Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santiago Garcia

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
There's absolutely no way, if we can't afford Murray, that we'll ever get CMS. I'd rather we go for a mixture of a few unknowns with a few good football league standard players to be honest

We CAN afford Murrays wages BUT Poyet, by all accounts, doesn't think he's worth £10k a week and would rather spend it on someone else...If some other shitto team from pikey land want to go into administration and splurge all their cash on a one season wonder then thats their fault!

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
We CAN afford Murrays wages BUT Poyet, by all accounts, doesn't think he's worth £10k a week and would rather spend it on someone else...If some other shitto team from pikey land want to go into administration and splurge all their cash on a one season wonder then thats their fault!

By afford, I should be clearer: there will be far too much competition for CMS for us to get him on a fee/wage that we dould be willing to pay, as other teams, especially prem teams, will be able to splash out stupid amounts for him. I can't see us spending £3 million on one player to be honest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I fear it will be a long time before we can compete financially for proven-at-the-top-level-English-strikers so in the meanwhile it's down to unearthing gems like Barnes, picking up players who are not quite the finished article like Wood, or hoping to find an overseas player who can make the adjustment. Like Garcia perhaps?

Why ?

I'm not saying we're going to be throwing large amounts of cash around willy-nilly, but the club is probably on the most sound financial footing in its history. The Amex will generate HUGE revenues from season ticket sales, the corporate boxes, sponsorships, functions etc etc, so I don't see why we can't begin competing with clubs for some quality signings, rather than relying on punts on unknown foreign kids and unearthing lower league players who might be able to make the step-up.

I have faith that Gus will strengthen the squad to make us competative at this level. Thats not to say we won't bring in the odd kiddie with "potential" in here and there - but we're going to need a LOT more than that if we're going to not just survive but thrive in the Championship. Otherwise, whats the point of getting promoted if we're risking slipping straight back down again through not properly investing in the 1st team.

I'll be very disappointed (and concerned) if we don't bring in several recognisable 'names' who have proved themselves at this level before. Its essential.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
With our creativity I think splashing out on CMS would be worth it. He's proved at this level that he can score goals for fun and he scored 12 in the Championship for Peterborough. I think he'd be worth a bid.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Are you suggesting that they don't have scouts in South America who keep tabs on the most promising players in their own sub-Continent? If this guy's such a hotshot, why's he not been snapped up over there?

I really hope we don't get some random average Uruguayan player who will no doubt have to bring along a little footballing friend to keep him company. They'll then take all of next season to Acclimatise To The English Game before being discarded as duds.

I'd rather we acted like an ambitious Championship club and signed CMS and George Boyd. OK, they wouldn't come cheap, but as an investment in players capable of taking us to the next level the outlay would be relatively modest. Having spent all that money on a splendid new stadium, why would you then go and skimp on players capable of advancing the club even further?

cinque bellios

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why ?

I'm not saying we're going to be throwing large amounts of cash around willy-nilly, but the club is probably on the most sound financial footing in its history. The Amex will generate HUGE revenues from season ticket sales, the corporate boxes, sponsorships, functions etc etc, so I don't see why we can't begin competing with clubs for some quality signings, rather than relying on punts on unknown foreign kids and unearthing lower league players who might be able to make the step-up.

I have faith that Gus will strengthen the squad to make us competative at this level. Thats not to say we won't bring in the odd kiddie with "potential" in here and there - but we're going to need a LOT more than that if we're going to not just survive but thrive in the Championship. Otherwise, whats the point of getting promoted if we're risking slipping straight back down again through not properly investing in the 1st team.

I'll be very disappointed (and concerned) if we don't bring in several recognisable 'names' who have proved themselves at this level before. Its essential.

Posting Easy :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why ?

Until I read this it hadn't occured to me that we might be letting our best player go and not bothering to replace him and bring in other players until we had seen what was left just before the seson started, after all the other clubs had had their pick. I will be more than a little worried if we go down this route again. I too expect some "name" signings long before the end of pre-season. That's not expecting too much and it's not going to happen is it??

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Home born and bred strikers are just too over-priced and Murray is a classic example - an average record and one very good season and suddenly his earnings' target rockets out of all proportion. An overseas player with a similar track record would cost a fraction in fees and wages. It's why the premier league is so full of overseas players - they are (relatively) affordable.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
No. 1 - it is a rumour, all the others have been shot down so why believe this one ?

No. 2 - if this had been a rumour last season we would have been wetting ourselves with excitement 39 in 69 sound good to me. Isn't this flairtastic ?

Lots of hypocrites on here.

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
Im suprised there are so many people concerned by this rumour ?? anyone whos played champ manager or Football manager knows this is the route to taking Brighton & Hove Albion from Div 1 to Premiership... you use your scouts to watch for overseas cheaper gem, maybe watch them 3 or 4 times and if the scout says yep you do it..

then you pay less wages and fees to bring them to English league and hey presto you have yourself a key player BUT on same pay as back up or regular players.. surley everyone knows that :)

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I'd rather we acted like an ambitious Championship club and signed CMS and George Boyd. OK, they wouldn't come cheap, but as an investment in players capable of taking us to the next level the outlay would be relatively modest. Having spent all that money on a splendid new stadium, why would you then go and skimp on players capable of advancing the club even further?

Wage structure?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Are you suggesting that they don't have scouts in South America who keep tabs on the most promising players in their own sub-Continent? If this guy's such a hotshot, why's he not been snapped up over there?

I really hope we don't get some random average Uruguayan player who will no doubt have to bring along a little footballing friend to keep him company. They'll then take all of next season to Acclimatise To The English Game before being discarded as duds.

So going by your views on this i guess you would have preferred that we didn't take a gamble on Zamora all those years ago and instead gone for a proven player like Kitson then? Maybe we shouldn't have signed Gary Hart either as he was an unknown non-league player so could never make it playing for us?

Maybe players like Santiago Garcia (even if there isn't any truth in this rumour) are only affordable to us when they are starting out and once they become established and highly rated its too late as they become targets for top division clubs and also would have moved beyond our range in terms of transfer fees and wages. What if a player we were after turned out to be the next Rooney, we might be able to sign him at 17 or 18 before he was known but soon he would have been far beyond our reach. Wouldn't it be better to have a player like that for a season or 2 and then sell him on rather than say "i don't want him because i haven't heard from him and he isn't coming from a big club"

We as a club have to gamble on players from time to time, some will pay off, others won't but its something all clubs have to do. There isn't an endless pot of money clubs can use to buy in players like Boyd or CMS, we should never spend beyond our means and risk doing a Pompey or Palace or even worse one on the clubs that never survived the admin process just because some fans were unhappy that we haven't spent enough on buying in expensive footballers to satisfy them that the club is ambitious enough. Surely it is better to take a few risks in the hope that we can find those hidden gems that would do as good a job or even better but at a fraction of the cost.

In respect to CMS, I believe that Peterborough valued him at around £5M and they want to keep him, do you think spending that much on him would represent a good investment? or that he would even consider leaving Peterborough and joining us, especially if reports are to be believed that Premier league teams have been watching him? - What if we spent all that money from our playing budget on one player and he then suffers a bad knee injury after a couple of games and his career goes the same way as Adam Hinshelwood as a result? would it have been worth putting all our 'eggs in one basket' or should risk management play a part in our future? It is a squad game after all and how many players could we get in that could do a job for that money?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's from the 'Football Rumours' site, the same site that stated Murray would be joining Bristol City THE DAY AFTER he'd signed for Palarse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here