Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Somali Pirates

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Don't know if I am classed a do gooder but I think putting the SBS on a couple of oil tankers might make them think twice.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
To term that story 'thin' would be doing it an almighty favour.

Opening para '...are believed...

Later, ...is suspected... it is unclear whether he has claimed asylum... or families receiving benefit...
Immigration investigators... seeking to discover whether individuals have visited the UK or have families here
It is possible... that some of those involved in piracy
In satellite calls, the pirates have alluded to links with Britain...
'A key figure... is likely to be...'

Where are the facts? Somewhere in there, there might be a hard news story. From that report, all I read is innuendo and supposition, not unusually for the Daily Mail.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
To term that story 'thin' would be doing it an almighty favour.

Opening para '...are believed...

Later, ...is suspected... it is unclear whether he has claimed asylum... or families receiving benefit...
Immigration investigators... seeking to discover whether individuals have visited the UK or have families here
It is possible... that some of those involved in piracy
In satellite calls, the pirates have alluded to links with Britain...
'A key figure... is likely to be...'

Where are the facts? Somewhere in there, there might be a hard news story. From that report, all I read is innuendo and supposition, not unusually for the Daily Mail.
'Kadiye describes himself as a businessman and told Channel 4 that he had arrived in Britain as a refugee in 1997 and had run a taxi firm near Marble Arch but sold it two years ago. Someone with the same name living in nearby Walthamstow, east London, was registered as a director of a company called Access For Somalis for nine months in 1996, according to Companies House records. '

Thats from the guardian , i can give you the link to the piece if you like, i dont know whether your naivete is false or not, if it's not then i hope you never get any emails from nigerian government officials withn funds they want to deposit in your bank account.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Kadiye describes himself as a businessman and told Channel 4 that he had arrived in Britain as a refugee in 1997 and had run a taxi firm near Marble Arch but sold it two years ago. Someone with the same name living in nearby Walthamstow, east London, was registered as a director of a company called Access For Somalis for nine months in 1996, according to Companies House records. '

Thats from the guardian , i can give you the link to the piece if you like, i dont know whether your naivete is false or not, if it's not then i hope you never get any emails from nigerian government officials withn funds they want to deposit in your bank account.

Very droll.

The only hard fact of the aftermath of the kidnapping is of that named bloke. If you're going to write a news story, you put the central character right up at the front. He is only mentioned right at the end, which implies one of two things - one, he is peripheral to the whole episode or two, if he is central to the whole story, it's a very sloppily written piece.

Aside from that, there is little substance to that story. You talk about naivety, yet you see the Daily Mail is using its tried and trusted copy-and-paste method of 'asylum seeking' stories to think it is running a big news item, and you've gleefully put it on here for debate. WHEN there is some substance to this story, a worthwhile debate can be had - until then...

Aside from this bloke - and it's not clear what his role is (though it appears to you it is) - where's the story?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Very droll.

The only hard fact of the aftermath of the kidnapping is of that named bloke. If you're going to write a news story, you put the central character right up at the front. He is only mentioned right at the end, which implies one of two things - one, he is peripheral to the whole episode or two, if he is central to the whole story, it's a very sloppily written piece.

Aside from that, there is little substance to that story. You talk about naivety, yet you see the Daily Mail is using its tried and trusted copy-and-paste method of 'asylum seeking' stories to think it is running a big news item, and you've gleefully put it on here for debate. WHEN there is some substance to this story, a worthwhile debate can be had - until then...

Aside from this bloke - and it's not clear what his role is (though it appears to you it is) - where's the story?
Taken from the notoriously right wing channel 4 news, home of well known reactionary , jon snow.

Somali Briton masterminds Chandlers' release: inside story - Channel4 News

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Have to say as much as I disagree with your politics Bushy normally you've raised an interesting point here. Presumably he was a refugee when his life was in danger and it no longer is. But as he has British citizenship he can stay in Britain. I guess the real question is whether people think refugees should returmn regardless of citizenship once it is safe to do so.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Right, I've watched it. And...?

A bloke who was a successful asylum seeker brokers a deal to get two people released from pirates. Are former asylum seekers not allowed to do that?
If , as he states, he divides his time between london and somalia ,it would suggest he shouldnt have been a f***ing asylum seeker in the first place, unless you are suggesting there is a dearth of african "students" part timing as cab drivers in london, as for the rest of the story, as i said , i hope you arent contacted by any nigerians with a get rich quick scheme any time soon.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Have to say as much as I disagree with your politics Bushy normally you've raised an interesting point here. Presumably he was a refugee when his life was in danger and it no longer is. But as he has British citizenship he can stay in Britain. I guess the real question is whether people think refugees should returmn regardless of citizenship once it is safe to do so.
You cant grant citizenship and then arbitrarily take away the said citizenship, the point being raised is the whole " refugee/asylum seeker " con that has been perpetrated for god knows how long. I've stated in other posts on here, there are countless african "asylum seekers" on my estate who fled here "in fear of their lives" who return to places like the congo 3 or 4 times a year.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am particularly puzzled about how the bloke who brokered the deal, Dahir Abdullah khadiye , travels between london and somalia [/url]

Plane? Boat?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
You cant grant citizenship and then arbitrarily take away the said citizenship, the point being raised is the whole " refugee/asylum seeker " con that has been perpetrated for god knows how long. I've stated in other posts on here, there are countless african "asylum seekers" on my estate who fled here "in fear of their lives" who return to places like the congo 3 or 4 times a year.

I see your point but how many of these 'asylum seekers' on your estate have you spoken to? Even if your personal experience suggests to you that some asylum cases are illegitimate you can't then dismiss all cases as a 'con.'

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My point was more that if the yclaim asylum, should they necessarily be given citizenship after a certain period at all.

So essentially those poor Brits would still be held captive if it wasn't for the negotiation skills and local contacts of this London based Somali fellow? Should we not be giving him a medal? I dread to think of the ordeal that poor couple went through, thank goodness we have a diverse community in this country so that we can respond to these sort of situations with willing and connected British citizens.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
So essentially those poor Brits would still be held captive if it wasn't for the negotiation skills and local contacts of this London based Somali fellow? Should we not be giving him a medal? I dread to think of the ordeal that poor couple went through, thank goodness we have a diverse community in this country so that we can respond to these sort of situations with willing and connected British citizens.

hahahaha dont.

there are plenty of other people held captive by these fuckers and no one gives a shit. terry and june do something a bit whacky in their retirement and the country goes into meltdown. bollocks to them. you cannot just trot round the world hoping your white face will get you out of any shit you find yourself in.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My point was more that if the yclaim asylum, should they necessarily be given citizenship after a certain period at all.
I agree, citizdenship shouldnt be on the table at all, in my book. It obviously depends on how you look at it, i remeber there was a furore a few years ago about asylum seekers who were receiving IVF on the NHS, I think it was claude Moraes of the "refugee council that i also nick a nice living out of" that stated ' you cant just expect these people to put their lives on hold ' in response, sorry but you f***ing well can when we are paying for everything else for them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Top drawer stuff !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
hahahaha dont.

there are plenty of other people held captive by these fuckers and no one gives a shit. terry and june do something a bit whacky in their retirement and the country goes into meltdown. bollocks to them. you cannot just trot round the world hoping your white face will get you out of any shit you find yourself in.
Definitely this. It was a f***ing stupid risk they took, IMO. Go somewhere else, you thick middle class gimps.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here