Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Croydon - UK's most modern skyline!

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
According to radio in SW London, Croydon was awarded this 'status' in 1980 -even the radio DJ was taking the piss. The last 30 years clearly haven't been kind.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Maybe I’m biased but I think Croydon’s skyline is pretty impressive. It’ll be even more impressive when they finish the new 42 floor residential tower. Croydon_Skyline_2007_by_andrewvaughan.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If it's so impressive then how come Al Kyida haven't attacked it yet ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I remember that skyline being built in the early 1960s. We were all VERY proud of it and it was called 'mini-Manhattan', there was a fly-over and an underpass and EVERYTHING! I lived up the hill in Sanderstead and I could see the buildings going up from my back garden in Church Way.

A much-maligned town Croydon for those who don't know it. Unlike Brighton where it takes DECADES to get anything approved and built Croydon is quite a progressive town not scared of change (it put a new tramway in as well)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It does have a hell of a lot of hideously ugly buildings though. When are they going to knock that monstrosity of a post office next to the station down?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When are they going to start building that super-duper development by the station? Or was it only viable before the Global Financial Crisis?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've always quite liked the 50p building :shrug:

Yes but to bring it into line with current Croydon accounting practices it's now known as the half pence in the pound building.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Got relatives in Church Way. But anyway have lived and worked in Croydon over the years and always found the continuous development impressive. Even more being planned I understand around East Croydon. Always amazed by the number of ex-croydonites I have bumped into around my part of the county having moved out with their families.

It does have a hell of a lot of hideously ugly buildings though. When are they going to knock that monstrosity of a post office next to the station down?

Useless fact coming but I used to work there during the late 80s and early 90s. It was far better than the building which replaced it on Beddington Farm road built very close to the sewage works (smell of which was piped directly into the work area) and had these very cheap and nasty flickering flourescent lights. The management were puzzled by the sudden rise in sickness days there compared to the old site.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When are they going to start building that super-duper development by the station? Or was it only viable before the Global Financial Crisis?

It's on the way now - I work on Cherry Orchard road, alongside the railway line, and the houses next to the road have just been all demolished, and Any johnson house is on it's way down. the royal mail building and the Porter and Sorter are next. Once they've all gine they have a huge area both sides of the raillways line to develop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here