Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worthing - general advice

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I'm looking for some general advice from any Worthing residents on here.

I'm being moved out of my flat next month, and we're toying with the possibility of moving to Worthing for a 'change', and also because, in terms of renting, it is a fair bit cheaper.

We've both lived in Brighton all our lives, and whilst it's only 20 minutes down the road, it will be quite a change for us.

I think I've only been to Worthing (central) 5 or so times in my life, so I don't have a great deal of knowledge as to whats there.

Can you give me some general advice? Such as;

- Where is better to live? East, Central, West?

- Are there any places to avoid in terms of living? By this I mean run down council estates where I'm likely to get a brick through my window. I've lived in a nice part of Southwick/Portslade most my life.

- What are the bus services like? I'm guessing not as good as B&H, but are they reliable? Can you get around easily enough? Neither of us drive.

- Shopping facilities? Entertainment?

Appreciate it's a pretty vague enquiry. Just looking for as many opinions as possible.

I'm sure they'll be a few people looking to reply just saying 'shit', or similar, but if you can at least back it up with evidence, I'd appreciate it, as this is a fairly big move for me.

Cheers :albion2:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
East Worthing is BORING.

West Worthing is ALRIGHT. Lived there for a year.

High Salvington is a LOVELY area, West of Worthing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Avoid the East, avoid Maybridge (council estate on the West side) and avoid Durrington (North West).

West Worthing, Goring, High Salvington, Tarring, Offington and some of Broadwater are all nice.

Bit hard to judge though without knowing what sort of property you are looking for? Flat/House?

As for facilites, the council has spent forever talking about improving things but less time actually doing it! The new swimming centre is on it's way. At some point Teville Gate will get done but suspect not the Cinema or Ice Rink that would have been great. Shopping area is better than it used to be but still lacks the proper shopping centre like all other towns have. Guildbourne Centre is a no go zone, full of shit! Think old Churchill Square on a smaller scale!

What else do you need to know?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
And just re-read your post.

Bus links are pretty good around town (not that I use them, but others have told me) and remember the trains as well. Worthing has more stations than is good for it - Goring, Durrington, West Worthing, Worthing Central, East Worthing. So getting from one side to the other is pretty easy.

Entertainment is clearly nowhere near as good as Brighton but there are some okay pubs and restaurants in Worthing.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I was brought up in Goring Ashurst Drive which is very nice part of Worthing. Overall i don't think it's a bad town. I'd avoid East Worthing and the Durrington estate up near Tescos not the nicest of Areas. Bus services are a bit huit and miss although if you live nearish the town centre you shouldn't really need them.
Shopping is fine should have everything you want in terms of shops in the town centre.
There are some nice restuarants - Rowalnds road has a couple of good ones, Mahaan curry house and Montagues Tex Mex.
Pub wise twon centre not as good as it was a few years ago when i still leved down there - very chain pub orientated however the Hare and Hounds is still a great little pub.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers guys. That's helpful. I had been told the East was pretty dull.

We're looking at a couple of places later today, one is 5 minutes walk, North, of the main station. The other is along the seafront, around 5/10 minutes walk, West, of the Dome cinema, and near Rowlands Rd as referenced by Goring Gull. So I think most places I'd need to use are in walking distance.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some decent places in / near town that would suit you I think. Goring etc is nicer to live in (I live there) but it is a bit out of town. Depends what you need, if you have a car etc etc!

I actually think Worthing town is OK, has some alright shops, for nightlife you have a nightclub and a few decent late night bars, another nightclub re-opening next month. While its not Brighton, you can still have a decent night out!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just to note, if I didn't have a car, or really need parking etc, I'd probably look Heene Road and moving west. As someone mentioned Rowlands Road has some decent restaurants, curry houses, then you can walk into town for nightlife/shopping etc. Few mates live around there and seem to enjoy it.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
If you get anywhere by the town centre transport wise you will be fine.

Grand Avenue is a good location if your looking for a flat - just avoid the apartments on the corner with the seafront - Dolphin house or something like that.

Heene road is a good location also.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Cheers chaps.

Yeah, we're both mid twenties now, and did the whole nightlife in Brighton 3 or 4 nights a week in our prime (between 17-22 really!), so we're slowly settling down, and for the once or twice a month we may go out clubbing, Worthing looks like it would be suitable.

We're more into restaurants, films, etc. now, which Worthing also looks like it has something to offer.

(God I sound old!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
For cinema, take a trip to Chichester instead, really. Worthing is still awful for cinema

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Film wise i believe the Dome is still going strong.

When i was 18 -22 mid to late 90's Worthing for a night out was pretty decent - I think it's once again heading in that direction.

Also Uncle Jims kebabs near Worthing station used to be a favourite for after beer grub.

Jul 7, 2003
Be careful with accomodation around Rowlands Road. If it is west of Heene Road then it's probably okay but Rowland Road and some of the roads leading off of that can be a bit dodgy and had some of the highest crime rates in the town.

The place North of the station shouldn't be too bad with easy access to the town and, depending on where it is, not too far from take-away alley on Broadwater Road (chip shop, indian, chinese, chicken place, kebab shop, Uncle Sams and a cafe all on a 100yard strip) for all your junk food needs.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
For cinema, take a trip to Chichester instead, really. Worthing is still awful for cinema

I actually went to the Connaught (sp?) a week or so ago to see Saw 3D, and found the whole experience enjoyable, in a, this is quite shit, way. The old chap behind the counter serving popcorn at a decent price. The cinema being in a different building down the road. Etc. :lolol:

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Be careful with accomodation around Rowlands Road. If it is west of Heene Road then it's probably okay but Rowland Road and some of the roads leading off of that can be a bit dodgy and had some of the highest crime rates in the town.

Thanks for that. That is good to know.

I've had a check and it is actually on Rowlands Road, but the East side. In between 'Queens Rd' and 'Western Place'.

Should my warning lights be on?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Thanks for that. That is good to know.

I've had a check and it is actually on Rowlands Road, but the East side. In between 'Queens Rd' and 'Western Place'.

Should my warning lights be on?

If it's on the North sid eof Rowlands Road be wary - you'll know what i mean when you get there. There are a few dodgy looking bedsit there that's all.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also Uncle Jims kebabs near Worthing station used to be a favourite for after beer grub.

The Bahar is better IMO but a little further away from the town centre.

That aside, neither myself or the wife drive and we never have much trouble getting ourselves or the kids around Worthing. Buses are fine (smelly though :) ) and walking is an option for most places within Worthing.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I still remember the days of the good old odeon in Worthing - Still sadly missed.

The present Mrs Titanic and I went on our first date at the Odeon... to see Chariots of Fire.

It was a pity it went... I think nowadays it would probably be quite popular again.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Be carefull if you are an emegerncy services driver

"A driver who was asked by a paramedic in Worthing to move his car, attacked the NHS worker and then drove his vehicle at the ambulance.

Sussex Police said an ambulance on an emergency call was trying to get through Becket Road on Sunday, but the route was blocked by a Ford Fiesta.

The driver of the Fiesta was asked to move but instead he carried out the attack and drove off, officers added.

A 52-year-old man has been arrested and bailed until 20 December.

Police said the man was arrested on suspicion of common assault, dangerous driving and obstructing an emergency vehicle.

Anyone who saw what happened has been asked to contact the force.

South East Coast Ambulance Service has not yet commented on the incident."

Nice, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here