Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Crawley fan' gets suspended jail sentence and fine for Man U gesture

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
BBC

A Crawley Town football fan has been given a suspended jail term after he pleaded guilty to mocking victims of the Munich air crash in a music video.

James Butler, 19, from the Sussex town, was charged with using threatening, abusive or insulting words with intent to cause harassment alarm or distress.

He appeared before Crawley magistrates, where he was sentenced to eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months.

Butler was also told to pay £85 costs and given a 12-month supervision order.

Sentencing him, chair of the bench Rosemary Scott said he had offended wide sections of the footballing community.

"This was a deliberate and planned action targeted at a wider audience and considered grossly offensive to both Manchester United FC and Crawley Town FC and the public in general," she said.

The video was posted on the internet ahead of the FA Cup clash between Crawley Town and Manchester United.

The Munich air crash happened in February 1958 when United were returning from a European Cup tie against Red Star Belgrade.

Their plane crashed on a runway after a stop-off at the West German city's airport.

The crash left 23 people dead, including eight United players.

The music video to mark the FA Cup match was filmed at the non-league club's ground last month ahead of the match on 19 February.

It was a reworking of The Specials' hit, A Message To You, Rudy, adapted by musician Mike Dobie with the new title A Message To You, Rooney.

Club officials failed to realise that in the background Butler was dancing by the stage making aircraft gestures.

In the video, he also held his fingers up to show one, nine, five and eight to symbolise the year of the air crash.

Butler, of Beeches Crescent, was arrested after a Manchester United fan complained.

Jeremy Boots, defending, said Butler was remorseful and had asked for full credit to be given for his early guilty plea.

"He wants to apologise to the court for his behaviour," he said.

Magistrates were told that police would apply separately for Butler to be handed a football banning order.

The video was posted on YouTube and Crawley Town's official website.

United went on to win the game 1-0.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont for one second think what he did was either funny or a good idea but when did it become illegal to mock an event like this?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
"eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months"

Kiddy fiddlers get less than that.

Are they going to do the same to all those Liverpool fans when they do the same on Sunday?

Pathetic!!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Personally, although the guy came over like a prize idiot, an eight week suspended jail sentence seems a bit ott! Especially when you have Ashley Cole discharging a firearm and 'accidentally' shooting someone and it seems legal action will not be forthcoming!

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
"eight weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months"

Kiddy fiddlers get less than that.

Are they going to do the same to all those Liverpool fans when they do the same on Sunday?

Pathetic!!

Or far more likely to all the United fans who will sing about Hillsborough and Heysel.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Personally, although the guy came over like a prize idiot, an eight week suspended jail sentence seems a bit ott! Especially when you have Ashley Cole discharging a firearm and 'accidentally' shooting someone and it seems legal action will not be forthcoming!

This. Completely This.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Its all getting a bit out of hand isn't it.

Rob someones house, beat someone up, and you get a slap on the wrist and a bit of community work.... it you can be bothered to do it. Take the piss, and you get a suspended prison sentence. Only in Britain!!!

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
I don't usually join in the why oh why, what is the world coming to bollocks, but this seems completely over the top. Why does the judicial system need to get involved in this, complete waste of everyones time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably because he has previous. And it was clearly pre-meditated and done in the knowledge it would be in the public eye.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Will he get a 3 year banning order ? Had the magistrate known he was actually a Palace fan he would have got a custodial sentence.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm sure there are many football fans who have sung some very horrible chants in their youth, who would now continue to be vociferous in support of their team but would refrain from things like this.

I am one of those.

The guy deserved a slap or two from his peers but the courts, police or authorities should NEVER have been involved.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's been banned for life by Crawley anyway. Which probably won't affect him one bit..

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I dont for one second think what he did was either funny or a good idea but when did it become illegal to mock an event like this?

When somebody makes a complaint that it has offended them the police have no choice but get involved I believe but Edna might correct me

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
When somebody makes a complaint that it has offended them the police have no choice but get involved I believe but Edna might correct me

So if I said that your post had offended me, Sussex Police would have to investigate? Now lets all search for what Withdean Wanderer has posted over the years on here...........

BHAFCONTOUR#1

Jan 17, 2011
scummy palace fan but in hindsight there was no need for the rozzers to get involved especially when Ashley Cole (wanker!) gets away with shooting some young person on work placement sort it out Government!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
scummy palace fan but in hindsight there was no need for the rozzers to get involved especially when Ashley Cole (wanker!) gets away with shooting some young person on work placement sort it out Government!
He got away with it because the victim didn't want to 'make a complaint' against him. He's been bought off as so often happens with rich people.

BHAFCONTOUR#1

Jan 17, 2011
victim blatently got paid from him lol! its madness though if that was me or any other person with a gun it would be jail sentances being handed out here and there obviously depending on the circumstances

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here