Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL season 2012

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
it's draft day so i thought i'd start this thread off (did search in case there was one already but couldn't see it.)

here's hoping we actually have a full season but am going to ignore the lockout for now and act like we are.

finally got a decent team coming to london for the international series :thumbsup: can't wait for that. we're planning to get over to chicago for a few games but going to wait on the negotiations before committing to anything.

so, draft day. it's live on espn tonight and also 5 live sports extra have commentary.

chicago pick 29th. i'd have loved dareus but he will be gone in the top five - almost certainly to denver surely. so maybe marvin austin from the tar heels or perhaps ot derek sherrod.

looking forward to it, wonder if the not being able to trade players will mean we have a lot more draft pick trades.

anyway. lets go bears.

ps congrats on your promotion, not sure i've been on here since then. :drink:

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Nice, another Bears fan.

For the draft, obviously DT is top priority but there's still holes on the Offensive Line, at WR and I still think there needs be a Corner drafted. Nate Solder and Derek Sherrod seem to be the two most likely players to be taken with the first round pick.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
With so many holes in the Redskins squad there should at least be someone of quality left by pick ten, looking for o-line, d-line, secondary and a QB, I have no idea who we'll go for. Looking forward to the coverage tonight though, and fingers crossed we actually get a season this year, my gut feeling says we will.

As for the International series I wonder if tampa will end up relocating to London, this is their second game in just a few years.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Good to see the Annual NFL thread,

As a Packers fan I'm not sure where we start as far as the Draft goes! I guess even the Champions have room to improve! I have been reading up on the Lockout over the past few weeks - really hope it gets sorted soon. Too much money, and everyone's getting greedy.

For my Dad's birthday over Xmas and New Year we've booked flights to Chicago and plan to go up to Green Bay to see either the Bears or Lions game. The former might be quite hard to get tickets - Christmas Day game at the Lambeau to see Packers v Bears!!!

Starry - what's your gut feeling regarding next season - will we have one?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For my Dad's birthday over Xmas and New Year we've booked flights to Chicago and plan to go up to Green Bay to see either the Bears or Lions game. The former might be quite hard to get tickets - Christmas Day game at the Lambeau to see Packers v Bears!!!
Perhaps you'd be able to also buy rocking horse pooh, from Lord Lucan before him and Shergar ride off into the sunset!
Good luck with that, I would be sooooo jealous if you could pull off that miracle.

Jul 7, 2003
As a Broncos fan, our draft options have been somewhat limited by the dreadful dealings of McDaniels last year (the worst being Maroney:facepalm:) our saving grace is the number 2 draft position. Given that we basically need a whole new D I'm torn between using the draft to get a defensive star or trading to get more picks.

However, it will be how good Elway, Xanders and Fox are at using the free agent market rather than draft picks that will determine our chances for next couple of seasons.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Cam Newton first draft pick for Carolina. No surprise with that one really.
Will be interesting to see who the Giants draft, A WR would be on the top of my list.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
The Jags drafted some QB with a ridiculous American name from Mizzou. My 14 year old son was quite excited by it. It took some of the sting out of the Magic getting eliminated from the NBA play offs tonight for him.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
The Jags drafted some QB with a ridiculous American name from Mizzou. My 14 year old son was quite excited by it. It took some of the sting out of the Magic getting eliminated from the NBA play offs tonight for him.

i was surprised that blaine wasn't taken sooner than 10th - especially to see locker go before him. he's not going to be first choice right away ahead of garrard but he is a sound qb. i'm a mizzou fan and seen a lot of him, disappointed he came out as a junior and didn't come back for another year.

decent pick for the bears. am happy with carimi, but seems like our doofus of a general manager is going to cost us our forth round pick for the cock up in teh trade up with the ravens. stupid idiot. anyway, carimi is a decent addition to our o-line.

as for will we have a season? i think we'll have football next year but i am doubtful that it will all be agreed in time for an on time start to the season, think it'll be delayed and a shorter season.

willyfantastic - who are your college team? missouri tiger here, my brother went to college there and we stuck with them ever since.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Will be interesting to see who the Giants draft, A WR would be on the top of my list.

