Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dry Lunch

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So I watched the remake of The Firm last night. It was fairly appalling and not a patch on the original Gary Oldman one, but aside from the ridiculous tracksuits there was something else that kept me amused - the whole film, everyone ran around calling each other a "dry lunch". As in -

"Oi Yeti, come over ere and say that, ya fackin' dry LUNCH"

I have NEVER heard this turn of phrase. Is this common vernacular amongst those who are a 'bit naughty' ? Often preceded with a "jog on, you dry LUNCH" and suchforth ?

I quite like it, and resolve to call someone a dry lunch before the end of the week. Its not quite up there with cackbadger obviously, but I think it has its own slightly odd, curious charm. Try it on for size.

"Oh do piss off <insert posters name> you ****ing dry LUNCH.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Myself, Jonny Danger and the gang have been using the term ever since we saw that film.

:cool:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
my understanding is that its meant to mean youre a bit tight . ie wont buy a round in the pub at lunch , thus a dry lunch. could be wrong though

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
my understanding is that its meant to mean youre a bit tight . ie wont buy a round in the pub at lunch , thus a dry lunch. could be wrong though

Urban Dictionary says:

An incredibly irritating person, who has a face that just winds you up for no reason. You feel the need to slap them upside the head but your not quite sure why.
"see you mate, you're a f***ing dry lunch"

"God that bloke really winds me up! He's nothing more than a big fat Dry lunch!"

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i believe it is a cocker-ney saying:
DRY LUNCH:
A person known for their reluctance to buy a round or part with their cash.

and i thoroughly enjoyed The Firm as i took it as a piss-taking comedy. why else cast a complete skinny weed as the central hard man? and the young lads parents were hilarious.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I've used Dry Lunch as an insult a couple of times.

Same with the word melt.

Oi ref, you're a MELT.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I'd never heard it before the film came out, maybe the scriptwriter has misheard a phrase and decided to incorporate it in the script, in the same way one did years ago on the sweeney and since on eastenders when a character referred to a pound as a ' sov ' as in short for sovereign, which is completely wrong, as the correct usage is ' sob ' as in you sob everytime one leaves your hand.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Occasionally use the term Dry Lunch. Some cockernee I knocked about with at uni always used it.

Either for tightness or just being a generally annoyed MUG.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'd forgotten all about that 'Dry Lunch' thang tbh. Hardly surprising though quite honestly - bearing in mind how memorable the rest of that PONY re-hash was.

Ditchboy

Apr 4, 2008
I must admit these are all new to me. One that I seem to hear all the time lately is " Oi wanker, I told you never to come in here again" Does anyone else get this one?

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
I tend to use the term dry lunch to describe someone who is being a bit boring. e.g. having a 'dry lunch' can be bland/boring/no life.

pretty sure i just made that up though!

i do enjoy using such words as 'melt' and 'mug' when having banter with my brother or friends

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Mike Reid/Frank Butcher in Eastenders Golden Period used to say "what do you think I am? Some sort of dry lunch?" or "some sort of ice cream?".

Also threatening to give a dry slap sometimes.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Mike Reid/Frank Butcher in Eastenders Golden Period used to say "what do you think I am? Some sort of dry lunch?" or "some sort of ice cream?".

Also threatening to give a dry slap sometimes.

what are you boy some sort of pilchard, was his best ever insult to ricky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here