seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Mid-week local derby as well :laugh:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
....only 5,578 for Scunny v Nottingham Forest. Expect that Forest had a majority of the crowd.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I think it says more about Wigan's poor support than the modern attitude towards the Fa Cup. I think it was last season 14,000 people attended their match against Chelsea.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Attendances fall when unemployment rises? Times are tough, aren't they? Cup games are an extra expense. Wigan is not really a football town.

Scunthorpe do not have big crowds, anyway.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You'd have thought this would send out a clear message to the FA regarding their idea of switching FA Cup ties to midweek!

Play on Saturday at 3pm and you don't EVER clash with a live game on telly, but last night this game was competing with the option of staying at home, or going to teh pub, to watch Barca away to Barca lite.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It'a probably another £30, in tough economic times, odd on top of their season ticket prices, to watch opponents they play twice in the league anyway, who aren't renowned for attractive football, with the reward being an away game against another mediocre team.

Why the surprise?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
It'a probably another £30, in tough economic times, odd on top of their season ticket prices, to watch opponents they play twice in the league anyway, who aren't renowned for attractive football, with the reward being an away game against another mediocre team.

Why the surprise?

That's not rally true though is it Edna? Both Bolton and Wigan are renowned for playing passing, if ineffectual, tippy tappy under Coyle and Martinez. Bolton in particular have played some fantastic stuff this season.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Wigan don't historically have massive support. It's worth bearing in mind that 15 years ago they were a 4th tier side averaging less than 2,000 in the league.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;3971273 said:
That's not rally true though is it Edna? Both Bolton and Wigan are renowned for playing passing, if ineffectual, tippy tappy under Coyle and Martinez. Bolton in particular have played some fantastic stuff this season.

Doesn't mean you'd pay extra to go and watch them though!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As I said last night on another thread, spreading the Champions League last 16 matches over 4 nights rather than 2 will adversely affect domestic midweek attendances.

Had Arsenal vs Barcelona not been on the box I daresay Wigan would have had at least 50% more fans and another £50K in total receipts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It'a probably another £30, in tough economic times, odd on top of their season ticket prices ...

This surely. It seems that every time I speak to a friend of mine, either he/she is being laid off (or knows someone being laid off) or has suffered a cut in working hours. On top of that, the rate of inflation is going up again. Football in this country is very expensive as it is, in times of economic hardship, it's not going to be a high priority for people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here