Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Me and a friend did a podcast once at a three day ketamine run when we got obsessed by the thought of introducing Spanish Mirandes player Pablo Infante to the world. Success was limited but we did a very good job considering how ****ed up we were.

Recommend it to all of the Pablo Infante fans out there. Trigger warning: Sven-Göran Eriksson levels of Swenglish accents.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I'm seriously boring myself with callbacks to The Rewatchables, but they're at it again.
Fingers crossed they'll now have a couple of weeks of Mallory's chick-flixs and I can breath easy.

This time it's two-fold.

Tarantino's third choice is King of New York.
1990 neo-noir crime thriller exploitation film with just about everybody you want making their first big splash.

Anyhoo QT just goes nuts talking around this film.
He spends most of the time giving inside Hollywood gossip, which is fascinating.

I was somewhat meh about the film when I watched it last week, but listening to the pod afterwards really bought the film to life.

Secondly

They've just published their most relistened top 10, the winner being:-

Jaws.

That's a great listen.

Thanks again for this recommendation. Working my way through them - all a really good listen so far.

Downloaded the first 5 or so podcast/interviews from the new MyAlbionaudio thingy yesterday. A very good 60 min interview with Paul Barber and there are slightly older interviews with Andrew Crofts, Jake Robinson, CMS and Micky Adams and all are worth a listen. Hopefully they will keep adding to the collection.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My latest listen is one called The Caliphate - American but very listenable. If anyone here has tried This American life or things like Serial then you will enjoy this.

I’m listening via Spotify but assume other feeds are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Very much enjoying the podcast on retired footballers who have let themselves go a bit taking up Parkrun. It’s called “From Crouch to 5k” and well worth checking out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Rule of Three' has reappeared on my podcast feed with:-

Robert Webb on The Young Ones: Bambi

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eglantine Whitechapel Supernatural Detective. 6 episodes, 25-30mins long each. It's a comedy story that is quite surreal at times. I wouldn't say it's laugh a bit, but there are a few big laughs were episode and a general amusing sense of 'WTF?!' about it.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
In the off chance I can convince someone other than [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] to listen to movie pod The Rewatchables, this week's would be a good place to start.

I fired them up again a few months ago and they're my go-to at the moment. The routine is to see what I want to listen to and make sure I've seen the film recently, so I'll have reference points; held off on their Godfather I and II for that reason until last week and I had to walk ruddy miles until the podcast had finished, I didn't want to have to stop it halfway through!

As a true crime thing, "Hunting Warhead" is brilliant. A Canadian production about a child abuse site on the dark web, and the efforts made to, well, hunt the users down.
Talks to all sorts of people; police, techies, friends, witnesses, sociologists, and though the subject matter is dearly grim, it's un-sensationalist and fascinating.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I fired them up again a few months ago and they're my go-to at the moment. The routine is to see what I want to listen to and make sure I've seen the film recently, so I'll have reference points; held off on their Godfather I and II for that reason until last week and I had to walk ruddy miles until the podcast had finished, I didn't want to have to stop it halfway through!

Blimey that was a long walk!

Bill Simmons has sold The Ringer Network to Spotify for somewhere between $200 to $400 million :ohmy:

Obviously they're talking partnership, not takeover, and aren't talking programming.

They are talking about taking on ESPN going forward.
With the added extras of pop culture and gambling (new to the US) both of which The Ringer seem to be nailing.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Blimey that was a long walk!

Bill Simmons has sold The Ringer Network to Spotify for somewhere between $200 to $400 million :ohmy:

Obviously they're talking partnership, not takeover, and aren't talking programming.

They are talking about taking on ESPN going forward.
With the added extras of pop culture and gambling (new to the US) both of which The Ringer seem to be nailing.

I saw that but don't really get it - podcasts are released into the wild aren't they? My podcast app can pick up anything, no matter where it comes from, so what do Spotify get out of it?

Having said that, their other pop culture podcast, The Big Picture, a sort of geekier, longer, more intense, more US-centric, Film Programme, is good too. I don't have enough hours in my week though to keep up with it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I saw that but don't really get it - podcasts are released into the wild aren't they? My podcast app can pick up anything, no matter where it comes from, so what do Spotify get out of it?

