Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just for the record, he was at least a yard offside. I was seemingly the only person in the stand that wasn't celebrating, as I was in line and watching Murray as the ball was delivered and saw the flag go up immediately. The annoying thing was there was no need to be offside, he would have scored anyway. It was a massive shame because his performance deserved a goal and a point would have been massive given the other results.

Your not the only who was in line with Murray. I was too and I agree he was offside. I pointed to the linesman when people around me started celebrating as I knew his flag had gone up straightaway.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Murray is always offside.

Show me a player in this current Albion side with Murrays ability, but keeps onside, and I'll show you a player who could threaten Peter Wards status at the club and score more than 36 goals a season. Show me a player of Murrays ability and who is always offside when he shouldn't be, and I'll show someone who is offside more than he should be.

Is that how the arguement goes?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
joking yer? so fans need to get a grip, we are on corse to have 2 srikers hitting 20 goals this year. what do you know anyway you nob

Ignore Hustpierpoint, he posted THIS after the Tranmere game

Barnes: Couldnt score in a Brothel?

2 clear cut open goals from 6 yards, the sort of thing your 10 year old son would put away with ease and both have gone sailing over the bar? Anything the lickers would like to say? If we lose from here questions have to be asked.

He then later admitted that his expert opinion came not from attending the game, but from the RADIO.

He followed this up with

Ashley Barnes - Was it a dive?

I watched the whole incident and in looked to me as though he dived, I saw no contact made with his face and then shortly after he went down clutching it, now I was in H Block so obviously was a fair way away, what did some of you sitting a bit nearer think? If it was a dive then I think it's disgusting and hope he gets at the very least a telling off from Gus about it, thats not what I want to see our players doing.

He seems obsessed with finding fault with Barnes for some unfathomable reason.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
By the way, this is an incredible statement:

I think his only hope to go and do a bit of UFC training and learn to overcome his weakness and tartness, and learn how to take a whack.

Perhaps you should suggest that to Gus, as a way to turn Ashley into Peter Ward?

One Legged Striker

Nov 29, 2009
Look at the stats. Look at the GAME. Then go and sit in the corner and think about what you've posted.

:dunce:
Thats what i pollitely asked you to do, I'm not a fool, going on what i say, just take a little look at he's all round game, that is my arguement. Please do not start getting wise telling me to sit in a corner, which is very easy to do hiding behind a pc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pathetic, isn't it?

Yup.
Can't even be arsed with this argument now tbh, the thread title is a fishing trip and the statements to back it up are getting more and more ridiculous the further we go.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Murray is always offside.

Show me a player in this current Albion side with Murrays ability, but keeps onside, and I'll show you a player who could threaten Peter Wards status at the club and score more than 36 goals a season. Show me a player of Murrays ability and who is always offside when he shouldn't be, and I'll show someone who is offside more than he should be.

Is that how the arguement goes?
Nice you see you finaling write more than a sentenace and not just try and be witty... whichn your not.

But no thats not how the argumnet goes at all. Murray wouldn't score 36 goals a season without playing with his clone. Murray will also create a lot more chances for other players, then chances that comes his way. If Barners wasn't such a lightweight, and didn't bottle every nearly every challagne when a defender breaths on him, then he'd probably be close to 30 already this season. And thats the point.

With the right training and coaching, you should be able too stop Murray being offside. It's very rare to turn a "lightweight scared of being tackled" player like Barnes into someone opposite.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
How blinkered!! He socred and set one up. WOW! Sign him up for 10 years

No one is saying we should sign him up for 10 years...?

Barnes is clearly good enough and I hope when he proves it beyond doubt these stupid little threads (That thankfully only pop up after a defeat) will f*** off.

I know it's a game of opinions but some of the shit spouted on here beggers belief!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But if you allowed for the fact another striker who wasn't scared of his own shadow

Whilst I don't think Barnes leads the line very well, I think you are well out of order with snide comments such as the above.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Murray is clearly our best striker as he has a physical presence, brings others into the game and possesses an excellent first touch.

Barnes and Wood are two very different types of player to accompany Murray one being more technical with Woods being a more physical presence. Each of these can partner Murray based on the type of defense we come up against and if we need a more physical approach then wood gets the nod with Barnes an option for the slicker passing moves.

BOTH are important to our side and whilst stats do not tell the whole story there is no doubt Barnes goals are a key factor in our current position. Whether he turns out to be a championship striker or not is another matter and he is too young to fully judge, but simply do not understand why he seems to attract the criticism he does.

We are top of the league and he is scoring goals why pick on individuals who are part of this success?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Please do not start getting wise telling me to sit in a corner, which is very easy to do hiding behind a pc.

Please don't start that 'hiding behind a pc' shit. It's the last resort of twats.

