Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News signings

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
From the Argus.

Albion unable to match Championship big-spenders

Albion will be in the bottom half of the Championship when it comes to spending power.

That is the view of Gus Poyet as the 24-team division takes shape for next season.

Peterborough claimed the 23rd spot available by beating Huddersfield in the League One play-off final on Sunday.

Reading will remain in the second tier after their riveting 4-2 Wembley defeat to Swansea yesterday.

Poyet, who watched the play-offs via internet in Uruguay, was not too concerned who went up.

He said: “I think the only difference is that, from the outside, it looks like Huddersfield would spend more money than Peterborough.

“Huddersfield would be maybe much stronger in terms of bringing in better players and more expensive players. But Peterborough have been up there in the Championship before and come down.

“Maybe that will give them a better idea of the structure needed to stay up and help them that way.”

Asked if he knew how Albion compared with their Championship rivals in terms of spending power, Poyet said: “We have an idea.

“At the moment we will be middle to bottom half, maybe 12th, 13th or 14th, in terms of budget.

“That will make it more difficult than last season, when we were fifth in terms of budget.”

And how exactly do we know, what other teams budgets are?....Remember Bloom is one of the best poker players in the world, he is hardly likely to say we got loads of money to spend. Its all smoke and mirrors and bluff and double bluff. Poyet will have certain assurances about budgets and such stuff, otherwise he would not be so smug all the time and constantly talk of how he is going nowhere, for quite some time.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Surprised we'd be as high as 12th-14th in terms of budget. Great news if true as probably spending 20something-th currently. Some free transfer signings coming in soon then hopefully

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
And how exactly do we know, what other teams budgets are?....Remember Bloom is one of the best poker players in the world, he is hardly likely to say we got loads of money to spend. Its all smoke and mirrors and bluff and double bluff. Poyet will have certain assurances about budgets and such stuff, otherwise he would not be so smug all the time and constantly talk of how he is going nowhere, for quite some time.

This is how I see it. After spending 95m on a stadium, we have to give the impression that the budget is relatively not that high. The reality however...

waterhouse

Feb 22, 2009
somerset
does anyone actually know the clubs wage structure this season??? i don't think so, wait and see tony bloom is probably going to make a few more surprises before the season starts.....just voicing my opinion thats all.

Exactly my point. Who knows who we can afford?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's worth remembering the likes of Portsmouth, Palace and Plymouth who have overspent. I'd rather we took our time, spent wisely and grew gradually.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Worth pointing out that budgets at championship level are highly variable due to premiership parachute payments and legacy player contracts offered during premiership seasons.

That being said it's all really about getting the biggest bang for your buck. Swansea, Burnley and Blackpool are just 3 clubs in recent years who've proved success is not dependent on budget alone. The common trend is that each of those teams played with a similar philosophy to Poyet.

I would anticipate our budget will be greater than Doncaster, Watford, Barnsley and Peterborugh for certain. We are probably in the lower mid table section alongside the likes of Bristol City, Millwall, Palace and Coventry.

I'd also guess that Burnley and Blackpool have been fairly prudent with finances despite recent premiership football and may be working on a similar budget so Poyet's assessment seems pretty accurate to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here