Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket club looking for new blood

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
:jester:Staplefield Cricket Club are on the look out for new blood for the new season, they play in Mid Sussex League 2. If you no the area you will no its blessed with a cracking village green, a pub at each end and a beautiful old style pavillion, the club won the Mid Sussex League 2 three years ago and came second in there first crack at league 1, but due to losing some players last year, struggled some what and with the league rehaping this season fimd themselves in league 2 again.

If your interested in joining a club that plays the game in the right spirit, has a laugh and a pint or 2 at the end, then please let me know....all abilites welcome!!:drink::drink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
At what number does the young lady in your avatar bat...? :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
That's the one feature of staplefield I always remember. The odd shaped green surrounded by roads with a little kiddies park at the very end if memory serves me correctly?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
That's the one feature of staplefield I always remember. The odd shaped green surrounded by roads with a little kiddies park at the very end if memory serves me correctly?

Thats correct, on a sunny day its superb over there, you get the villagers come out for picnic on the green, drinking from the pubs, its a good place to pay cricket and nice hard wickets as well, so always plenty of runs o be had!!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You have to be careful where you park you car at Staplefield otherwise you're quite likely to have to make a call to Autoglass if a big hitter gets in. Whenever I've played there I've always made sure to park behind the pavilion rather than on the side road.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
You have to be careful where you park you car at Staplefield otherwise you're quite likely to have to make a call to Autoglass if a big hitter gets in. Whenever I've played there I've always made sure to park behind the pavilion rather than on the side road.

We played Smallfield last year and there opener hit a huge 6 and it smacked by DADS car just above the drivers window and he was sat in there at the time with my 2 daughters playing in the back.....very scary moment when as a fielder you can see whats going to happen, but nothing you can do about it!!!! he parks round the back now!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

yes i took out a volkswagen combi one afternoon....went like a tracer bullet!!!

playing at Hurstpierpoint a few years ago, I was going well and hit a huge six that landed on Ian Chapman's sun roof and shattered it into a million pieces. His dad had just parked it in the car park.

( hit 80 odd in 10 overs!!)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For any of those over East Sussex way, around Eastbourne way, Eastbourne Downs CC a "touring" club need players for some Sunday games this season.

Locally known as "The Clowns" we have a friendly camaraderie and a rather poor recent success record, which we need to improve. Therefore Albion supporters with "attitude" are welcome. Many of the team support Albion.

Contact Dave on 07505 355838 or Martin on 07769 636759.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For any of those over East Sussex way, around Eastbourne way, Eastbourne Downs CC a "touring" club need players for some Sunday games this season.

Locally known as "The Clowns" we have a friendly camaraderie and a rather poor recent success record, which we need to improve. Therefore Albion supporters with "attitude" are welcome. Many of the team support Albion.

Oh and our masseur is called Brendan...:whistle:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember playing against eastbourne downs when I played for Kemptown many many years ago

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:jester:Staplefield Cricket Club are on the look out for new blood for the new season, they play in Mid Sussex League 2. If you no the area you will no its blessed with a cracking village green, a pub at each end and a beautiful old style pavillion, the club won the Mid Sussex League 2 three years ago and came second in there first crack at league 1, but due to losing some players last year, struggled some what and with the league rehaping this season fimd themselves in league 2 again.

If your interested in joining a club that plays the game in the right spirit, has a laugh and a pint or 2 at the end, then please let me know....all abilites welcome!!:drink::drink:

I owned one of them there pubs a few years back and unfortunately found some of the cricketers up their own arses. This especially being that at the time they were a very poor side, perhaps times have changed for the better and they have moved on!

It is certainly a nice outlook for playing.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Paddy Byrne still play?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

Probably about 20 years ago now, but I stroked a sweet 50+ runs on that village green on a pleasant Saturday afternoon. Seem to recall the wicket had good pace and bounce [so fun to bowl on too].

Make sure you field "top-side" else a good hit down the slope might need a quick jog in to Haywards Heath to retrieve ....

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Oh and our masseur is called Brendan...:whistle:

Does my father in law know he is now appointed Downs club masseur? He's sitting with me at the Albion tomorrow so perhaps you can break the exciting news to him. He might like to go shopping for a Mankini with Horny

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Never played at Staplefield, but used to play regularly against Kemp Town and Eastbourne Downs in 70's and 80's.
East Brighton Park was a nightmare if you were fielding at fine leg or third man if there was another game going on behind you, every time you heard a heavy connection from the other pitch, you were worried that one might hit you on the back of the head.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Never played at Staplefield, but used to play regularly against Kemp Town and Eastbourne Downs in 70's and 80's.
East Brighton Park was a nightmare if you were fielding at fine leg or third man if there was another game going on behind you, every time you heard a heavy connection from the other pitch, you were worried that one might hit you on the back of the head.

Nothing compared to playing at Preston park with 4 games going on. When I was a youngster my run up started almost at the next games wicket!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here