Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Argus:

Albion are locked in a battle with Glen Murray over the worth of their top goalscorer.

The League One title winners have offered the out of contract striker a substantial pay rise in a deal they feel fairly reflects the value of a player unproven at Championship level.

Murray and his recently appointed new representative are unhappy with the offer and he could go elsewhere with Millwall favourites to land the 27 year old if agreement cannot be reached with the Seagulls.

A spokesman for Murray claimed 'If they come up with an offer which represents his market value, in line with other clubs, then he would be more than happy to sign because he loves playing for Brighton. He wants to stay, there is no doubt about that. He loves the fans and has an enormous amount of respect for the club but at the moment the offer is nowhere near the market rate of what Glenn deserves for where he is at'.

Albion are reluctant to increase the deal on the table as they believe they can land a more experienced and proven forward on the same terms.

Millwall,Crystal Palace, and Southampton are monitoring the situation closely.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Time to let him go. If he loves playing for the Albion as much as he says, such an inflated pay packet wouldn't be relevant. Sure - there should be a payrise to reflect his performance and the move up to Championship football, but I'm glad to see that the club aren't being held to ransom over this. No-one is bigger than the club.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't break the bank for him. I'm not sure he would be prolific in the championship anyway.

Give him what he wants and will this stop any future sulking = unlikely !

With the noises coming out the club Glenn won't be the main man next year anyway and his ego may not take this

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
So he really, really wants to stay? Is anyone stopping him from staying apart from himself?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I blame his agent, they are the leeches of modern football.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
It's not worth spending more on him, if he wants to go let him go. His ego gets the best of him, he should start playing football for the club and not the money.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Glenn's all round game was critical to our success this season, and whilst I agree that we shouldn't break the bank to keep him, I believe it will be tough to find someone better.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Argus:

Albion are locked in a battle with Glen Murray over the worth of their top goalscorer.

The League One title winners have offered the out of contract striker a substantial pay rise in a deal they feel fairly reflects the value of a player unproven at Championship level.

Murray and his recently appointed new representative are unhappy with the offer and he could go elsewhere with Millwall favourites to land the 27 year old if agreement cannot be reached with the Seagulls.

A spokesman for Murray claimed 'If they come up with an offer which represents his market value, in line with other clubs, then he would be more than happy to sign because he loves playing for Brighton. He wants to stay, there is no doubt about that. He loves the fans and has an enormous amount of respect for the club but at the moment the offer is nowhere near the market rate of what Glenn deserves for where he is at'.

Albion are reluctant to increase the deal on the table as they believe they can land a more experienced and proven forward on the same terms.

Doesn't look good. This is the sort of article that comes out every time we are going to lose a player. It is a pity Gus didn't take a chance last summer and add another year onto his contract then at least we would be in a stronger position.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think anyone should be classed as being in the wrong here, it's just a bit of a stalemate.

The club don't want to break the wage structure, that's fair enough.

If Murray can get more money at another club then I don't blame him for going.

Any talk of market rate and what he deserves is total bollocks though

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Bloom smart guy he won't bend over backwards for one player, don't want to upset other players. If Murray jumps ship he more than likely will end up like like most ex-albion players, in a lower league. It's a team game, if Murray goes then you can be pretty confident Poyet will replace him with a more than capable player. If Poyet goes heaven forbid.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Argus:

This the key bit for me. Let's hope they have someone in mind if Glen leaves. Mind you, we'll need to sign 3 strikers if he goes!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It looks exactly like I was guessing it would. Oh well, I have every confidence that we will get a better player to replace him if the greedy bastard walks.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Will be impossible to replace with a like-for-like player. And our record of recruiting strikers hasn't been great in recent years, so if we need THREE then this is a worry.

I think he will stay though. It's just money wrangling - exactly what you'd expect a seller and a buyer to do.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good as he is Murray is just one player, to break the wage structure would lead to disharmony amongst other players. If he gets a better offer elsewhere thanks and good luck Glen. He is not irreplaceable.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Gus has shown in the past he will not be messed with. This is a player who is unproven at Championship level and it looks likely, if he stays, will not be No.1 choice to lead the attack. Everthing points to Poyet having some new forwards in mind and has put his cards on the table.

Shanker45

Jan 19, 2010
East Preston,West Sussex
Are we being a little harsh on Glen? If your current employer offered you say a 3% pay rise in recognition for a good years work and then a rvial firm came in to head hunt you and offer you say a 10% rise - would you not consider it and try to get more out of your exisiting employer?

Loyalty in football is now very rare. Likewise do the Albion risk upsetting other players by paying Glen substantially more, I don;t think they should or will.

I still feel this will run on for a good few weeks yet, it's one thing other fairly local clubs "monitoring the situation" but have they actually offered him a better deal?

I trust Gus and Tony to do what's right for the Albion - going to be an interesting Summer!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If Murray's representatives are saying the offer is nowhere near what other clubs are willing to offer - and the club are not willing to offer that sum for an unproven at championship level striker, it does beg the question who we'd be able to attract who is a proven championship striker. Especially since those other clubs would, if logic follows, be willing to offer even more for a proven championship striker.

I love Glenn and I think he'd be a huge miss (his hold up play and movement are better suited to the Champos imo) but i also don't want to break the bank - but if there's a grain of truth in what the agents are saying then he's off and things will be even more complicated for us. Someone's bluffing!

If clubs" are willing to pay reckon they must be miles apartthen how are we going to land a player (27 at the peak of his game

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Are we being a little harsh on Glen? If your current employer offered you say a 3% pay rise in recognition for a good years work and then a rvial firm came in to head hunt you and offer you say a 10% rise - would you not consider it and try to get more out of your exisiting employer?

Loyalty in football is now very rare. Likewise do the Albion risk upsetting other players by paying Glen substantially more, I don;t think they should or will.

I still feel this will run on for a good few weeks yet, it's one thing other fairly local clubs "monitoring the situation" but have they actually offered him a better deal?

I trust Gus and Tony to do what's right for the Albion - going to be an interesting Summer!

'3%' and 'substantial' are not quite the same are they ? Loyalty has nothing to do with it, ask Alan Navarro, get injured and then the club shows it's sense of loyalty.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Be nice if he stays, but good opportunity to upgrade for the demands of the championship (a level that Murray is unproven at), if he departs.

Seem to remember a lot of people thinking we wouldn't cope without Nicky Forster - but hey - life goes on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here