Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Installation Help! And planning permission...

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Hello!

So I'm hoping someone out there has the knowledge to help me with this!

After being tipped off about possible needing planning permission I contacted the council...I quote:

"Part 1 Class H of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2008 (as amended) gives permitted development rights for the installation of satellite dishes. Provided the size and siting meets the requirements of the Order, planning permission is not required even when located within a Conservation Area. However these Permitted Development rights have been removed from your property by the Council with an Article 4 Direction as a way of controlling the impact of satellite dishes within a sensitive area."

Does this seem a little ridiculous? I live very central in a built up area with Sky dishes seemingly all around me ...

Has anyone else been in this situation and just done it anyway? The planning process seems a bit much given the proposal.

The alternative is attaching a dish to the back of the house at the end of a small extension, but looking at the direction the dishes are facing, it would hit the wall of nextdoor's house..is there a way round this? Very much hoping someone who fits aerials or Sky is reading!

Sorry for the boring thread!

Cheers.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Hello!

After being tipped off about possible needing planning permission I contacted the council...I quote:

"Part 1 Class H of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 2008 (as amended) gives permitted development rights for the installation of satellite dishes. Provided the size and siting meets the requirements of the Order, planning permission is not required even when located within a Conservation Area. However these Permitted Development rights have been removed from your property by the Council with an Article 4 Direction as a way of controlling the impact of satellite dishes within a sensitive area."

Does this seem a little ridiculous? I live very central in a built up area with Sky dishes seemingly all around me ...

Has anyone else been in this situation and just done it anyway? The planning process seems a bit much given the proposal.

The alternative is attaching a dish to the back of the house at the end of a small extension, but looking at the direction the dishes are facing, it would hit the wall of nextdoor's house..is there a way round this? Very much hoping someone who fits aerials or Sky is reading!

Cheers.

can't help re the planning but i wanted SKY at the back of my house out of preference but the fitter wanted to put it on the front. The compromise was me paying £20 extra for a special high bracket which lifted the dish sufficiently high enough to get the required signal. I'm sure if you tell the fitter you want it at the back they will do it for you somehow.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My advice is go ahead and install it anyway. I very much doubt the council will bother with you if there are plenty of dishes about. Don't tell anyone and you should be fine. The worse that can happen is someone grassing you up and the council writing you a letter to apply for planning.

Where i use to live i had a right tosser of an old bloke(not even in by close) who grassed me up. Sky themselves couldn't install the dish as it was a problem job and i had to get a private contractor out to do it. I even got permission to use a friends wall as i had no signal where i wanted it to go.
I got letters from the council which i ignored.I did phone the council over it but ended losing my rag. I totally ignored them after that and nothing ever happened.

So many people put dishes up without permission.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The main problem in my experience is Sky fitters, they (have told me on 2 occasions) don't have insurance to work at heights so will fit it wherever they can get away with at low level. after having this issue previously I told the Sky fitter not to bother and called an independent fitter who put it exactly where I wanted it. As for planning, the extract you've quoted seems to confirm that you don't need it unless there has been a special restriction placed on your house.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I might add that the fitters will test for the best signal strength and advise you where best to install the dish.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The main problem in my experience is Sky fitters, they (have told me on 2 occasions) don't have insurance to work at heights so will fit it wherever they can get away with at low level. after having this issue previously I told the Sky fitter not to bother and called an independent fitter who put it exactly where I wanted it. As for planning, the extract you've quoted seems to confirm that you don't need it unless there has been a special restriction placed on your house.

Agree with this and the problem i had. One of the restrictions is... if your home is a listed building. I was also told you wasn't allowed two dishes on the same wall. Not sure how true this is though.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove

The quote is from an email from a 'planning technician' who told me that my row of houses in that restricted zone. It really is 7 terraced houses though, opposite my road is a road of council owned housing that has Sky dishes all along it, so they've had no problems down that road...

So I've asked if I need permission, they said yes, but if I do it anyway you genuinely think they won't notice? It is just a case of no-one grassing me up...including the police station opposite!

