Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

latest on bennett

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
we have now turned down 3 bids,the last one being just short of the million mark,how long can we hold them off:angry:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
levi_roots_reggae_reggae_sauce.jpg

?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
dare one say....................source?

it's not the amount of any offer which is irrelevant if Bloom/Poyet are adamant about not selling. It's whether Bennett's head is turned and he decides he wants to go.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It'll take a lot more than a million to even consider letting him move.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
we have now turned down 3 bids,the last one being just short of the million mark,how long can we hold them off:angry:

Hey Sean, where you hear this from or who?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£1m is a lot of money for a league one player. Its not great business if it costs us a lucrative promotion though.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It would have to be £2m+ for Bloom and Poyet to part with him I feel. Considering we paid £200,000 or so for him, £1m after sell on clause would be pants for a player of his quality.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
£1m is a lot of money for a league one player. Its not great business if it costs us a lucrative promotion though.

A good point of course but I am sure the club would not regard any sale of EB as just a bit of business. They have made it clear that they don't want to sell him, that he is part of the club's future and that they want him playing at the Amex. If they come under such pressure that they have to let him go then of course they will - but any money received would be seen as compensation for a loss rather than income from a transaction.

Having said all that, this team is built round more than one man and Gus knows enough to make sure that EB's unfortunate departure wouldn't be the end of our promotion bid.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is this 25% sell on clause another one of NSC's myths? Where has it been confirmed that this is indeed the case?

From the local rag up here:

Wolves sell Bennett to Brighton

Wolves have sold young right-winger Elliott Bennett to League One club Brighton for an undisclosed sum with a sell-on.

The Telford-born wide man has signed a three-year contract with the Seagulls.

Bennett only ever played two first-team games for Wolves, but the 20-year-old was an ever-present on loan at League Two outfit Bury last season.

Chief executive Jez Moxey said: “Elliott is at the stage where he needs regular first-team football.

“Having reached the Premier League, we felt he wasn’t going to be getting that here at this stage.”

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Playing in the Championship is the priority. Short term cash is not essential. At £2m we'd have to take it seriously but £1m to weaken our starting XI and make promotion harder to achieve ... what's the point?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
A good point of course but I am sure the club would not regard any sale of EB as just a bit of business. They have made it clear that they don't want to sell him, that he is part of the club's future and that they want him playing at the Amex. If they come under such pressure that they have to let him go then of course they will - but any money received would be seen as compensation for a loss rather than income from a transaction.

Having said all that, this team is built round more than one man and Gus knows enough to make sure that EB's unfortunate departure wouldn't be the end of our promotion bid.

I can't disagree with the above - there are a whole host of things at play here, not just the money. On the face of it, what's the problem? We can trust in Gus to reinvest the profit in 4 or 5 more Bennetts and surely losing one player won't derail the season?
I don't think he'll go, but if he really wanted to go and made it clear (whether in the open, or just to other players, staff etc), it can have a negative effect on attracting other players. As much as I'd like to think BHA would be the pinnacle of a player's career, it clearly isn't. Players (and their agents!) are wary of joining clubs that don't let them move when a bigger club comes in for them, so any stand-off might make the difference in us signing the next hot prospect or not.

The long & short is, I'd be gutted if he went, but I trust in the club to do the right thing with the bigger picture in mind. My money's on him staying anyway as I don't think there are enough reasons for him to want to move to Norwich & therefore push it through.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here