Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meditation - Does anybody?

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Hi,

Ive started getting into meditation and am liking what its all about.

Just wondered if anyone currently does it or go to classes.

Any expiereinces or advice would be appreciated.

Chaaars.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Um

Sitting around doing nothing.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I'm sorry, I have got so large sitting around contemplating my navel, that I can't see it any more. :facepalm:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I have had had a daily meditation practice for the last 7 years.

There are many different approaches to meditation and my advice would be to try out various methods until you find something that works for you and then try to stick with it.

There will be times when the mind just wont seem to settle but these can be some of the most insightful periods. Seeing how the mind creates frustration, boredom, expectation, deals with the concept of time and how this is reflected in the body.

My advice would be to join a local group then you can bounce your thoughts and experiences off other people.

If you have any specific questions or want some advice let me know and I will try and point you in the right direction?

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
agree with half time pies... find a local group. its soo much better learning via group meditation and then you can choose what suits you. mine is done via my local spiritual shop...wacky shop..most places run courses etc.. good luck

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
just another voice recommending you do it
i have flirted with meditation but not stuck sincerely to it yet admittedly.

but go to a group meditation evening. when you open your eyes the sensation will be palpable... whatever sensation that is will probably be up to you!

I don't quite get the need for 'group' meditation, as you can do it at home just as well and at any time basically.
It's about centering yourself, finding the inner light of being, balancing the soul with the universe. A great and worthwhile exercise.

Yoga is supposed to be brill - rather like to hear from people who do that.

life on mars 73

Oct 19, 2010
Yes, I have used several meditation/self-hypnosis CDs by a guy called Glenn Harrold....has really helped me a lot, and given me a sense of inner peace that was lacking for many years.

Interesting bloke, Glenn Harrold....a real South London geezer, very colourful life, but he has a great gift. Check him out and let me know what you think.

Good luck.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Thanks for all the refreshing answers, much appreciated.

Ive flirted with it for the past few months with a 10 min morning meditation and sometimes evening, but definately feel like i need to know more and a group sounds good.

I looked at Bodhisattva Kadampa Meditation Centre

Anyone seen or heard of them?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't quite get the need for 'group' meditation, as you can do it at home just as well and at any time basically.
It's about centering yourself, finding the inner light of being, balancing the soul with the universe. A great and worthwhile exercise.

I started a yoga class at work last week and really enjoyed it. As a 52 year-old beginner I was well behind the rest of the group but was still able to have a go at most things they did and felt really chilled and de-stressed afterwards. Early days of course but I booked up for 6 lessons and bought a mat from Argos, so I'll be giving it a proper go. Anything which makes me feel good and doesn't have a health warning on the packaging has to be worth a try.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having lived in Brighton for years I have a distinct aversion to meditation, yoga, pilates and bongo playing.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton

certainly agree with your point. i think group is a good place to get a footing with the practise, and perhaps also it is a little eerie, which i like. perhaps this is my own desire imprinting itself on the experience however. group has its value though.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
i think that for someone who is dabbling on their own, learning from a group may be beneficial, then you can work out what suitd you best and decide to maintain it independently. a bit like a diet..works better if more of you are egging (yum) each other to stick with it.. i have used cds ( recorded variety, not crossdressing) and found they work well..but there are so many to choose from, another good reason to use a group... i got to listen to lots of musical and spiritual backgrounds and worked out what appealed. also learning to guide others on a meditation can be very rewarding. but..each to their own. back to brentford v exeter methinks..

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Given that your signature is from Psalm 1 - have you tried a prayer group? Or are you not wanting anything within Christian spirituality?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for all the refreshing answers, much appreciated.

Ive flirted with it for the past few months with a 10 min morning meditation and sometimes evening, but definately feel like i need to know more and a group sounds good.

I looked at Bodhisattva Kadampa Meditation Centre

Anyone seen or heard of them?

They are part of the New Kadampa Tradition of buddhism, they have a very specific approach to meditation based on tibetan buddhism which is quite controversial in buddhist circles. I went to an introductory course when I first started meditating and their approach didn't really sit well with me but you might find it works for you.

Some other types you might want to try:
Friends of the western buddhist order @ Brighton Buddhist Centre Homepage
They have a very formulaic approach which was developed specifically for westerners based around counting the breath and metta 'loving kindness meditation'

Theravadan Forest Sangha tradition: http://www.buddhacommunity.org/bbc.htm
Probably the tradition that has remained the closest to the original teachings of the buddha. I have found a less formulaic approach. There are some monasteries around the UK, (one near midhurst in west sussex) where you can stay as a guest or go on a structured retreat.

I also tried Zen buddhism for a while and although it was too disciplined for me I can see how some people might benefit from that type of approach.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
Go for it. Try various ways until you find what's right for you.
There's a CD called 'Ancient Echoes' by Steve Halpern, which is unbelieveably
hypnotic.
Clouds, like thoughts, come and go. The sky remains. The past is memories, the future - hopes. Neither are useful to 'now' and now only exists long enough to become the past. The only thing that is real to us is the mind.
I've got my doubts about that too.
I reckon Woody will sign for us at the end of the season, Bennet will stay. We'll clean most of the Championship teams from what I've seen of them.
At least, that's the message I'm getting from my crystals and spirit guides.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here