Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Official can´t catch us thread ***

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
A win or a draw on Tuesday means that Plymouth would be unable to overhaul us, match by match the list of teams that cannot go above us will increase.

See the list grow on this thread.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The calculations ought to factor in what happens if Plymouth argyle become defunct. Would be rather silly if it is declared that a team can't catch us when events mean they can.

Eees complicated.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it's early then it is only by a day. As the op says, tomorrow could see us put the first team out our reach. Once that is four teams we know we are safe for another year!!!!!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not IMO, if we win tomorrow we could be mathematically safe from relegation.

No we won't. We'd be on 68 points.

The four lowest maximum points are:

Plymouth 65
Bristol Rovers 66
Swindon 68
Walsall 68

We therefore need 69 to guarantee safety, due to goal difference (unless swindon and walsall both drop points v plymouth and orient respectively).

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
No we won't. We'd be on 68 points.

The four lowest maximum points are:

Plymouth 65
Bristol Rovers 66
Swindon 68
Walsall 68

We therefore need 69 to guarantee safety, due to goal difference (unless swindon and walsall both drop points v plymouth and orient respectively).

But if those teams lose tomorrow, they'll have one less game to play, so can each get 3 points less maximum.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But if those teams lose tomorrow, they'll have one less game to play, so can each get 3 points less maximum.

Hence the line "unless swindon and walsall both drop points v plymouth and orient respectively"

But a win alone is not enough. It's enough to put us clear of plymouth and bristol, just not relegation without the above caveat.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hence the line "unless swindon and walsall both drop points v plymouth and orient respectively"

But a win alone is not enough. It's enough to put us clear of plymouth and bristol, just not relegation without the above caveat.

Yes and if you re-read what I posted you'll see that I said that if we win we COULD be safe, in fact we could be safe with a draw if Swindon, Walsall and Bristol all lose.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Actually I do like this time of year in promotion/playoff seasons when someone does a table showing where we'd be if we didn't get another point for the rest of the season and everybody else won all their games. Yes I know it's 'stupid' as it's physically impossible for it to happen, but it's always nice watching us move up the table as we gain points and others 'lose' them.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
A win or a draw on Tuesday means that Plymouth would be unable to overhaul us, match by match the list of teams that cannot go above us will increase.

See the list grow on this thread.

I like this thread. Murcia will you be updating this for the rest of the season?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
The first 4 drop in!!! Walsall, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth and Swindon have all left it a bit late now and we can OFFICIALLY no longer be relegated.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
The first 4 drop in!!! Walsall, Bristol Rovers, Plymouth and Swindon have all left it a bit late now and we can OFFICIALLY no longer be relegated.

Anyone remember fancy dress at Hartlepool in the early 90's when (after we lost) the announcer came on and said "we are safe" and everyone gave him the bird :)

Happy days...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We are staying up, say we are staying up!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I guess next to look out for are Yeovil (currently 73) and Tranmere (75).

tangfastic

Nov 1, 2009
hove
can someone please post mc hammer on this thread, seeing as i seem to be unable to follow a simple instructional video on embedding you tube videos :shootself

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here