Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oldham have sold one of their best players

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Armstrong leaves Latics for Blades

Cash-strapped Oldham have been given a crucial shot in the arm with defender Chris Armstrong moving to Sheffield United in a £100,000 deal.

Blades boss Neil Warnock has been rumoured to be following the full-back for some time, and Armstrong has agreed to join last season's First Division play-off finalists.

The England Under-20 international is likely to prove the first of a number of players to leave the Latics, who are on the brink of folding because of serious financial problems, and Armstrong admitted he was nervous about stepping up to English football's second tier.

He told United's official website: "I'm already feeling a bit nervous but very excited about joining such a big club that did so well last season.

"I saw United quite a bit on television and was impressed with both their football and the blend of youth and experience."

Dowie blasts Oldham bosses

Oldham manager Iain Dowie has rounded on the club's management as he prepares to lose three players.

Defenders Fitz Hall and Chris Armstrong are poised to join Cardiff and Sheffield United while midfielder Tony Carss looks set for Colchester.

Oldham face a battle for survival ahead of the new Second Division season, such is their financial crisis.

But former Northern Ireland striker Dowie is unhappy at the way the people running the club are trying to raise cash.

"If I walked away now, they would sell all the assets," he told BBC GMR.

"There would be nothing left, there would be no team. I am trying to stay to provide a link between the fan base, who want a good team, and the management. They think the only way to save the club is to destroy the team.

"It is a young team, that is the point. If it was an old team, I could accept it.

"But a young team that is going to take the club forward is so important."

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Nice, hopefully a few more of their good players will have gone by the time kick off comes around on the 9th

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Originally I thought we might well lose there. If they are still in existance they should be weakend. Which is good for us. Still, hope they find a buyer, wouldn't want to see any club go bust.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Agreed Turkey, be nice if they find a buyer when they are down to their youth team, club survives and rebuilds after the season has started and we have three points on the board to get us rolling.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
good old Howard, one decent thing he did

(apart from that he was an odd manager, the man who brought Tomas Brolin to the english game, and f***ed sunderland up)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here