Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

D/J Johnnie Walker.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The nice part about early generation DJs is that they knew exactly why they were there. To introduce tracks and give small amount of background info, but primarily to entertain using the music.

This is unlike the crap music 'presenters' we have on today, who want to big themselves up by doing everything else.
I get really pissed of with phone ins, quizzes, comments on their own private lives, comments on the news, comments on the weather, discussions with the travel girl, discussions with some other nobody in the studio etc etc.

Just shut the f*** up and play the music.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
He did have Arnold the dog
Johnnie Walker is the best DJ in the history of BBC since Radio 1 was founded and was always the best on Caroline.
Plus his favorite artist is Bruce Springsteen, as is mine.
Wasnt he on Luxemburg too, remember going to bed and listening to Lux in medium wave under the sheets when mum thought I was asleep in the late 60's

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
In those Radio Caroline days, I can remember sending off for a 'Johnnie Walker Kiss-in-the-car Licence'. Still got it around somewhere.
Only problem was I was too young to have a girlfriend and way too young to have a car. Got to start somewhere.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just how big/popular was Caroline and the other offshore stations ? I have googled it,but from those that remember those days how good/big were they ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just how big/popular was Caroline and the other offshore stations ? I have googled it,but from those that remember those days how good/big were they ?

Radio London was probably the most listened to although Carline was older and also kept transmitting after the ban prohibiting unlicensed stations broadcasting. You have to remember that prior to the of Radios 1,2,3 and 4 inception in 1967 the only contemporary music on the BBC was Brian Mathew's Saturday club which ran from 10am to 1pm if my memory serves. There were no independents like Capital or Heart or any of the stations we have now. Radio 1 was pop, soul and progressive, Radio 2 was easy listening, Matt Munro, Frank Sinartra etc, Radio 3 was classical and Radio 4 was news and plays and the Archers. Gien the way the music business boomer in the 60s the Pirate stations made the careers of many of the popular artists of the day.

I've nicked this from Wikipedia which does a much better job of explaining Pirate Radio in the UK

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
In those Radio Caroline days, I can remember sending off for a 'Johnnie Walker Kiss-in-the-car Licence'. Still got it around somewhere..

You can still buy them from the Radio Caroline website and mine's on my car.

As to the audience size, it's claimed that in 1967 some 30million people were listening to the Pirates.

Caroline Continues.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
In those Radio Caroline days, I can remember sending off for a 'Johnnie Walker Kiss-in-the-car Licence'. Still got it around somewhere.
Only problem was I was too young to have a girlfriend and way too young to have a car. Got to start somewhere.

Johnnie Walker started the 'kissing in the car' in his evening show by 'talking' to cars parked on the Frinton (?) seafront by getting them to flash their headlights - once for'yes', twice for'no', etc (bearing in mind the boat was 3 miles out to sea). Then at 11pm every night he would play Percy Sledge's 'Warm and Tender Love'.
Before that at 10pm he would have the 'ten o'clock turn-on' which involved either one (or three) heavy beat soul or rock records.
He became one of the 'martyrs' (along with 'Admiral' Robbie Dale who stayed on when Caroline went 'illegal' in the summer pf 1967, when all the other pirate stations closed on the Friday and half of the Radio London DJ's tipped up on Radio One the following day or the next Monday.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Johnnie Walker - brilliant. His autobiog is excellent. Same for Bob Harris & his autobiog. Noel Edmonds was actually a superb dj especially prior to the Breakfast Show. His Sunday morning show was sparklingly imaginative. And for another former pirate DJ, try Roger Day on BBC Sussex. Really knowledgeable and knows everybody from the Sixties onwards.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In the 80s it was Annie Nightingale on Sundays and on weekday nights Janice Long, Andy Kershaw and then John Peel after. When I moved to Uni and could listen to Kiss and Capital it was Steve Walsh, Tim Westood, Pete Tong, Rodigan and Dave Pearce.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Anyone remember Pete Drummond ?

Oh yes, and Spangles Maldoon, and Robbie Dale, and Mike Ahern, and Keefers, and Tom Walker, and Tony Prince, and Stuart Henry .... geek alert! :lolol:

ajackslad

May 2, 2008
Hi guys

Swansea fan here, last posted on this board about three years ago to thank you for your best wishes re our promotion.

Now it's my turn to say well done and all the best for the future, hope you have a good season and maybe have a good crack at getting another promotion!

My near neighbours down here in West Wales are from your neck of the woods and big Brighton fans. The chap and I were mutually congratulating each other a few days ago when we last bumped into each other.

Stumbled upon this topic about music and radio somehow, but I was a Radio Caroline DJ in the late 1980's onboard the Ross Revenge. Always interesting to read people's views on what makes a good DJ. Personally I always thought John Peel, Johnnie Walker and Stuart Maconie were some of the best BBC deejays. Excellent knowledge of the music they were playing, and a nice style of presenting. I thought Johnnie was not so good when he did the BBC Radio 2 drivetime show, wrong type of music for him and programme content, although he made a good job of what he had to do.

Maconie and I seem to share common musical tastes and his biography was very good. Ordinary bloke that hasn't sold out it appears.

Anyway, best wishes once again. And if anyone wants to anorak about radio and the radio ships, I am open to discussion!
:)

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
Radio 1 started on Saturday 30th September 1967, Tony Blackburn had the first programme at 7am at 8.30 he handed over to Junior Choice presented by Leslie Crowther (dont remember him doing it always thought it was Ed Stewart), other presenters on Day 1 were Keith Skues, Chris Denning, Pete Murray, Pete Brady and Wally Whyton. Few blasts from the past there

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here