Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2011

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
With a New Year comes a new thread to keep our food reviews together.

So, what can we look forward to over the coming year?

Brighton, Hove, Sussex, London Village or wherever you maybe

Marks out of 10

greg-wallace-masterchef.gif

My first two (seemed to have eaten out a lot in the last few weeks)

Casa Don Carlos, Lanes Brighton
Staff very friendly, atmosphere great, but the food a bit of a let down. Everything was perfectly overcooked. Paella especially. 6.5

Foxy's, Hove Station
Although a bit smoky inside, the food was brilliant. Best steak I have had in ages. Roast dinners are pretty decent too (7 days a week). Staff were great too, revelling in the glory of the night before where a bloke ate a 1640gram steak. 8.0

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good stuff. A place I really like at the moment is The Chimney House up near Stamford Ave. I've been there three times and had a nice and relaxing evening everytime. Not been for a while though...I think an imminent return is due. I'd give it 4/5 for food, ambience and service.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've heard good things about Raymond Le Blanc's new restaurant/brasserie in Chichester

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My dream meal for 2011 has to be Heston's new place in Knightsbridge.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Went to the Elizabethan Tandoori in Patcham Village on Saturday night - Great service, nice bottle of Cobra, ambience not bad, but really sugary food. You didn't need dessert, the starters and main were dessert enough. 3/10. Worst Indian I have ever had.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fishy Fishy in East Street is great ( obviously assuming you like fish !).

They don't cram in too many people, the service is spot on and the food fantastic. Best of all, it isn't very expensive. Three courses, plus oysters, plus a bottle of wine for less than 80 quid for two people.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Caprichos in Meeting House Lane.. plenty of food on the tapas, and plenty spicy too. Very friendly staff and would go again..
9/10

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Caprichos in Meeting House Lane.. plenty of food on the tapas, and plenty spicy too. Very friendly staff and would go again..
9/10

I was there the second day it was open, it was like falty towers. The waiters were stressed. They kept bringing the wrong food and drinks to the wrong tables, and ended up going around the restaurant asking people what they ordered. Food waiting time was over an hour

They then got everyones bills mixed up, then their card machine broke down. They were asking people to write down their card details and they would process them all the next day/when machine was fixed (which I refused and walked down North Street to cash machine)

The food however was really good, better than Casa Don Carlos which has the reputation

Going to Hotel Seattle on Friday, gawd bless the Argus Dine For £10 vouchers

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
gawd bless the Argus Dine For £10 vouchers

Due South – normally excellent but was bit ropey when I went last week on this deal. 6.0

Cracking pork starter, but my main of seaweed wrapped dab was slimy and tasteless, and the cheesecake was just ok. And I don’t like eating off SLATES. And if you can’t do brilliant petits fours then don’t bother, frankly. Have to say though, every other time I’ve been (and paid full whack) has been pretty splendiferous.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Due South – normally excellent but was bit ropey when I went last week on this deal. 6.0

Cracking pork starter, but my main of seaweed wrapped dab was slimy and tasteless, and the cheesecake was just ok. And I don’t like eating off SLATES. And if you can’t do brilliant petits fours then don’t bother, frankly. Have to say though, every other time I’ve been (and paid full whack) has been pretty splendiferous.

I've been three times but the last was well over a year ago now. The food was always very good but I have started to hear a lot of stories of its demise.

Also, I met the manager last year about the possibility of hiring the place for my wedding. Arrogant and dismissive are understatements.

All tihngs considered I will not be going back unless things change but I have a feeling the place has now run it's course.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was there the second day it was open, it was like falty towers. The waiters were stressed. They kept bringing the wrong food and drinks to the wrong tables, and ended up going around the restaurant asking people what they ordered. Food waiting time was over an hour

They then got everyones bills mixed up, then their card machine broke down. They were asking people to write down their card details and they would process them all the next day/when machine was fixed (which I refused and walked down North Street to cash machine)

The food however was really good, better than Casa Don Carlos which has the reputation

Going to Hotel Seattle on Friday, gawd bless the Argus Dine For £10 vouchers

The cocktail bar at Seattle is really nice. Not eaten there though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fishy Fishy in East Street is great ( obviously assuming you like fish !).

They don't cram in too many people, the service is spot on and the food fantastic. Best of all, it isn't very expensive. Three courses, plus oysters, plus a bottle of wine for less than 80 quid for two people.

I'll second this. I really like the place. It lacks the precision of Riddle and Finns but then it's not really aiming for the same market.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone been to The Chili Pickle since its move?

How is it fairing? The Myhotel restaurant space is cursed. I hope they make a success of it.

The cocktail bar is pretty crap though. Nice bar but awful crowd of wannabee coked up Londoners charing around the place.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'll second this. I really like the place. It lacks the precision of Riddle and Finns but then it's not really aiming for the same market.

I will offer more love for Fishy Fishy. Went there on Wednesday and it was top notch - 9/10.

If you're in west London of an early evening, I recommend Charlotte's Place in Ealing and Charlotte's Bistro in Chiswick. Both offer really good if slightly pretentious food, and if you come between 6pm and 7pm you get three courses and a drink for £25. For the quality of food you get, that is a terrific bargain. 8/10.

Eateries visited so far this year:

Red Lion, Hove Place, Hove - £9 for Sunday roast. Tons of meat (I had pork), crackling and veg. 8/10

Planet Hollywood, Haymarket, London - Went as part of a theatre ticket deal. A meal of two halves. The starters, paid for, spot on. The mains, included in the deal, shithouse. 6/10

Ask, Meeting House Lane, Brighton - Decent food and service, though we did have a bit of a barney with the waiter over our printed vouchers because we didn't produce them until the end of the meal and the 'half price on all mains' deal only knocked £40 off a £160 bill. 6.5/10

Wetherspoons, Brighton Marina - For value for money you can't go wrong. Under twenty quid for starters, mains and drinks. Decent quality food (I had Moroccan meatballs and cous cous). Service was good. 8/10

Terre a Terre, East Street, Brighton - Beautifully presented food, and pleny of it (never thought I would be stuffed in a veggy place). Excellent service as well. You pay for it though, came to over £45 each. Glad work was paying. 7.5/10

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Fishy Fishy - ate there early this year. Reasonable food but very predictable. Thought the prices had pretentions above the delivery. Certainly not as good as the hype. Sorry, but forgetable, well meaning tourist trap - 7/10.

Pomegranate - some mixed reviews so not sure what to expect. Loved it. Great value for money, large portions. Bold spicing. Lovely atmos and really attentive service. We were all planning when to come back before main course was finished. Not fine dining but very agreeable greek/turkish/Middle East fusion. 8.5/10

The Compasses (Tunbridge Wells) - good boozer now taken over by new people. Classic pub grub (nothing adventurous) but served hot, well cooked and in big portions and all mains more or less under a tenner. Highly recommended if you want big, well cooked food and decent beer. 8/10

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I've been three times but the last was well over a year ago now. The food was always very good but I have started to hear a lot of stories of its demise.

Also, I met the manager last year about the possibility of hiring the place for my wedding. Arrogant and dismissive are understatements.

All tihngs considered I will not be going back unless things change but I have a feeling the place has now run it's course.

NOW will people believe me..... the manager and chef of Due South are personally resposnsible for the premature birth of our first child! I have never met such boundless arrogance and disdain for customers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here