Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ugliest building in BRIGHTON

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
Was just reminiscing about the Tricorn Centre in PORTSMOUTH and what a horrendous (not to mention DANGEROUS) eyesore it was.

What about in Brighton, then? Plenty of new architecture has gone up in recent years, and not all of it PRETTY. Probably nothing up there with the TRICORN CENTER, though.

OR IS THERE?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
New England House has to be in with a shout, why it's not been demolished I don't know.

medium

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
there's a book called brighton in the sixties and it details a lot of the demolition and building in the period.

those councillors back then have a lot to answer for, but people thought differently in the 60s and i'm actually a fan of some moderne architecture, i just feel that brighton never got anything of any merit from that era - the examples above back me up i think

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Tricorn was a total shocker. I remember seeing something called the Park Estate (I think) in Sheffield, where some northern genius of 1960s planning decided it would be a marvellous idea to build loads of horrendous concrete council flats right on top of the hills surrounding the city, this allowing everyone to enjoy the architecture. I have a feeling they're probably listed now, despite their ugliness. & what's that massive council flat complex they're trying to demolish in London right now?? The one where thousands of residents have been moved out & they're being held up by one of two stubborn pensioners refusing to leave? Think it might be the Heygate or something like that. I suppose at least Brighton doesn't have anything on that scale, ugly though Anston House, New England House and half the seafront might be.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
blimey..1st 3 pics... 1) Preece Cardew and Rider where I worked 2) New England house where my dad worked 3) Bedford on Cavendish place where I lived....

My world was filled with ugliness!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
New England House has to be in with a shout, why it's not been demolished I don't know.

medium

Maybe because a lot of businesses are still based there and it serves it purpose adequately?
A lot of the buildings mentioned here I would say are not ugly, just of their time.
The only real eyesores would be the multi-storey carparks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Somehow that looks less offensive in a picture than when walking past. Being able to step back and see it all helps, but up close it's just a mess.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Somehow that looks less offensive in a picture than when walking past. Being able to step back and see it all helps, but up close it's just a mess.

What makes it worse is that it replaced this
41894.jpg

I know it burnt down, but surely they could have come up with something better

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here