Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke City FC v Brighton and Hove Albion ****Official Match Thread****

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
I have put a lot of effort in to this being my 1k post + my last match thread reaching 45k views when we beat Exeter away from home in the last minute so enjoy! :)

With Brighton top of league 1 and Stoke positioned 10th in the BPL this leaves the clubs 35 places between each other, which makes it Albions biggest test of the season

3 Albion Performers to watch out for

Adam El Abd
15f1ydg.jpg

Elliott Bennett
vymr0p.jpg

Glenn Murray
10ws54w.jpg

3 Stoke Performers to watch out for

Robert Huth
nmz52w.jpg

Rory Delap
51cakw.jpg

Kenwyne Jones
3448byb.jpg

STOKE CITY
Current form

• Won two of four in league and cup; lost and failed to score in three of five.
• Unbeaten at home in 2011 (W3, D1).

Stoke's Thomas Sorensen takes over in goal from Asmir Begovic after playing in the club's three previous FA Cup ties this season.
Manager Tony Pulis's only doubt is midfielder Matthew Etherington, who has a hamstring problem.

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION
Current form

• Won four and drawn one of an unbeaten last five in all competitions.
• Lost one of the last 11 since Christmas.

Head to Head

These clubs are meeting for the first time in five seasons.

Stoke won their most recent clash 5-1 away from home in the Championship in April 2006.

Brighton Team (according to seagulls website):

Brezovan; Calderon, Tommy Elphick, El-Abd, Painter; Bennett, Dicker, Bridcutt; Wood, Murray, Barnes.

Manager Quotes

Tony Pulis

"The chance of getting through to the quarter-finals means you're getting closer to that dream.
"Brighton are full of confidence, they're playing really well and will have no pressure on them.
"The opportunity of getting through to the quarter-finals is enormous so we need as much help as we possibly can from our supporters."

Gus Poyet

"I'm expecting them to put us under pressure and try and use their strength. They are very powerful, quick and good technically. We need to deal with that it will be difficult because there is a big difference between the two teams.
"We will not change our game at all and see if it is possible. It's difficult to press us for a long time. Premier League players are stronger so maybe they can cope.
"As a manager, it's the kind of game you want to be involved in. I hope plenty of supporters watch this special Cup game and enjoy it."

Referee: Howard Webb (South Yorkshire)
Assistant referees: Glenn Turner and Trevor Massey
Fourth official: Michael Oliver

Following a draw replay due to be played on:
Tuesday, 1 March 2011 (Kick off: 1945 GMT)

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Phew! Looking forward to the second half now. Keep playing like that and we might just nick it.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Pennant will be a real threat. People can say what we they like about Stoke's style of play but in Pennant and Etherington they have two quality old fashioned wingers who'll really test us.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Pennant will be a real threat. People can say what we they like about Stoke's style of play but in Pennant and Etherington they have two quality old fashioned wingers who'll really test us.

i doubt Etherington will start due to injury so fingers crossed xD

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Lawro's Prediction:-
Stoke City v Brighton (FA Cup fifth round)
In League One, Brighton are probably used to having the ball pumped into their penalty area and dealing with big opposition centre-halves getting forward. That is Stoke's approach too, but I still think the Potters will cause them all sorts of problems here.
Brighton have a completely different style - they play a lot of football and get the ball down well - but I just don't think Stoke will allow them to do that in this tie.
Prediction: 2-0

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Looking at this post I can only ask, what the f*** his mate is on....

Re: Stoke City V Brighton and Hove Albion
« Reply #24 on Feb 14, 2011, 2:07pm »
I think we'll win because we're at home. If we were away then we'd probably lose.

Having said that, a friend of mine who supports Southampton and watches a lot more L1 football than me described B&HA as a well drilled, good at set peices, physical hoof the ball type team with little technical ability who just outmuscle the opposition - so we could turn out to be the same as you, just a little stronger physically.

Read more: Oatcake Fanzine - Stoke City V Brighton and Hove Albion

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Looking at this post I can only ask, what the f*** his mate is on....

Re: Stoke City V Brighton and Hove Albion
« Reply #24 on Feb 14, 2011, 2:07pm »
I think we'll win because we're at home. If we were away then we'd probably lose.

Having said that, a friend of mine who supports Southampton and watches a lot more L1 football than me described B&HA as a well drilled, good at set peices, physical hoof the ball type team with little technical ability who just outmuscle the opposition - so we could turn out to be the same as you, just a little stronger physically.

Read more: Oatcake Fanzine - Stoke City V Brighton and Hove Albion

LOL!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Awful thread title, we've been cursed!
Why isn't player on yet?
Any team news?
Anywhere I can stream this game on the net for free?

Yoda

English & European
Lawro's Prediction:-
In League One, Brighton are probably used to having the ball pumped into their penalty area and dealing with big opposition centre-halves getting forward. That is Stoke's approach too, but I still think the Potters will cause them all sorts of problems here.
Brighton have a completely different style - they play a lot of football and get the ball down well - but I just don't think Stoke will allow them to do that in this tie.

That's not the full version

Mark Lawrenson said:

Stoke are in the same situation as Birmingham in that if they beat a lower division side they will be in the quarter-finals, and they need to revive their league form a little bit too because they have been too inconsistent recently.

A defeat wouldn't be the end of the world for Brighton because this is still a massive year for them - if they win promotion, they will start next season in a new stadium in the Championship. That means a lot to them and, as a former Seagulls player, it would be fantastic if they do go up and the timing would be perfect.

They can go out and enjoy themselves a the Britannia Stadium because nobody is expecting them to win and, whatever happens, they have had a decent run to get this far and earned a few quid too which is also important.

:eek: He's FINALLY admitted it!!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here