Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pubs that are closed down.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The situation about pubs closing down has got very serious. Drove through Handcross and noticed the one at the end of the road in front of the football pitches was it called The Fountain is now boarded up. Also went past The Piltdown Man and that has scaffolding all around it and looks like that has closed anybody know. The Ansty Cross had a a sign up closed, a couple of weeks ago and there doesnt appear to be any sign of life there so maybe that also has closed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sign of the times BG. A pint costs £3 ish now, nobody's got any money to spare so something has to give. I don't know of any publican who isn't feeling it at the moment, but I guess the same can be said for many trades.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sad Times indeed. I have been in both The Fountain and The Piltdown Man in the past.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
In Littlehampton alone in the past 18 months they have lost the Steam Packet,Wickbourne Swan,True Blue,Gratwicke,Locomotive,Marine,Mistys and the Spotted Cow.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
The Oak in Brighton St James's Street was the only pub in the area that showed football. Closed a few weeks ago as the leaseholders were losing too much money on it. Lots of people (including mates of mine) want take it on and run it as it was, but Enterprise Inns who own it are insisting any new lease holder repair a collapsed wall in the beer garden (even those happy to not even open the beer garden) which makes it unviable. Will end up either flats or another gay karaoke bar, meaning nearest pubs showing footie are 10 mins away. Shit. Enterprise, Punch Taverns and the like are first and foremost property speculators. That is why so many pubs are closing.
:(

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Oak in Brighton St James's Street was the only pub in the area that showed football. Closed a few weeks ago as the leaseholders were losing too much money on it. Lots of people (including mates of mine) want take it on and run it as it was, but Enterprise Inns who own it are insisting any new lease holder repair a collapsed wall in the beer garden (even those happy to not even open the beer garden) which makes it unviable. Will end up either flats or another gay karaoke bar, meaning nearest pubs showing footie are 10 mins away. Shit. Enterprise, Punch Taverns and the like are first and foremost property speculators. That is why so many pubs are closing.

The collapsed wall is being repaired this weekend by me and my son. I understand that the pub will be re-opening in about a month's time.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Like you say MacKenzie it is happening everywhere eleven have 'gone' in Leek alone it the last nine years and as for some of villages serious problems,one has even been taken over and run by the villagers themselves.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't think it is the 'pubs taking the piss with prices' more of being 'tied' to the brewery,surely under European law that must be illegal ?

Most of the big companies like Punch Enterprise etc own the property but do not supply the beer hence the break up of the big brewers in the late 80s as demanded by the monopolies commission. It was stated that brewers could not own more than 1200 pubs, I think that was the figure. Hence the likes of Watneys Whitbread Ind Coope etc ceased trading as brewers and brought about leasehold pubs rather than the tenancies as they were. This brought about Inntrepeneur subsequently sold to Enterprise and Punch. This was the start of the end of pubs as we all knew them.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ain't that the truth, the buildings are usually worth many times the price of the business.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
The collapsed wall is being repaired this weekend by me and my son. I understand that the pub will be re-opening in about a month's time.

Great the only proper pub in the area, I own a business just across the road and was totally shocked when it suddenly closed overnight The only place where the old boys in the area could drink, Just proves how hard it is always busy but still couldn't make it pay Very Sad

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Just asked someone in the know. Seems the guy who has the Basketmakers is the new leaseholder of the Oak. Hope he keeps it as a football pub, rather than an overpriced foodie/tourist pub like the BM is. Time will tell, I guess. Happy it's reopening as a pub either way x

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Ain't that the truth, the buildings are usually worth many times the price of the business.

If you live in West Sussex you will see that the asset stripping bastards known as Hall & Woodhouse have filleted the old King & Barnes estate.

Not only did they shut & sell off the Horsham Brewery almost straight away but also lots of the pubs which, surprise, surprise happen to be in prime housing spots.

Any pub they do refurbish loses any K&B logos or any connection to Horsham.

Haven't ventured into a Hall & Woodhouse pub since the takeover, would be happy for them to go to the wall - just an aside that their beer is piss poor as well...:angry:

bob monkhouse

Hmmmm........
Jul 6, 2003
Liphook
The bull tree in lancing is now closed and is to be turned into flats.
The half brick in east Worthing is currently being demolished and will also have flats built on the site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here