Don't overly care about Ashley Barnes all round game. Anymore than I care about the all round game of Banco Santander. Long as his his only decent touch all game is to bang it in the net without even thinking then that fine by me :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
By the way, this is an incredible statement:

Perhaps you should suggest that to Gus, as a way to turn Ashley into Peter Ward?
And that proves you me you are completely clueless. A lot of professional sides use boxing and similar sports in teh summer. It can be a bit of fun, good for team bonding, but it can also give players of Barnes make up a hell of a lot of confidence when it comes to making contact. Not saying you teach him to punch and kick people, although I'm sure you already knew that, but it certainly toughen you up a bit, and not be scared of getting hurt every time someone breaths on you, and give you the confidence not to jump 10 foot into the air everytime screaming for a foul everytime someone comes in your "personal space"

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well has you normally do you completely missed the point.

I'm not putting a lump ahead of techinal skill. Murray doesn't LUMP people, but he seems to have the defenders worried about him. But he isn't a coward either. The fact remains if you're not willing to take a lump, not dish it out, you are never going to be a striker in pro football. El Abd isn't in the side becuase of his techinal skill. Most defenders are not techicnally great, hence why they are defenders. But El Abd will win his personal battle with strikers in teh first 10 minutes, and go on to play well. If Barnes comes up against an El Abd style defender, he's out of the game in teh first 10 minutes, like he was yesterday.

I dont give a shit if Barnes is 19 or 29. He's too lightweight and not good enough. Show me a player in this current Albion side with Barnes techincal ability and a pair of bollocks, and I'll show you a player who could threaten Peter Wards status at the club and score more than 36 goals a season. Show me a player of BArnes ability and who a complete lightweight tart, and I'll show you a picture of 15 goal a season scorer Ashley Barnes.

No, you're point is that our second top goalscorer isn't good enough. Which is what a fuckwit who knew nothing of football would say. He has got balls, he's got skill. He scores. What more do you want from a 19 year old kiddie?! He scores! Like it or not, you're point about him being shit is not a fair assessment. Murray is better, and is stronger. BUT Barnes possesses a lot of natural ability and a dynamic movement that other defenders cannot cope thus his 10 goals this season. Furthermore Murray (who yes, is better because he is stronger) will need a light weight but blistering paced player to knock the ball down to.

You are putting strength above skill. That's what this boils down to. Take away the fancy shit, you're saying that Barnes isn't strong enough and therefore is shit despite 10 goals and at least 3 points won entirely down to him (Exeter). For a kid, having that natural pace (like Holroyd) a nose for the goal (like Sandaza) and intelligence in his play (like wood or maybe Dicker/Bridcutt) is a valuable asset to the squad. But he doesn't put in a lot of strong tackles and is not strong. So those 10 goals and at least 3 points mean nothing. He's wank.

Mmmm logic.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The abuse of Barnes is pathetic. You know there are, actually, different types of striker. The Davies/Drogba/Berbatov type player who hold it up, wins it in the air and is strong, putting himself about. Then there are more lightweight players, who rely on electric pace, fantastic technique or good positional play combined with anticipation. Michael Owen for example. Or even dare I say it, Leon Knight? Leon wasn't going to shoulder a centre half off the ball but he got in the right places and he scored the goals to take us up. Barnes is this player. He's not as physical as Murray, but he gets into fantastic positions and he reads the game well. Technically, he is decent without being brilliant - but the clinical finishing comes with experience, which right now he doesn't have that much of. The important thing is he's young, he has plenty of time to improve that. But the instinct of a striker is something that can't be taught. You can do weights in the gym to toughen up, or practice shooting to get the technique perfect. But Barnes has instinct, and I'd take a 21y/o with instinct and 10 goals at the half way stage of the season any day.

Ignore the stats? No, because they tell the whole story, in black and white, beyond prejudice against a certain player because you don't rate him. 10 goals, at the half way stage. On for 20 goals on current form. In the same way we're top of the league, at the half way stage. Barnes can bitch and moan, roll about, get bundled off the ball and duck out of tackles as much as he wants, if he continues to make contributions in terms of goals. People say strikers are judged on goals. He is scoring them. So shut up.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Murray is clearly our best striker as he has a physical presence, brings others into the game and possesses an excellent first touch.

Barnes and Wood are two very different types of player to accompany Murray one being more technical with Woods being a more physical presence. Each of these can partner Murray based on the type of defense we come up against and if we need a more physical approach then wood gets the nod with Barnes an option for the slicker passing moves.

BOTH are important to our side and whilst stats do not tell the whole story there is no doubt Barnes goals are a key factor in our current position. Whether he turns out to be a championship striker or not is another matter and he is too young to fully judge, but simply do not understand why he seems to attract the criticism he does.

We are top of the league and he is scoring goals why pick on individuals who are part of this success?

well said sir . there are sensible people on here

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Are we so arrogant that a player who is listed in the top scorers for this league 'isn't good enough for us'

BBC SPORT | Football | League One | Top Scorers
Not all of us, no. However it does seem that one of the league's top scorers (who has also spent a fair few games on the bench since Wood arrived) just isn't GOOD enough for some. Surely it would be far better just to get a few big lumps up top and GET IT FORWARD, eh? If you're a real footballer you're just a nancy boy.:jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here