Prince Amukamara was a surprise selection by the Giants when they seemed to go after talent rather than need. Their most obvious concerns were at linebacker and the offensive line. They took most of their 10 minutes to make the selection and Amukamara came in at No. 19, it was thought he would get picked a lot higher than that. I think he’s a good choice as he has the speed, size and strength to take on tall speedy receivers.

Jul 7, 2003
At this rate there will only be a fantasy league as the dispute in the real one doesn't seem to be any closer to resolution.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
i was surprised that blaine wasn't taken sooner than 10th - especially to see locker go before him. he's not going to be first choice right away ahead of garrard but he is a sound qb. i'm a mizzou fan and seen a lot of him, disappointed he came out as a junior and didn't come back for another year.

decent pick for the bears. am happy with carimi, but seems like our doofus of a general manager is going to cost us our forth round pick for the cock up in teh trade up with the ravens. stupid idiot. anyway, carimi is a decent addition to our o-line.

as for will we have a season? i think we'll have football next year but i am doubtful that it will all be agreed in time for an on time start to the season, think it'll be delayed and a shorter season.

willyfantastic - who are your college team? missouri tiger here, my brother went to college there and we stuck with them ever since.

I kinda follow 2 colleges for various reasons:
Notre dame as they are on eurosport therefore were the first team I ever watched.

Oregon ducks - flair playbook, flair jerseys and and amazing game against auburn in the bcs game this year

I also like Clemson for no good reason at all.

I'm up for a fantasy league if anybody has a good website to use as I've never done it for NFL before

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
so, we're still in the lock out. there have been some good columns posted up on nfl.com recently about who needs to budge and what needs to happen to get the deal agreed. they estimate that once a deal is agreed it will take 10-14 days to get it all ratified and signed. the bears are due to report on july 22nd for the hall of fame game on august 7th so time is ticking. i don't think we're too far away from an agreement now, but who knows. i see the retired players have lodged a law suit now asking that current players are not to represent them in the deal and they want their own representative.

sad news about john mackey, they say the type of dementia he had was caused by the number of knocks to his head when he was playing.

kerry collins retired - not sure jake locker is ready to step up immediately. be interesting to see what happens once the lock out is over, because of the timing between it ending (hopefully) and how soon the start of the season will roll around it could be pretty interesting to see who snaps up who on free agency.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
so, we're still in the lock out. there have been some good columns posted up on nfl.com recently about who needs to budge and what needs to happen to get the deal agreed. they estimate that once a deal is agreed it will take 10-14 days to get it all ratified and signed. the bears are due to report on july 22nd for the hall of fame game on august 7th so time is ticking. i don't think we're too far away from an agreement now, but who knows. i see the retired players have lodged a law suit now asking that current players are not to represent them in the deal and they want their own representative.

sad news about john mackey, they say the type of dementia he had was caused by the number of knocks to his head when he was playing.

kerry collins retired - not sure jake locker is ready to step up immediately. be interesting to see what happens once the lock out is over, because of the timing between it ending (hopefully) and how soon the start of the season will roll around it could be pretty interesting to see who snaps up who on free agency.

I think the time it takes to get it ratified will in reality be flexible according to how much time they have before it impacts pre-season. If they need to ratify in 7 days, then I think that's what will happen.

My opinion of D-Smith has turned around 180 degrees in the last few weeks, he seems to have been doing a great job of moving teh destructive elements (lawyers!) to teh back of the dealings, but I do think this move from the retired players could be a very nasty spanner in the works. I hope not, as things appear to have moved forward very well the last few weeks.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The 8th Circuit have ruled, voting 2-1 that teh lockout is legal, and can therefore hold pending a CBA being agreed.

Hopefully, it's a mute point by now, as we do seem to have both sides working towards a settlement, realising that it damages everyone if revenue is lost due to missing pre-season, let alone some of the season. While this is obviously a ruling in favour of the owners, I think it would be dangerous for them to try and use this as leverage to reduce what has been on the table the last few weeks.

Leave the position from the owners as is, and hopefully the players will see that as a position that is more palatable to take on the basis that the legals are currently going against them, and against what their lawyers have been advising them would happen.

Come on guys, let's just get this settled and play some ball.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here