Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Wight Visible From Brighton?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can anyone settle an argument. We've just had our loft converted, and living in Hollingdean we're pretty high up at the back of Brighton, from where, on a clear day looking west, we can see land in the far distance running quite a way out to sea. It seems too far out to be Selsey Bill, and so must surely be the Isle of Wight?! Obviously this has been the cause of some concern in our household, the I.O.W. being in the heart of Portscum territory. Any ideas NSC?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Do you happen to have a compass and map lying around? That may be the only way to settle the arguement.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You can see it from the top of the racehill and from Woodingdean in the afternoon when the sun is going down.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Do you happen to have a compass and map lying around? That may be the only way to settle the arguement.

No, but I have a pair of opera glasses, which magnify the image about three times....if that. Through them I saw the top of Mr Portsmouth's enormous hat, which made me think I was in the right area for the I.O.W

:thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You can defintely see it from the Dyke.

You can defintely see it from Worthing pier. From Worthing you can see quite a high piece of land (seemingly a long way out to sea) as you are basically looking at Whitecliff bay and the chalk cliffs near there.

From Brighton, the strip of land would be much lower... when I wa a kid I was told you could see if from the top of the helter skelter on the pier.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Could see it from maternity ward at the Royal Sussex Hosp 27years ago...
Especially at night...
Not sure what floor though

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
On the Pier theres a Plaque by the HelterSkelter (or used to be) thats says "on a clear day you can see the Isle Of Wight from the top"

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Of course you can see it from Brighton even in only reasonable visibility. I've never understood those who say you can't see it as its plainly obvious. It's much, much clearer with a northerly wind.

What is potential bollocks though is the school of thought (well, one of my mates) who swears he can see the Needles Lighthouse from his flat in Hove. For a start, the Needles are on the far side of the Isle of Wight. Anyone else reckon they've seen it?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here