Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Santiago Garcia

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Wonder if a top Uruguayan side would take a punt on Chris Holroyd on the strength of a carefully edited Youtube video with a rocktastic soundtrack?

Are you suggesting that, if there is any truth in this, Gus would have not checked him out properly? It is far more likely that we will get someone who he has been keeping tabs on for some time, and is 100% confident that they will add something to the team that we don't already have.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Are you suggesting that, if there is any truth in this, Gus would have not checked him out properly? It is far more likely that we will get someone who he has been keeping tabs on for some time, and is 100% confident that they will add something to the team that we don't already have.

Are you suggesting that they don't have scouts in South America who keep tabs on the most promising players in their own sub-Continent? If this guy's such a hotshot, why's he not been snapped up over there?

I really hope we don't get some random average Uruguayan player who will no doubt have to bring along a little footballing friend to keep him company. They'll then take all of next season to Acclimatise To The English Game before being discarded as duds.

I'd rather we acted like an ambitious Championship club and signed CMS and George Boyd. OK, they wouldn't come cheap, but as an investment in players capable of taking us to the next level the outlay would be relatively modest. Having spent all that money on a splendid new stadium, why would you then go and skimp on players capable of advancing the club even further?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
HTML:

I thought we already had a 20 goal a season striker.....oh..... sorry looks like "had":shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Are you suggesting that they don't have scouts in South America who keep tabs on the most promising players in their own sub-Continent? If this guy's such a hotshot, why's he not been snapped up over there?

He plays in their top division, and for the national U-20 side. What's your definition of 'snapped up'?

Sep 1, 2010
HTML:

I thought we already had a 20 goal a season striker.....oh..... sorry looks like "had":shrug:

Are you using a ZX Specrtum?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
he cant be any worse that pile of poo that we signed from Stoke on loan a couple of seasons back.......what a plonker....names escapes me..arremendes or something like that

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

I really hope we don't get some random average Uruguayan player who will no doubt have to bring along a little footballing friend to keep him company. They'll then take all of next season to Acclimatise To The English Game before being discarded as duds.

I'd rather we acted like an ambitious Championship club and signed CMS and George Boyd. OK, they wouldn't come cheap, but as an investment in players capable of taking us to the next level the outlay would be relatively modest. Having spent all that money on a splendid new stadium, why would you then go and skimp on players capable of advancing the club even further?

Somehow, I think you are going to be rather upset then. The chances of us paying over the odds for players of the quality of CMS are very slim I would have thought.

I am very happy to trust Gus to unearth some more gems like Calderon.

IF, and I say IF, we can find some real gems, then we have a real chance of pushing for the Premiership. Unfortunately, I do not think that TB has the money to buy enough established English players to push for it. Id do like CMS, particularly because how hard he works. However, his price is too high to make him a good buy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He plays in their top division, and for the national U-20 side. What's your definition of 'snapped up'?

Big old sub-Continent with many rich clubs. And if he's genuinely any cop he'll have appeared on European radars of clubs with far more spending power than us. We apparently can't even afford to keep hold of Murray.

Really don't see why we have to fawn over random Uruguayan players on Youtube just because we have a Uruguayan manager.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Big old sub-Continent with many rich clubs. And if he's genuinely any cop he'll have appeared on European radars of clubs with far more spending power than us. We apparently can't even afford to keep hold of Murray.

Really don't see why we have to fawn over random Uruguayan players on Youtube just because we have a Uruguayan manager.

No, you're right. We shouldn't sign any promising talent, that you haven't heard of. Let's sign half a dozen 36 year old journeymen, on £10k a week.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
For a combined £4milllion pounds? For two players so good that Peterborough came straight back down from the Championship a year ago, on the strength of their talents?

That's the level we should be pitching at IMHO. Should have made more of an effort to retain Crofts. Should be making more of an effort to retain Murray.

Oh, and Peterboro will continue tumbling down the divisions until they sort their joke of a defence out. Very little to do with CMS and Boyd. They're doing their bit.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Uruguyan football is very competitive - quite similar to our own - which makes it easier for players to settle. This guy has played at the top level and this has been his breakthrough season as a first team regular.

In truth this rumour is as reliable as all the others which is to say, not at all.

But if we could believe it, then he would be a very good signing indeed. I fear it will be a long time before we can compete financially for proven-at-the-top-level-English-strikers so in the meanwhile it's down to unearthing gems like Barnes, picking up players who are not quite the finished article like Wood, or hoping to find an overseas player who can make the adjustment. Like Garcia perhaps?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here