Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's National Falmer Day - Post Your Stories HERE

Yoda

English & European
Hello :wave:
Just got back from the LONG trip to Chester.

Went up yesterday afternoon with my g/f to avoid a rush and stayed at a Chester based seagull fan, at uni. So there was just the three of us trying to do our best with their highest gate of the season, 3318. :ohmy:

First stop was the supporters club. Got quite a few letters signed there as well as a good hundred letters/leaflets handed out/left on the table by the door.

Then it was up to the main gate to hand out as many leaflets to people walking in. The general attitude from Chester fans was brill, as they were in the same boat a few years back. It was 'you helped us out so we'll do the same' sort of thing.

Not overtly great from the Burton fans but they were taking the leaflets to look at.

Nothing in the programme but I don't think they were notified in time, not all the board knew what was going on even tho they guys we contacted had notified the stewards we were going to be there.:dunce:

Didn't manage to get a word with either Nigal Clough or Mark Wright :(
but the two local papers, the Chester Leader & Chester Chronical, both took a load of info and some pic's of us at half time with a couple of posters we had done, as the banner was too big for the shot.:lolol:

They are both going to be doing something in this weeks papers for us and will send us a copy when it's in.

All in all around 300+ leaflets handed out and a comical goal for Burton to take the lead.(I'm never going to worry about back passes to Ben Roberts again);)

Pictures to follow when we've downloaded them.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We have just seen Rotherham's goal on tv and you can see our blue and white stripes standing out amongst the red shirts, at the top of the screen, as their goal goes in.

Wonder if the 3rd eye will spot us?

cab

Feb 20, 2004
Crawley
Just to let you know that Steve Duly the MD at Crawley said this in the Programme:

"B&HA have a free day today due to their scheduled opponents Tranmere Rovers success in the FA Cup, and we welcome any followers of "The Seagulls" who have made the short trip up the M23.

We were delighted to be able to show our support of Brighton's proposed move to Falmer, in the shape of a letter to the Deputy Prime Minister. Inserted in today's programme is a flyer from B&HA, with all of the contact details to send correspondence in support of the new stadium.

The harsh reality is that the club could cease to be without the move, and we would urge you to take time out to show your support."

Hope this is to your liking!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
its 12am after a very decent punk gig/day out in london, handed loads of the little flyers out and even got a good response from a bournmeouth fan at the gig. Used the flyers as a chat up line and got onto some bird after telling her I played for BHA on £3000 a week :lolol:

quite a few pics on my phone so i'll get them up tomorrow

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm amazed - considering the numbers there - that there aren't already loads of reports from Crawley.

I arrived an hour before kick off to find cars all over the place. The place was buzzing already.

Had to park in Southgate and noticed that the Half Moon pub had been taken over by Weymouth fans. Walked to the ground with some very drunk examplas of same, who managed to make an incredible amount of noise in the subway under the A23. Lots of great renditions of "Is this all we take away".

At the ground, Paul Samrah was set up with a microphone and was talking non-stop. Several people were handing out leaflets in the North West corner of the ground, and I had a scout about to see how things were covered. Loads of Brighton fans about, but I soon noticed that the gate used for those with tickets bought in advance was not being covered and most of those going in that way were not passing anyone else. I therefore set up there on my own and mangaged to hand out all my leaflets by about 2.40. In the middle of it, a noisy bunch came through and had a bit of a set to with a couple of drunk Weymouth fans. I ended up in the middle of it all, but luckily it didn't kick off!

I didn't get anyone giving me any grief about our plight, and most people were very supportive. I was surprised at how many wished us the best and said they were fully supporting us over Falmer. Most of those who refused leaflets did so because they had already written to Prescott of had picked up a leaflet elsewhere.

I stood in the NE corner, where there was a big group of Brighton fans. The Weymouth fans were much noisier than the Crawley lot. There didn't seem to be many Crawley singers at all!

The first half was a little drab as both sides appeared to be too frightened of losing to put much together, but the second half was much better and burst into life when Crawley scored two quick goals - one from Paul Armstrong and the other coming from a shot from Danny Marney that the keeper couldn't hold.

Crawley were comfortable after that, until suddenly conceding a goal out of nothing. This led to a tense last 10 minutes or so in a hail-storm with Weymouth laying seige to Crawley's goal. A very funny miss from Claridge was the nearest they came to scoring, though, and Crawley held on for a deserved win.

The announcer made several mentions of Falmer before the game and again at half time and thanked us for attending. There were two articles in the programme as well as the inserts that I had given them. There was also a large Stadium Yes banner that moved around at the South end of the ground. All in all, a good effort all round!

Oh, and Paul Samrah was interviewed for the local news programme - which I saw, but can't remember if it was on BBC or ITV! He may even have been on both.

cab

Feb 20, 2004
Crawley
Oh and now I've turned the page to a huge write up about yourselves. Your Chief Executive Martin Perry has conveyed his thanks to all fans for their support and there is a brief history about the club and previous ground problems. Then all the details we need to write and a reminder of the urgency, as Prescott (sorry, did I swear) could make his decision any day now!!