Having said that, their other pop culture podcast, The Big Picture, a sort of geekier, longer, more intense, more US-centric, Film Programme, is good too. I don't have enough hours in my week though to keep up with it!

I know what you mean, the deal has been talked about for a little while and I wasn't giving it much attention, until I heard yesterday the money involved.
That then gave me pause re current content and availability.

Simmons is an interesting guy.
He's American McDonalds to our Clarkson Wimpey, without the boorishness but certainly is a man with an ego!

I first heard of him about 10 years ago as he's very much an acolyte of my man Tony Kornheiser (best pod, but far too niche for here - think Larry David) and have been listening to him, on and off since then.

BS just churns out content and is seemingly always one step ahead.
He kept with long form writing before The Athletic 'reinvented' it.
It was Bill that created ESPN's 30 for 30 series.
He's still filming long form documentaries.
He dived straight into podcasting.
He linked all his diverse content under one roof.
Getting it out on YouTube.

I rarely look at https://www.theringer.com/ website, but when I do the podcast section has normally doubled in size.
I didn't know there was a Ringer FC pod!

So there's an awful lot for Spotify to get stuck into before The Rewatchables gets stuck behind a paywall.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I know what you mean, the deal has been talked about for a little while and I wasn't giving it much attention, until I heard yesterday the money involved.
That then gave me pause re current content and availability.

Simmons is an interesting guy.
He's American McDonalds to our Clarkson Wimpey, without the boorishness but certainly is a man with an ego!

I first heard of him about 10 years ago as he's very much an acolyte of my man Tony Kornheiser (best pod, but far too niche for here - think Larry David) and have been listening to him, on and off since then.

BS just churns out content and is seemingly always one step ahead.
He kept with long form writing before The Athletic 'reinvented' it.
It was Bill that created ESPN's 30 for 30 series.
He's still filming long form documentaries.
He dived straight into podcasting.
He linked all his diverse content under one roof.
Getting it out on YouTube.

I rarely look at https://www.theringer.com/ website, but when I do the podcast section has normally doubled in size.
I didn't know there was a Ringer FC pod!

So there's an awful lot for Spotify to get stuck into before The Rewatchables gets stuck behind a paywall.

Very interesting. I've only ever known him from The ReW's but not too surprised at you relating his achievements, he does sound like a guy who'd know his journalism onions. (For another thread perhaps but those 30 for 30 docs, especially the original series? Astounding.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very interesting. I've only ever known him from The ReW's but not too surprised at you relating his achievements, he does sound like a guy who'd know his journalism onions. (For another thread perhaps but those 30 for 30 docs, especially the original series? Astounding.)

Yes I've always enjoyed them, long before I knew they were BS's.
They certainly elevated ESPN.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Breakfast Club :wink:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh FFS, I wait 3 weeks and I'm still gonna look like a stuck record.

So instead I'm going to leave this here:-

Scale the peg wall to bed.
Plug in a podcast (No Such Thing As A Fish)
and not mention 'it' for another 3 weeks. :down:

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I was knackered last night and didn't expand upon this. It's a pod studying the fall of pretty major civilizations in the past, episode 1 is the fall of Ancient Rome in Britain. Also includes Aztecs, the Chinese Han Dynasty and some more. They're getting into major epic length territory now and it's still brilliant.

Is it British or American? And if the latter is it public service broadcasting?

The length puts me off a tad but the content is right up my alley.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Is it British or American? And if the latter is it public service broadcasting?

The length puts me off a tad but the content is right up my alley.

https://fallofcivilizationspodcast.com/

Host:
https://www.paulmmcooper.com/

Paul Cooper was born in South London and grew up in Cardiff, Wales. He was educated at the University of Warwick and the UEA, and after graduating he left for Sri Lanka to work as an English teacher. Paul has worked as an archivist, editor and journalist, and has a PhD in the cultural and literary significance of ruins. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, The BBC, The Atlantic, National Geographic, and Discover Magazine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here