Next-door do have a dish, but the old lady is unquestionably a little bit crazy and I think she'd have a heart attack if anyone knocked at her door...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why would the police get involved ? It's a council issue.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Agree with this and the problem i had. One of the restrictions is... if your home is a listed building. I was also told you wasn't allowed two dishes on the same wall. Not sure how true this is though.

If at front of house it would technically be the same wall as next-door..but reading the quote it seems to be regarding the impact aesthetically of the dishes only...which is a bit ridiculous.

Really thinking the back of the house is touch and go...the extension is about 6/7m off the ground at the roof level, hoping that will give it enough of an angle to clear the roof of the house for some kind of signal...thoughts?!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If at front of house it would technically be the same wall as next-door..but reading the quote it seems to be regarding the impact aesthetically of the dishes only...which is a bit ridiculous.

Really thinking the back of the house is touch and go...the extension is about 6/7m off the ground at the roof level, hoping that will give it enough of an angle to clear the roof of the house for some kind of signal...thoughts?!

They can put dishes on poles like they did for me for clearance.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I might add that the fitters will test for the best signal strength and advise you where best to install the dish.

Not if you get a sub contractor , they'll want to put the dish up as quickly as possible and then f*** off onto the next job. :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

If you live in a conservation area or your gaff is a listed building then restrictions apply. You are allowed 2 dishes on your property in most of the UK if there are no restrictions , one up to 90cm and another up to 60cm in diameter. If the dish is going to be sited in an awkward spot or above 1st floor height then Sky will still do the installation if the Special Heights team is booked (2 man job) but if they refuse the job on health and safety grounds you'll need an independent installer.

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
I'm looking to upgrade my dish from a single lnb to a quad and came across Squish and Selfsat antenna when searching the net. Whats different about them is that they are both flat antenna measuring about 65mm x 300mm x 560mm but without a visible lnb. They are advertised as being of use when there are planning restrictions such as in a conservation area so it may be useful to you to google one or both.

The one BIG drawback is their cost. They come in different configurations but for one with a single lnb you would be looking at around £130 (compared to £35 for a standard sky dish). For a quad it would be very close to £200.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Hello!

Cheers.

I can help if you like. pm me.

Not if you get a sub contractor , they'll want to put the dish up as quickly as possible and then f*** off onto the next job. :lol:

Stop being a twat.

I'm looking to upgrade my dish from a single lnb to a quad and came across Squish and Selfsat antenna when searching the net. Whats different about them is that they are both flat antenna measuring about 65mm x 300mm x 560mm but without a visible lnb. They are advertised as being of use when there are planning restrictions such as in a conservation area so it may be useful to you to google one or both.

The one BIG drawback is their cost. They come in different configurations but for one with a single lnb you would be looking at around £130 (compared to £35 for a standard sky dish). For a quad it would be very close to £200.

The squish works okay and you can photograph the wall, send it to them & they will send you a transfer to put on the dish. Personally I dont think it is worth the extra money as it will always be visible. If you already have a dish, just whack a quad lnb on it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Stop being a twat

90% of white van subbies dont do the job properly because they have too many jobs booked for the day. Are you one of the few conscientious subbies ? :lolol:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I dont understand why you can't put it below ridge height on your rear roof slop? Any other houses on your row with sky dishes up? If so getting permission will just be a formality...

Aldridge Prior

Aug 3, 2010
My advice is go ahead and install it anyway. I very much doubt the council will bother with you if there are plenty of dishes about. Don't tell anyone and you should be fine. The worse that can happen is someone grassing you up and the council writing you a letter to apply for planning.
Not true. I've got a colleague at Asda and he was banged up for six years in Lewes Prison for doing exactly this.

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
I dont understand why you can't put it below ridge height on your rear roof slop? Any other houses on your row with sky dishes up? If so getting permission will just be a formality...

One lady but she seems mental..but then someone else has hidden theirs round the side of the house to get away with it..definitely not a formality as I need to do scaled drawings for it! Council lady sent me a map and the other side of the road is not in the zone for planning which is ridiculous.

Back of the house should be fine though! The 'sensitive area' is obviously the front of the house.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here