Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there any advantages to drinking ALE instead of LAGER?

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
i too have stopped drinking lager and now drink Ale. Less calories in Ale, and it doesn't bloat me up with gas.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ale is the way forward, you should have got yourself to the Hove beer festival a couple of weeks back.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
There are fewer chemical additives in ale, compared to cheap mass produced lagers, therefore ale not only tastes better, but it is better for you.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Does ale make any difference to hangovers? Have been considering a switch from lager for a while and that could be the clincher.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Speckled Hen, Hophead, Hobgoblin, Harveys mmmm

A coincidence most of my favorites start with the letter H i am sure....

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
If you drink ale instead of lager you don't look like a tastless buffoon who makes his drink choices based on mass advertising campaigns rather than actual preference.

Plus you won't have to walk around with one of those ridiculous glasses that some lager brands have to make their drin stand out!

Healthwise or otherwise?

Whilst in bonny wee JOCKLAND at the weekend I sampled several ALES - Deuchars IPA, Hobgoblin and another Caledonian one to name a few - and found them very TASTY. Far less GASSY than lager and no sign of a hangover.

Is ALE the way FORWARD? :drink:

Deuchars - mmmmmmmmmm good!!

If you are talking about properly brewed lager made in this Country or imported from source I would say no, it is a matter of taste.

If you are talking lager brewed in a huge industrial plant licensed from somewhere else yet playing on the "continental" image more than flavour or quality, yes definitely. The same comments apply to Cider as well (yes I know it isn't brewed).

Definitely a yes from the hangover viewpoint, a decent real ale shouldn't give you one unless it is off.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Does ale make any difference to hangovers? Have been considering a switch from lager for a while and that could be the clincher.

Yes, lagers have added salts which make you more dehyrated. But you have to learn to refuse it if it's off, as you can end up in bed for DAYS after drinking a dodgy pint. It should never be AT ALL cloudy, despite what some people say. I wonder what the quality at the Amex will be like?

Other advantages include:

-Better for the environment - locally produced, less carbon miles
-Far more VARIETY of flavour
-Cheaper
-Lower in calories
-Fewer chemical additives
-Fresh, live product (it has to be freshly made, or it's off)
-Good for British jobs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from the brewing process, Beer contains soluable fibre, vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. i have read that the positive health effects are similar than red wine. super mass produced lager style beers strip much of this goodness out, so they can lager for a shorter time and they put fewer ingedients in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here