Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best treatment for a BROKEN TOE ??

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
I broke my (little) toe at the start of the footie season in September....absolute agony for such a small bone!!

Anyway i managed, somehow, today to smash the same toe against the fott of the sofa and its ballooned up and gone red/black and is sooo painful (definitely broken again)

will prob go to A&E tomorow but is there anyway to heal a broekn toe any quicker? took 7 wks til i could play football last time :(

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I managed to "kick" the bedpost a couple of years ago, as I walked past it, and caught my little toe - it had a black line down the middle of it within minutes. Pretty sure it was broken, but I didn't go to the hosp because I don't think there's much they can do really, unless it's dislocated. It was very painful, but I was able to get shoes on very carefully, but I wouldn't let anything near it for weeks - was very paranoid about that. I must have looked quite funnny on the train every day, when anyone came within a few feet of it, I would move it away quickly. I would suggest football is not the ideal thing to help healing.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Done same with little toe on left foot about 4 months ago. seems that its pretty much ok now, did strap it up a bit but the bandage never really stayed on long! then two weeks back did identical on the other bloody foot, glad i dont play football as am 57 lol, but hoping this new injury clears for cricket nets end of January. like others i never bothered with A& E

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
About the best you can do is keep icing it up until the swelling goes away and take some anti-inflans to help reduce the swelling quicker.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Consequences of Improper Treatment

Some people say that “the doctor can’t do anything for a broken bone in the foot.” This is usually not true. In fact, if a fractured toe or metatarsal bone is not treated correctly, serious complications may develop. For example:
•A deformity in the bony architecture which may limit the ability to move the foot or cause difficulty in fitting shoes
•Arthritis, which may be caused by a fracture in a joint, or may be a result of angular deformities that develop when a displaced fracture is severe or hasn’t been properly corrected
•Chronic pain and deformity
•Non-union, or failure to heal, can lead to subsequent surgery or chronic pain.

Treatment of Toe Fractures

Fractures of the toe bones are almost always traumatic fractures. Treatment for traumatic fractures depends on the break itself and may include these options:
•Rest. Sometimes rest is all that is needed to treat a traumatic fracture of the toe.
•Splinting. The toe may be fitted with a splint to keep it in a fixed position.
•Rigid or stiff-soled shoe. Wearing a stiff-soled shoe protects the toe and helps keep it properly positioned.
•“Buddy taping” the fractured toe to another toe is sometimes appropriate, but in other cases it may be harmful.
•Surgery. If the break is badly displaced or if the joint is affected, surgery may be necessary. Surgery often involves the use of fixation devices, such as pins.
•Amputation (I added that one)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
About the best you can do is keep icing it up until the swelling goes away and take some anti-inflans to help reduce the swelling quicker.

Yep,... 30+ years of playing rugby with more than a few of my toes getting the treatment,.. all you can do is as per the above, but once the initial swelling goes down, tape the broken one up against a good one next to it for a bit of stability, like a splint, thats what I used to do,......

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
I managed to "kick" the bedpost a couple of years ago, as I walked past it, and caught my little toe - it had a black line down the middle of it within minutes. Pretty sure it was broken, but I didn't go to the hosp because I don't think there's much they can do really, unless it's dislocated. It was very painful, but I was able to get shoes on very carefully, but I wouldn't let anything near it for weeks - was very paranoid about that. I must have looked quite funnny on the train every day, when anyone came within a few feet of it, I would move it away quickly. I would suggest football is not the ideal thing to help healing.

thats what i did but on the foot of the sofa - big black line and very swollen - not sure if the bone is smashed or just broken...cant get shoes on :(

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Consequences of Improper Treatment

Some people say that “the doctor can’t do anything for a broken bone in the foot.” This is usually not true. In fact, if a fractured toe or metatarsal bone is not treated correctly, serious complications may develop. For example:
•A deformity in the bony architecture which may limit the ability to move the foot or cause difficulty in fitting shoes
•Arthritis, which may be caused by a fracture in a joint, or may be a result of angular deformities that develop when a displaced fracture is severe or hasn’t been properly corrected
•Chronic pain and deformity
•Non-union, or failure to heal, can lead to subsequent surgery or chronic pain.

Treatment of Toe Fractures

Fractures of the toe bones are almost always traumatic fractures. Treatment for traumatic fractures depends on the break itself and may include these options:
•Rest. Sometimes rest is all that is needed to treat a traumatic fracture of the toe.
•Splinting. The toe may be fitted with a splint to keep it in a fixed position.
•Rigid or stiff-soled shoe. Wearing a stiff-soled shoe protects the toe and helps keep it properly positioned.
•“Buddy taping” the fractured toe to another toe is sometimes appropriate, but in other cases it may be harmful.
•Surgery. If the break is badly displaced or if the joint is affected, surgery may be necessary. Surgery often involves the use of fixation devices, such as pins.•Amputation (I added that one)

Thats the one i worried about.....

