Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If a football club's fans behave like these RUDDY students (Merged)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They would be thrown out of the league. Or at least heavily fined.

I am all for protests - in fact I think we, as a country, should do it more - but keep it peaceful and don't just use it as an excuse to play freedom fighter for an afternoon.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think you'll find the vast majority of the troublemakers aren't students

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Absolute scum, throwing stuff at the police horses.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I imagine a few rabble-rousers are non students. No doubt a few unionists and the odd anarchist.

That said, I doubt it takes much to get a few teenagers over excited and joining in.

They'll all vote Tory in five years...

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also couldn't help but chuckle at the irony of students glueing themselves to the wall of Topshop - where students spend SHED LOADS of wonga - in digust at the firm's tax evasion techniques...

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Bang another grand on the fees to pay for the mess they're making!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I covered one of the previous demos. As I said, I very much support their plight, but they don't help themselves.

A Lib Dem fella asked them what their alternative was while they canted "No ifs, no buts, no education cuts". They shouted: "Make the rich pay".

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
When I was a uni student this sort of protest used to really piss me off. OK, so they want to get further education but who the hell is going to pay for it if they don't? A significant number of students think that the world owes them sufficient living such that they can go on the lash every night, stuff themselves with takeaways, attend 16 hours of lectures a week and still the government (ie society's taxpayers) should pick up the tab. Well I didn't think it right when I was a scruffy, longhaired pisshead and I certainly don't think it right now. OK, my tuition fees were paid for in my day, but if the system had been such that I had to pay back the cost of teaching I would not have had a problem with that. And no, I don't come from a rich (or even well-off) family, just one with the attitude that most things in life are not free, they have to be earnt and paid for, usually by yourself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
turn the water cannons on them...it would kill two birds with one stone....it would WASH them and would also calm them down, especially as its cold.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
I think you'll find the vast majority of the troublemakers aren't students

This line's been trotted out like a mantra by students, and those sympathetic to them, throughout these demonstrations without any evidence whatsoever to back it up.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
When I was a uni student this sort of protest used to really piss me off. OK, so they want to get further education but who the hell is going to pay for it if they don't? A significant number of students think that the world owes them sufficient living such that they can go on the lash every night, stuff themselves with takeaways, attend 16 hours of lectures a week and still the government (ie society's taxpayers) should pick up the tab. Well I didn't think it right when I was a scruffy, longhaired pisshead and I certainly don't think it right now. OK, my tuition fees were paid for in my day, but if the system had been such that I had to pay back the cost of teaching I would not have had a problem with that. And no, I don't come from a rich (or even well-off) family, just one with the attitude that most things in life are not free, they have to be earnt and paid for, usually by yourself.

Very easy to say when, as you point out, you did get it for free. I would point out that:

1. You've hit the nail on the head with what a lot of the younger generations feel - that basically the previous generation had the welfare state and the chance for social mobility, and now they've got it they don't really give a toss about the next one - quite happy to see massive student debts, impossibly high property ladders etc.

2. The assumption here is that university students will go on to earn massive bucks - whereas in reality there are a lot of massively important vocations that require a degree yet pay less than 20k.

3. Its fair enough to say you have to pay for things but, when things are paid for, there are ultimately always going to be those who are unable to afford them (or are put off by the price). Do you really want future generations of doctors, teachers, nurses, military leaders, politicians to be those who can afford it, rather than those who would be the most talented?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
1617: A police officer has sustained a serious neck injury after being knocked unconscious, the BBC's Andy Tighe reports. He has been taken to hospital.

He's just trying to do his job, and earn a living :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here