Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stopover at Doha airport - is it awful?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I've got a stopover for 4 or 5 hours at Doha airport next week and I've been told that it's awful there with very little to do (shops, restaurants etc.) I'd thought it might be a bit like Dubai airport, albeit on a smaller scale.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Cheers!

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
I've got a stopover for 4 or 5 hours at Doha airport next week and I've been told that it's awful there with very little to do (shops, restaurants etc.) I'd thought it might be a bit like Dubai airport, albeit on a smaller scale.

Cheers!

Its awful.....just like the country ! Very expensive duty free...(no alcohol )..and whatever you do dont try and take any in (even transit..it will be confiscated!). There is one cafe and a couple of coffee bars. Believe me..its NOTHING like Dubai !!!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Cheers!

It's not awful, I've been in allot worse airports. One big-ish duty free shop and a fast food place. NOTHING like Dubai airport though, you can't drink for a start!!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
the gold lounge is ok but generally bland and dull dull dull while their attitude to hygiene in toilet areas can be well dodgy. New terminal has improved things and it is bright and new. Overall better than the likes of Fankfurt or Heathrow but with less to do shopping-wise and less catering choices

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
the gold lounge is ok but generally bland and dull dull dull while their attitude to hygiene in toilet areas can be well dodgy. New terminal has improved things and it is bright and new. Overall better than the likes of Fankfurt or Heathrow but with less to do shopping-wise and less catering choices

Better than Frankfurt or Heathrow ???? What are you talking about . If you can get into the gold lounge ok.. The new terminal might be 'bright and new'... doesnt make it a good terminal. There is nothing to do if your are there for 5 hours !!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
All airports are boring. But airports like Heathrow (T5 aside) and Frankfurt are so tired and so DIRTY and the staff seem to match the surroundings. Doha is at least crisp and (generally) clean even if they do have some distinctly dodgy sanitary habits :)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
If it's on the way back, get the shits like I did. Certainly killed a lot of the 5 and a half hours we were there...

Sort out your Duty Free in the originating airport as Doha D/F was more expensive than the UK high street.

If you can position yourself right, you can get free Wi-Fi. Near the Duty Free on the level above was a good spot.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
If it's on the way back, get the shits like I did. Certainly killed a lot of the 5 and a half hours we were there...

Sort out your Duty Free in the originating airport as Doha D/F was more expensive than the UK high street.

If you can position yourself right, you can get free Wi-Fi. Near the Duty Free on the level above was a good spot.

Someone above said there wasn't any alcohol on sale in the Duty Free, now maybe my memory is playing tricks, or I was too busy laughing at your many trips to the toilet, but I swear they were selling alcohol in there?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Someone above said there wasn't any alcohol on sale in the Duty Free, now maybe my memory is playing tricks, or I was too busy laughing at your many trips to the toilet, but I swear they were selling alcohol in there?

There may have been alcohol in the DF, but as I was too busy focussing on not being sick out of my arse, I really don't remember. :blush:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
There may have been alcohol in the DF, but as I was too busy focussing on not being sick out of my arse, I really don't remember. :blush:

Good times, good times :lolol:

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull

Plenty of alcohol in DF you can even get a beer at the airport, or you could all the times I have flagged through there.

I bought a bottle of Bombay Sapphire once and then we were delayed by a tech snag by 24 hours (RAF Engineer) I thought no prob and tried to take the bottle to drink in the hotel between a few of us as booze is very very expensive in Doha.. any way the rag heads confiscated my bottle and said I could have it back when we crewed in......Never saw it again!!!!! I wonder which one stole it?

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Thanks all for your replies, I'll be able to cope without the booze I think for a few hours.
Can you get any hookers and class-A drugs?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Crap airport. Only 1 shop and nothing else to do, but the worst thing for me was the really uncomfortable seats that mean you can't even lay down and go to sleep. It's bloody freezing cold as well.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
There is no alcohol available at the airport.....its taken off you if you have any when you arrive. There is no alcohol in DF... In Dubai ,yes..Doha NO

Definitely IS available in Duty Free at Doha. Not that cheap but massive choice. Situated right next to the cigar room!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here