Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So as far as I'm concerned, Barnes can just keep doing what he's doing because without his contribution this season, we probably wouldn't be top.
I'm sure we'd easily be top. Providing of course you would play someone else in place of Barnes, and not just take away the goals he has scored.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Exeter City 1 - Brighton & Hove Albion 2
- 63' Brighton make a sub: Ashley Barnes enters for Craig Noone. Reason: Tactical
- 64' Brighton GOAL (Exeter City 1 - Brighton & Hove Albion 1)
- 64' That last goal was assisted by Ashley Barnes (Cross from Left Wing)
- 90' Brighton GOAL (Exeter City 1 - Brighton & Hove Albion 2)
- 90' Ashley Barnes hits a very good right footed shot to the lower right corner from the left channel (aprox. 18 yards) and scores!

But then again, he isn't going to cause any defence problems...
How blinkered!! He socred and set one up. WOW! Sign him up for 10 years

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Explain what they prove? There are so many stats our there, you could prove anything with stats. As I said in teh post, I think given the game time and chances Barnes as had this season, any another striker at the club playing off Glen Murray could have matched those stats at a canter, when you consider the chances the team have created this season.

so how much shit are you going to talk today? name me one good point of a post like this??? hes a good young striker that would be better of if "fans" like you get off his back.
football manager is calling.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Having played and managed a bit, please do not tell me he has instinct, and sharpness, when next observing he's all round play, look out for he's instinctive link up play with Murray/wood, also he's sharpness to always be first or in front of the opposing defence.

I've read this twice now and am none the wiser.
Are the words in the right order ?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Wise words. Ash came off the bench at Exeter and turned the game, Muzza did the same yesterday at B'Muff (I still don't think it was offside).

We should be thankful that we have some strength in depth so that the bench looks decent, remember a couple of seasons ago, the cupboard looked very bare!
And I think that does say at lot about him. He can come of the bench and turn a game, I'll give him that. But maybe because he hasn't been frighten out of it in the first 10 minutes. (and I was in line I dont think he was. He was level at worst, but there was certainly not daylight between him and ther defender)

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So being on course for 20 goals this season is "not up to this standard of football" then.

I suppose he'd have to have got at least 15 before Christmas before you'd start cutting him some slack then ?
I'll say it again. Show me a player in this current Albion side with Barnes techincal ability and a pair of bollocks, and I'll show you a player who could threaten Peter Wards status at the club and score more than 36 goals a season. Show me a player of BArnes ability and who a complete lightweight tart, and I'll show you a picture of 15 goal a season scorer Ashley Barnes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No doubt there will be some stats floating about, but he does not look the part when he is the main man up the top. He does seem to struggle when he is not paired with Murray. As with all 21 year old strikers, he is going to be a bit hit and miss at times. He has done a very good job so far.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm sure we'd easily be top. Providing of course you would play someone else in place of Barnes, and not just take away the goals he has scored.

So essentially, you're saying take away all the goals Barnes has scored this season and he'd be shit ?

Good argument.

:facepalm:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the issue is it has to be Murray plus either Wood / Barnes or Sandaza.

If Murray goes we are doomed, I tell you we are doomed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having played and managed a bit, please do not tell me he has instinct, and sharpness, when next observing he's all round play, look out for he's instinctive link up play with Murray/wood, also he's sharpness to always be first or in front of the opposing defence.

Look at the stats. Look at the GAME. Then go and sit in the corner and think about what you've posted.

:dunce:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Explain what they prove? There are so many stats our there, you could prove anything with stats. As I said in teh post, I think given the game time and chances Barnes as had this season, any another striker at the club playing off Glen Murray could have matched those stats at a canter, when you consider the chances the team have created this season.

While I agree that Barnes was poor yesterday, and is nowhere near as complete a striker as Murray, your argument has some serious flaws. You say that any striker would have scored a shed-load given Barnes' chances, but you fail to acknowledge that half the battle for a striker is getting into those positions.

Until recently I didn't think Wood had the ability to get into goalscoring positions like Barnes has done this season, but a run of games has shown he can. Barnes has been out of the team of late and this could have affected his form. Wood and Murray should be our first-choice pairing, but to write Barnes off is wrong. Saying that, I still think we need another good striker.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll say it again. Show me a player in this current Albion side with Barnes techincal ability and a pair of bollocks, and I'll show you a player who could threaten Peter Wards status at the club and score more than 36 goals a season. Show me a player of BArnes ability and who a complete lightweight tart, and I'll show you a picture of 15 goal a season scorer Ashley Barnes.

This is his first proper full season as a regular striker in this division. Given that fact, 15 goals would be a VERY decent return, and he's already on course to EXCEED that.

But of course you expect us to have the finished article up front with Murray already.

Nothings ever f***ing GOOD enough at this club for some people, is it.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So essentially, you're saying take away all the goals Barnes has scored this season and he'd be shit ?

Good argument.

:facepalm:
Eerrr. Nooo. I'm saying if you just take away Barnes goals as you suggested, we wouldn't be top. But if you allowed for the fact another striker who wasn't scared of his own shadow played the same games and same minutes as Barnes had, we'd probably be clearer at the top.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Wise words. Ash came off the bench at Exeter and turned the game, Muzza did the same yesterday at B'Muff (I still don't think it was offside).

Just for the record, he was at least a yard offside. I was seemingly the only person in the stand that wasn't celebrating, as I was in line and watching Murray as the ball was delivered and saw the flag go up immediately. The annoying thing was there was no need to be offside, he would have scored anyway. It was a massive shame because his performance deserved a goal and a point would have been massive given the other results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here