do like it up the arse.

Yorkshire-Seagull

Feb 11, 2008
Frank Skinner's Absolute Radio Show
The Dave Gorman podcast
Rhod Gilbert's Best Bits
Carl Donnelly and Chris Martin
Desert Island Discs
Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Reviews
Media Talk
The Empire Podcast

All worth a listen...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports