Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scousers, probably the country's most annoying regional people?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thank god Matt won the x-factor to piss on Coleen's fireworks. Scousers, we know you're proud to come from Merseyside. But hey, here's some news. EVERYBODY else loves their roots too - we just don't bang on about it all the blicking time!!

Well played Matt :lolol:

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
Instead you bang on about other places/people all the 'blicking' time

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
That Rebecca was so boring she did nothing but stand their like a totum pole while people danced around her.
And Colleen was so high pitched only dogs & dolphins could understand what she was saying.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
are you telling me to calm down?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Scousers ? No Cockney's not only sound worse they have an arrogance that defies all logic.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are certain places where the occupants do like to go on about their background a lot more than others do, as if it somehow makes them special.

I would put Liverpool in that category, along with perhaps Yorkshire, and Scotland. Or Newcastle?

You don't get people from Hampshire getting all insular about their roots, do you, or the population of Hull taking mass offence everytime their city gets called a toilet (which, let's be honest, happens a lot). It is curious how this mentality has developed around Liverpool more than most other cities.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There are certain places where the occupants do like to go on about their background a lot more than others do, as if it somehow makes them special.

I would put Liverpool in that category, along with perhaps Yorkshire, and Scotland. Or Newcastle?

You don't get people from Hampshire getting all insular about their roots, do you, or the population of Hull taking mass offence everytime their city gets called a toilet (which, let's be honest, happens a lot). It is curious how this mentality has developed around Liverpool more than most other cities.

Scousers have a tendency to feel that the world is against them. Having worked there I found that far too many of them are workshy and expect somebody else to take care of them. They make a big deal of their heritage as they feel (quite rightly) that most people look down on them.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
I guess it's hard for all us lot from Sussex or Brighton to get all insular about the place when we hardly even have a recognisable accent to distinguish ourselves. I know there are some pecularities to our speech but I don't think I've ever recognised another Sussex or Brighton person purely from their accent. Which ain't the case with those self-righteous, hub-cap-stealing lot up north and many other groups of course.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I reckon people from Yorkshire are the most annoying when it comes to banging on about their home county and being 'down to earth' and implicitly a better person than you. It's also a whole northern thing to believe that they are so much more friendly than southerners. I've lived in Cheshire, Lancs, Manchester and Sussex, and can say for definite that this is bollocks.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I guess it's hard for all us lot from Sussex or Brighton to get all insular about the place when we hardly even have a recognisable accent to distinguish ourselves. I know there are some pecularities to our speech but I don't think I've ever recognised another Sussex or Brighton person purely from their accent. Which ain't the case with those self-righteous, hub-cap-stealing lot up north and many other groups of course.

Because of the way the brain works, nobody thinks THEY themselves have an accent, it's just everyone else who does. The way your brain hears you speak become the norm and it distinguishes any accent that's not the same.

To someone from Sunderland on the other hand, someone from Sussex has a very noticeable accent. The only difference is, I suppose it's not as specific to a small area as some- most of us would fancy we could spot a Scouser or a Geordie from some distance away. But then again ask me to differentiate someone from Manchester to someone from (say) Blackburn or Accrington, and I'd find it harder, even though they have genuine differences.

GYM

Jan 4, 2010
Leeds
I reckon people from Yorkshire are the most annoying when it comes to banging on about their home county and being 'down to earth' and implicitly a better person than you. It's also a whole northern thing to believe that they are so much more friendly than southerners. I've lived in Cheshire, Lancs, Manchester and Sussex, and can say for definite that this is bollocks.

Hey. Yorkshire is Gods country. Leave us alone.

Why else would he/she have made Bradford, Barnsley and doncaster:lolol::lolol:

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Yes, you're right, but my point is that that person from Sunderland is very unlikely to recognise it as a Sussex or Brighton accent, but rather just some accent from down south somewhere, whereas it's much easier to pinpoint the accents from the large northern cities such as L'pool, Newcastle etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
THIS is how to speak proper, apparently.

The dorg was lorst in the forg :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, you're right, but my point is that that person from Sunderland is very unlikely to recognise it as a Sussex or Brighton accent, but rather just some accent from down south somewhere, whereas it's much easier to pinpoint the accents from the large northern cities such as L'pool, Newcastle etc.

Hmmm, I think many people could point roughly to the right area, if not the city. I've got a couple of mates from Sunderland, and one from Middlesbrough, and they get called Geordies all the time by southerners, yet their accents are, once you get used to it, quite different.

People from the Wirral tend to object to being labelled Scousers by their accent too, because many of them consider themselves to have a posher, Cheshire tone.

I agree that most people wouldn't know a Sussex accent (including us), but then again I'd fancy my chances of identifying someone from this county as opposed to Hampshoire. But no, there doesn't appear to be a specific Brighton one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here