Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santiago Garcia

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If Harris is saying this I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Gus watches loads of footie from all over the world and if he thinks this guys worth a gamble then sign him up I say.

We have money but not money to waste. I think the people demanding 'names' are misguided. Calderon wasn't a name, Bridcutt wasn't a name.. In fact name one player last year who was? Arguably Greer? Gus will spend the right money onthe right players and everyone demanding we spend silly money on a name will no doubt be proven wrong.

The setup the club has to find talent is like no set up our club has EVER seen before. We are well and truely stepping up to the big time. It's investment like that which shall see the club progress. Not spending money we don't have chasing a dream.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I don't know if anyone can find the data for budget V league position - it is a major factor but management is also important. There are bargains out there - sinclair went to swanse for 500,000

I don't know if anyone can find the data for budget V league position - it is a major factor but management is also important. There are bargains out there - sinclair went to swanse for 500,000

The management test is what this season is all about - it really is all Gus Poyet's ball-game now.
Thinking about it, why should anyone expect him to get it on a plate through replacing quality squad players who helped earn promotion and then suddenly sweep the board of those lads with imports?

Gus has those players honed into his way of playing and his personality - all get a crack at the Championship challenge and let's see how we get along. We are not going to win every game, and some month or other maybe not win any!

Look, we had a month in this last season of winning the league where we didn't win, we dropped points in some matches, and we still finished as Champs a month before the end of season while Sadhampton in second had to keep up and wait for the last day to get promoted.
Okay, so we probably won't have the luxury to afford silly dropped points or injuries or lose players to other clubs - but the personalities we have already at the club just get to show their character and professional application.

Clough took a load of misfits and carthorses to the European Cup and took it home.
Even our Gus has worked behind a supposed managerial genius who couldn't win shit.

It's not going to be about the dogs in the fight.......

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Wonder if a top Uruguayan side would take a punt on Chris Holroyd on the strength of a carefully edited Youtube video with a rocktastic soundtrack?

We missed a trick there didn't we? A wee bit of CGI & he could've been bangin' them in against a hapless looking Man U defence at Broadhall's Lil' Theatre O' Dreams.

And the rock-tastikk soundtrack? 'Pinhead' by The Ramones. Obviously. :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This whole 'unknown player' phrase is really starting to get on my tits.

EVERY player is 'unknown' until they become 'known'.

Just because YOU haven't heard of them, even with your WORLD KNOWLEDGE of football, doesn't mean they aren't good.

Man United signed some unknown Mexican kid called Hernandez last summer. I wonder how many of their fans knew of his footballing career?

West Brom signed a nigerian reject from Moscow who the fans THANKED for helping them get rid. He wasn't too bad.

I think we once signed an unknown called zamora. He was ok.

I assume EVERYONE knew about the world renowned Inigo Calderon before we signed him or the Wolves reserve Elliot Bennett or the young Plymouth reserve Ashley Barnes or the released Chelsea reserve Liam Bridcutt etc etc etc etc

And PS to anyone deluded enough to think we could get CMS. He is going to the prem.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Just because YOU haven't heard of them, even with your WORLD KNOWLEDGE of football, doesn't mean they aren't good.

Man United signed some unknown Mexican kid called Hernandez last summer. I wonder how many of their fans knew of his footballing career?

West Brom signed a nigerian reject from Moscow who the fans THANKED for helping them get rid. He wasn't too bad.

I assume EVERYONE knew about the world renowned Inigo Calderon before we signed him or the Wolves reserve Elliot Bennett or the young Plymouth reserve Ashley Barnes or the released Chelsea reserve Liam Bridcutt etc etc etc etc

And PS to anyone deluded enough to think we could get CMS. He is going to the prem.

Top post. Although I think the Moscow fans were more pleased at the fact Odemwingie was another black player out of the team, having seen the banners during and after his departure.
This guys been called up to the Uruguay national team, the same team as players like Luis Suarez, Edinson Cavani, and Diego Forlan (talking of CMS, some people were deluded enough to think we should be targetting Forlan!!).
He'd be an incredible signing.
I always have a look on football rumours, I know its 99.999% bollocks, but it's a laugh to see some of the names mentioned. "Apparently" Gus is in Uruguay and we're about to confirm his signature for over £1m, despite competition from Porto :lol:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Big old sub-Continent with many rich clubs. And if he's genuinely any cop he'll have appeared on European radars of clubs with far more spending power than us. We apparently can't even afford to keep hold of Murray.

Really don't see why we have to fawn over random Uruguayan players on Youtube just because we have a Uruguayan manager.

On Muzza... I think you'll find we CHOSE NOT to meet his exorbitant wage demands for an unproven Championship striker...

Top post.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Loved the video of this guy, including the commentators...

IF Gus likes him, then I'm sure he will be a great signing... the 'unknown player not a good idea' nonsense spouted by some above is embarrassing, and the response by mejonaNO12 is a brilliant one; nail on head...

Let's just see what happens, shall we...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Spot on. Anyone expecting "names" is going to be disappointed this summer. We will be getting young hungry players with a point to prove.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Spot on. Anyone expecting "names" is going to be disappointed this summer. We will be getting young hungry players with a point to prove.

I think i would consider Hoskins a 'name' and although there not in the bag i would also call Buckley and Lua Lua 'names. Anyway i love signing a randomer, my top champ abilities have come about from scouring the furthest points of the Earth to unearth some right gems from the most random countries. The thought of signing an unknown foreign player is always a very exciting one as there is always a chance he could be the next best thing. Unfortunately this didnt happen with Battepiedi or Baz but we certainly did well with Calde. In Gus we trust. End Of for me!!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Why not? Have you seen him play? Do you know better than Gus - remember him saying he wants people who fit in with our style, and Garcia may be a fantastic signing

No , no nothing about him other than unproven. Always unsure of these foreign imports , always exceptions Calderon etc but far to many turn out to be Baz Battiepiedi, especially strikers. Back him and of course be excited if it happens but given a choice I'd rather us get a proven champ striker.......maybe being unrealistic , who knows

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Just done some googling on this fella, and think he'd be an immense signing, sounds like he's a bit o a Uruguayan sensation and not far off a call up to the Uruguay squad (which is not bad going when forlan and suarez are the two main strikers). And he's known as 'the bull' which is flair enough for me!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Uruguay play 2 mini leagues in the season? [/URL]

They do that in Argentina as well, it's weird.

Football in Uruguay is mental, the Montevideo derby between Nacional and the other main team (cant remember what they're called) had to be played behind closed doors for a while. I think they might have even played it in Spain once because it got so bad. Amazing really for a country that is so relaxed and chilled out in every other way.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
top scorer in the team that won Uruguay's top division overall..... Got to be good..... interesting stats, looks like Uruguay play 2 mini leagues in the season? in first Garcia scored 15 goals in 15 games..... and christian palacious was top scorer in second (go get him Gus). Our new front line :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_Uruguayan_Primera_Divisi%C3%B3n_season

Looks like he has lost his form! 15 from 15 in the first league, but only 8 from 15 in the second. Or is he injured?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here