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Yep,... 30+ years of playing rugby with more than a few of my toes getting the treatment,.. all you can do is as per the above, but once the initial swelling goes down, tape the broken one up against a good one next to it for a bit of stability, like a splint, thats what I used to do,......

thanx mate - i was just concerned its not a clean break as looks pretty nasty - i was told if its not clean it might not actually heal at all as both bits of bone arent near each other....

Alfie22

Mar 12, 2008
I hurt my big toe, however the two hospitals I visited in the immediate aftermath said it was fine, just a knock. Last week (9 years after I had gone to the hospital) I had a cheilectomy to flush out the cartilage and remove the bone spurs that had developed, resulting in a severely arthritic toe with minimal flexibility. If this op works I may have 20 degrees more motion, otherwise I will have to have it pinned, permanently.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I hurt my big toe, however the two hospitals I visited in the immediate aftermath said it was fine, just a knock. Last week (9 years after I had gone to the hospital) I had a cheilectomy to flush out the cartilage and remove the bone spurs that had developed, resulting in a severely arthritic toe with minimal flexibility. If this op works I may have 20 degrees more motion, otherwise I will have to have it pinned, permanently.

I feel for you, but I would say the big toe is rather more important - it takes a lot of the weight when you're walking, whereas the little toes barely touch the ground. It would be important to get that one fixed, it would cause many more problems I think.

Even the thought of it, or a near miss, sends a shiver up my legs.,

You wait til you kick the bed, the shiver gets a lot higher than that.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
The pain level really is very very high. Bit embarassing really considering the size of it but fcuk me its killing!!!

Went to docs she said def broken (no shit) and to see how it heals over next 2-3wks before thinking about x-raying

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I kicked a rather solid chair a couple of years ago and damaged my big toe rather severely. Don't know if it was broken, but I couldn't get a shoe anywhere near it for a couple of weeks.

I treated it by constant icing (or just a cold flannel when at work) and wore sandals to work. Gradually, the swelling and bruising dissipated and I got movement back again.

The first day I managed to get a shoe on again was my wedding day! I'd taken my son to the hospital in the morning to have a plaster cast removed from a broken ankle!

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I dislocated and broke my little toe in Turkey, while on Holiday. what they did after they put it back in place was strap it to the toe next to it using strips of plaster with a piece of cotton wool between the toes. This kept it nice and straight and heeled in six weeks.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The pain level really is very very high. Bit embarassing really considering the size of it but fcuk me its killing!!!

Went to docs she said def broken (no shit) and to see how it heals over next 2-3wks before thinking about x-raying

Glad to se you sent to the quack B-TiD, sorry it's broken, but then I think we knew that. Hopefully it won't be too long. I think mine started to be fine after about 6 weeks - not had a peep out of it since (although I have nearly done the same thing again, you might have thought I would have learnt, wouldn't you)

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
thanx mate

just more gutted that its only just healed from breaking it 2 months ago - only just got back into the footie!!
luckily our sat games wont be going ahead for a while while the snows here!! :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Think I've just broken the little toe on my left foot.

Completely self-inflicted, jogging around the house at 11pm at night to do the last 2,000 steps of my intended 20,000 steps for the day. I probably would have been fine if I wasn't giving most of my attention to the YouTube video playing on the TV in the lounge when I passed through. As a result I smashed my toe against some furniture.

I had 1,500 steps to do to get to my target, so I hobbled around to complete those, by which time my toe was at quite a strange angle. It seems to be a bit more normal angle now, but is rapidly swelling up and it's painful to put any weight on the foot at all.

What a ****ing idiot I am.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Think I've just broken the little toe on my left foot.

Completely self-inflicted, jogging around the house at 11pm at night to do the last 2,000 steps of my intended 20,000 steps for the day. I probably would have been fine if I wasn't giving most of my attention to the YouTube video playing on the TV in the lounge when I passed through. As a result I smashed my toe against some furniture.

I had 1,500 steps to do to get to my target, so I hobbled around to complete those, by which time my toe was at quite a strange angle. It seems to be a bit more normal angle now, but is rapidly swelling up and it's painful to put any weight on the foot at all.

What a ****ing idiot I am.

Hope it/you get better soon. Painful as ****

I’m curious - did you remember that there was a thread about broken little toes from 8.5 years ago and thought “I’ll search for it”, or did you think “there must be a thread about broken little toes, I’ll do a search with the relevant words in the string”?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here