Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Worthing ok to live in?

Thought I'd tap up the vast knowledge base that is NSC. Myself & the Mrs want to move to somewhere bigger than the 1 bedroom flat in Hove taht we currently reside in. Prices in Brighton & Hove are going crazy in rental terms so looks as though we may have to exit the great city.

We'd still like to be within beer drinking distance of Brighton (& Flamer) and have noticed Worthing seems to be reasonably priced in rental terms. Friends have written it off as 'a bit rough' and 'boring', but I'd prefer a balanced view. The other reasonably placed price seems to be Burgess Hill.

Opinions?

Thanks

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
East Worthing is a scuzz hole, I used to live there, the nicer parts of the Worthing are to the west and north

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I guess it depends on what you're looking for but boring is fair comment, there's not a lot going on especially if you're used to Brighton.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
dont go out at the weekend unless you like fighting.....or rough birds from Durrington.

Burgess Hill or Hassocks is where you want be, or even east of Brighton.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
dont go out at the weekend unless you like fighting.....or rough birds from Durrington.

Burgess Hill or Hassocks is where you want be, or even east of Brighton.

Really? I though Bugger's hole was a bland commuter town.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's ok...certainly no more, and no less. It's ok.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Worthing is nice... it has some nice pubs (not in the volume Brighton has) some nice restaurants and a theatre and 2 cinemas. It's not got the same 'buzz' that Brighton has, but it's generally cleaner, I'd say safer, and is close enough to Brighton is you fancy paying that little bit extra for your drinks / food.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lived here all my life, bar 6 months in London. I enjoy it and like it. Currently live in Goring, no trouble, easy to get to supermarkets, into town etc.

Night life in town is 'OK', very high street, few decent restaurants, but I can't see a reason for me to move away from here in the forseeable

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing has a lovely seafront if you go West and a great little pier. As previously mentioned it also has cinemas and a theatre - The Dome and The Connaught are architecturally interesting and quaint. Only one big problem, the people who descend on Worthing in the evening, certain parts are virtual no-go areas. I know Brighton bouncers that simply refuse to work in Worthing.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Try Shoreham instead, it is where all the "happening" people live...........................

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Worthing has a lovely seafront if you go West and a great little pier. As previously mentioned it also has cinemas and a theatre - The Dome and The Connaught are architecturally interesting and quaint. Only one big problem, the people who descend on Worthing in the evening, certain parts are virtual no-go areas. I know Brighton bouncers that simply refuse to work in Worthing.

Really? I'm middle aged I've lived in Worthing all my life and frequent the town Saturday evenings and I can count on the fingers of one hand (only 5 fingers I'm not from Norwich) the times I've seen any kind of violence. Worthing is a great place to live, not the same buzz as Brighton but has some great pubs, nice seafront and the downs 5 minutes to the north. It's only 15 - 20 minutes on the train to Brighton if you want some more lively action

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Really? I'm middle aged I've lived in Worthing all my life and frequent the town Saturday evenings and I can count on the fingers of one hand (only 5 fingers I'm not from Norwich) the times I've seen any kind of violence. Worthing is a great place to live, not the same buzz as Brighton but has some great pubs, nice seafront and the downs 5 minutes to the north. It's only 15 - 20 minutes on the train to Brighton if you want some more lively action

I don't live in Worthing so you are far more qualified than me to comment. I am only passing on what my sister and neice tell me who live there and what I have seen for myself when I have visited them. I love the town by day but not by night.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Broaden your mind/life a bit more,move to Littlehampton/Wick,bit more upper class.

It's hard to sense sarcasm / irony without the smileys... I suggest you use them, or people might think you're being serious and potential make a massive mistake. :)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't live in Worthing so you are far more qualified than me to comment. I am only passing on what my sister and neice tell me who live there and what I have seen for myself when I have visited them. I love the town by day but not by night.

Worked in the bars and clubs between 2004-2009 and I've seen much more violence on West Street than Worthing....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Try Shoreham instead, it is where all the "happening" people live...........................

Sssshhh - we can't let any old riff-raff in you know. The interview tends to weed out most of the "undesirables" though.

For Worthing, clearly it depends on what you're looking for. It is certainly not Brighton (and nor would you expect it to be). It is smaller, quieter. It has nice areas, but it has some rougher parts too. It does have most things people need and obviously Brighton is only 15 mins away by car. Never lived there, but I did school there, and know it far better than Brighton, myself.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I grew up in Burgess Hill and after moving around a fair bit ended up in Worthing. I didn't mind Worthing itself although there's plenty of places I would prefer to live, frankly thanks to the sea it's more interesting than Burgess Hill but neither are places I would want to live in again. As far as Sussex goes if I didn't live in Brighton I'd prefer Lewes although I quite like Eastbourne. If I was working in London I would prefer Horsham or the outskirts of Crawley merely for the convenience.

westsussexseagulls

Sep 22, 2008
You can get to Worthing to Hove in 15 mins on train so its not like you are moving miles away. I reguarly go into Brighton at the weekends but still live in Worthing. Bought a place here a few years ago as much better value for money than Brighton and Hove. Obviously it is not as vibrant as Brighton but you can still find some decent pubs and I wouldnt say it was rough like some people have suggested. When you weigh up the difference between price and as a palce to live I would definitely say it is better value

In my opinion much nicer than Burgess Hill and Haywards Heat etc as its still on the seafront and is actually quite a nice place in the summer

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here