Jul 10, 2003
The Icknield Way
Just back from AFC Wimbledon. What an awesome day. I'm willing to bet that the Dons fans signed more letters to Prezza than anyone else.
I'm sorry if myself and Mark (The Grim Reaper) seemed to spend more time in the bar than anyone else, but were collecting signed letters like nobody's business.
Huge respect to Kris, Ivan and Ronan (I owe you some beer) at AFCW. Matt Alexander the Cobham manager, who signed a letter. Man of the match: 17 year old Lewis (yes, no, dunno). Anyone who helped out, everyone we talked to and the guy from the K's trust.
Lovely to meet Jan, Trish, Matthew , Phil and Mrs. Phil (sorry, I've forgotten your name). Somehow I feel this isn't our last visit to Kingsmeadow.

Sam

Oh, and there's a lad called Jones (that's his FIRST name) who came on as sub for AFCW. You'll be hearing more about him soon.

This is from the Bury FC Official Website:-

Breaking News

Brighton Fans Make Their Point

Five Brighton & Hove Albion supporters arrived at Gigg Lane early on Saturday to try and hit home their 'Falmer' campaign and received a superb response from Bury fans

The five were allowed onto the pitch at half time and held their banner aloft as they walked the entire perimeter of the pitch. All Bury supporters were on their feet applauding the five seagulls as they made their protests known.

Thankfully the five walked in front of the TV cameras and as soon as the video is received, a copy of the walkpast will be sent down to the Official Brighton website for their World subscribers.

A few photos taken by the Brighton fans are shown below, and we are sure the Seagulls would welcome all Bury internet users by visiting a superb message board at www.northstandchat.com

Then follow two of the pictures posted by Padders earlier in this thread

Last edited:

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Fantastic reading.

All those involved in the planning and operation should be loudly applauded.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Mr C and I went to Colchester V Hartlepool.

Got there just after 1.00. Met their Chief Exec. She was very supportive, as Colchester have a similar planning issue.

Handed out just under 400 leaflets. Also enlisted help of burger van, newsagent, programme sellers, and one of the turnstile operators, who is 'half Colchester, half Brighton' :clap2: :lolol:

Response from just about everyone was top class. Expect to get a good response of letters/emails sent.

We watched the first half in the Colchester end. Colchester were the better team in the first half. Their approach play was good, but finishing was appalling. Hartlepool took the lead against the run of play. Colchester equalised from a corner. It was the only way they were likely to score!

At half time we switched allegiances, and went into the away end
:lolol: :lolol: . Fair play to the stewards for allowing us to do so.:clap:

Our switch had a telling effect on the game! Hartlepool were by far the better team in the second half, and probably just about deserved their 2-1 win. Not good for Albion's league position, but at least it made 'Pool's fans even more receptive to our leaflet campaigne!

Both sets of supporters are looking forward to their trip to Brighton in the coming weeks, except those who said 'we're not paying 21 f***ing quid to come down there.' That was about the worse abuse we got!!

Also fair play to the Hartleppol team and staff. Mr. C well and truly 'Falmered' them as they arrived. They were really supportive and receptive.

All in all a good day.

Last edited:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Great work everyone, shame I couldn't go anywhere because of work:( . However I did go to the Brighton Bears game as I also work for them, braders & co made a great deal of noise:clap: :clap:

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
Top work everyone.

Reading this has made me feel quite emotional at times. You are all legends, all doing your bit so thank you.

A job well done.

Brighton fans have to be the best fans in the world

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
here's one of the pics from near Covent Garden/Oxford Street area, handed out a few of the little flyers and stuck many to windows and left some in phone boxes too.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The tube stations got a few aswell!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
West Ham 0 Walsall 0

I actually thought that there were only going to be 4 or 5 of us. It turned out that there were over a dozen of us handing out leafets.

West Ham fans, on the whole, were very supportive; a few said that they had already written, most said that they would. There were a few 'you're having a laugh, you poofs', but the VAST majority were excellent.:clap: :clap: :clap: There was complete surprise, and we got a lot of funny looks with all the Brighton shirts there! A few of them congratulated us for getting off our arses, and were genuinely admiring of our own efforts for our football club.

No mention in the programme. We weren't trying to get signatures. We did get the feeling that a lot of fans were oblivious to our plight, so leaflets were the order of the day. Contrary to mendoza's thread, I think we got through closer to 2,500-3,000 leaflets.:clap: :clap:

One West Ham fans even stopped for a while to help with the distribution of leaflets.:clap: :clap:

Look out on Monday for a picture of Sir Geoff Hurst holding up a 'We Want Falmer' banner. Brilliant work everyone.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Pics from me during the week.

BTW West Ham were mediocre, but Bobby played a blinder. Marlon Harewood is another Jermaine Defoe - very selfish. David Connolly (he is class) had to spend a fair amount of time moaning at him for his lack of teamplay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here