Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes isn't nearly good enough for us.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nah. It’s simple funny winding up the haters who made a glaring blunder in assessing an Albion player.

Indeed. And I'd leave them be if it weren't for the fact that they continue to write off our players, despite their obvious lack of knowledge when it comes to football.

Yep. And those same folks, week in, week out substitute Barnes for Stephens or xxxxxx player and give out the same abuse, even though the silent majority are fully aware that they are putting in a shift and the score would otherwise be 5 nil rather than 2 (last season obviously! :)). This thread is like a tribute to those unsung heroes who receive all the bile and abuse, but just get on with it and excel.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. And those same folks, week in, week out substitute Barnes for Stephens or xxxxxx player and give out the same abuse, even though the silent majority are fully aware that they are putting in a shift and the score would otherwise be 5 nil rather than 2 (last season obviously! :)). This thread is like a tribute to those unsung heroes who receive all the bile and abuse, but just get on with it and excel.

The type who repeatedly disparaged, variously; Hemed, Muzza, Baldock, March, Stephens and David Lopez.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In a sense though, reading it back, he had a point. Barnes is now known for being a tough, niggly, in your face kind of player. He wasn't when he was with us. Sean Dyche got hold of him and added this side of his game, and in so doing unlocked a premier league star.

Really? I thought tough niggly and all those things with us? He’s actually stopped pushing referees over these days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're right, it was just a push rather than a push 'over'...:lolol:

It was supposedly a trip, or so the ref alleged. In fact, Ash caught his heel as he turned to collect a ball from Bridge, but because Barnes had been in his ear following all in wrestling in the penalty area, the referee took advantage and issued a red card. I was there.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It was supposedly a trip, or so the ref alleged. In fact, Ash caught his heel as he turned to collect a ball from Bridge, but because Barnes had been in his ear following all in wrestling in the penalty area, the referee took advantage and issued a red card. I was there.

Too late to edit, but I'll settle for accidental trip then. :thumbsup:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
mejonaNO12 aka riskit said:
I think it's more reminding ourselves that some fans are rather stupid.

Or is it an insecurity of needing reminding of an occasion where getting it right.

Nope.

Definitely the laughing at stupidity bit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In a sense though, reading it back, he had a point. Barnes is now known for being a tough, niggly, in your face kind of player. He wasn't when he was with us. Sean Dyche got hold of him and added this side of his game, and in so doing unlocked a premier league star.

I'm not having that, at all.

Barnes always had 'a bit of dog in him', as the Aussies would say.

Always. I've no doubt Dyche saw it, welcomed it, and has subsequently encouraged it, but it was totally evident right through his Albion career (and lamentably lacking from our side, ever since he left).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Always. I've no doubt Dyche saw it, welcomed it, and has subsequently encouraged it, but it was totally evident right through his Albion career (and lamentably lacking from our side, ever since he left).

OK, I'll take your word for it, maybe I was taking old Mr Burns at face value when he said Barnes was lightweight in that Bournemough game, my memory is too shot to recall :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Would be great replacement for Glenn

When he hangs up his boots

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

I believe he still has his house in Burgess Hill, renting it out to the club. He has confirmed his eldest son is a Brighton fan.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Always the width of the post for me, if all those headers and shots that hit the woodwork had gone in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I think he was. Even as a 20 year old at Withdean, always tenacious, involved in battles against large and experienced CB’s, he never took a backwards step. He carried this on at the Amex when asked to play in CM, to make way for CMS.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey

He also had it in him when he was on loan at Eastbourne Boro before signing for Seagulls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here