Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NMH View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't quite get the need for 'group' meditation, as you can do it at home just as well and at any time basically.
    It's about centering yourself, finding the inner light of being, balancing the soul with the universe. A great and worthwhile exercise.

Yoga is supposed to be brill - rather like to hear from people who do that.
    I started a yoga class at work last week and really enjoyed it. As a 52 year-old beginner I was well behind the rest of the group but was still able to have a go at most things they did and felt really chilled and de-stressed afterwards. Early days of course but I booked up for 6 lessons and bought a mat from Argos, so I'll be giving it a proper go. Anything which makes me feel good and doesn't have a health warning on the packaging has to be worth a try.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Having lived in Brighton for years I have a distinct aversion to meditation, yoga, pilates and bongo playing.
      "I will design a town in the image of your face. Round the wrinkles of your eyes my footsteps you can trace. We could promenade down infra-nasel depression. The streets of your hands will never feel a recession."

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by NMH View Post
      I don't quite get the need for 'group' meditation, as you can do it at home just as well and at any time basically.
      It's about centering yourself, finding the inner light of being, balancing the soul with the universe. A great and worthwhile exercise.

Yoga is supposed to be brill - rather like to hear from people who do that.
      certainly agree with your point. i think group is a good place to get a footing with the practise, and perhaps also it is a little eerie, which i like. perhaps this is my own desire imprinting itself on the experience however. group has its value though.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      i think that for someone who is dabbling on their own, learning from a group may be beneficial, then you can work out what suitd you best and decide to maintain it independently. a bit like a diet..works better if more of you are egging (yum) each other to stick with it.. i have used cds ( recorded variety, not crossdressing) and found they work well..but there are so many to choose from, another good reason to use a group... i got to listen to lots of musical and spiritual backgrounds and worked out what appealed. also learning to guide others on a meditation can be very rewarding. but..each to their own. back to brentford v exeter methinks..
      The best is yet to come The Sock of Poskett's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Given that your signature is from Psalm 1 - have you tried a prayer group? Or are you not wanting anything within Christian spirituality?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by byf View Post
      Thanks for all the refreshing answers, much appreciated.

Ive flirted with it for the past few months with a 10 min morning meditation and sometimes evening, but definately feel like i need to know more and a group sounds good.

I looked at Bodhisattva Kadampa Meditation Centre

Anyone seen or heard of them?
      They are part of the New Kadampa Tradition of buddhism, they have a very specific approach to meditation based on tibetan buddhism which is quite controversial in buddhist circles. I went to an introductory course when I first started meditating and their approach didn't really sit well with me but you might find it works for you.

Some other types you might want to try:
      Friends of the western buddhist order @ Brighton Buddhist Centre Homepage
      They have a very formulaic approach which was developed specifically for westerners based around counting the breath and metta 'loving kindness meditation'

Theravadan Forest Sangha tradition: http://www.buddhacommunity.org/bbc.htm
      Probably the tradition that has remained the closest to the original teachings of the buddha. I have found a less formulaic approach. There are some monasteries around the UK, (one near midhurst in west sussex) where you can stay as a guest or go on a structured retreat.

I also tried Zen buddhism for a while and although it was too disciplined for me I can see how some people might benefit from that type of approach.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Go for it. Try various ways until you find what's right for you.
      There's a CD called 'Ancient Echoes' by Steve Halpern, which is unbelieveably
      hypnotic.
      Clouds, like thoughts, come and go. The sky remains. The past is memories, the future - hopes. Neither are useful to 'now' and now only exists long enough to become the past. The only thing that is real to us is the mind.
      I've got my doubts about that too.
      I reckon Woody will sign for us at the end of the season, Bennet will stay. We'll clean most of the Championship teams from what I've seen of them.
      At least, that's the message I'm getting from my crystals and spirit guides.
      Pactum serva The Merry Prankster's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I have been doing yoga for a year now (I am fifty), two or three times a week. I cannot imagine life without it now. Highly recommend it.
      Half measures availed us nothing.

0 Not allowed!
      This guys does it, have a look at his website or give him a call. Trevor Harrison
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by adasmki83 View Post
      This guys does it, have a look at his website or give him a call. Trevor Harrison
      I think your mixing up Meditation with Mediation.