Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grimest town/city you've ever visited.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its surroundings are beautiful, but for the sheer depression of the place my vote goes for Dolgellau in mid-Wales.

I drove through Dolgellau on my way to north Wales, it was a typically drizzly winters day, the light was just beginning to fade and I'd been driving on this twisty difficult road through the mountains for hours. I rounded yet another hair pin and was welcomed by a sign welcoming me to Dolgellau. At that moment, the sky became darker and more threatening, the landscape like the sky became dark grey. The houses were all stained black, probably from a combination of dust from the local gold mine and the smoke belching out from the chimneys of the terraced houses. The place seemed deserted, except for the Lowry like, stick figure old man, dressed in black bent double against the wind. A more depressing scene I have yet to see.

I didn't stop.

(I've not been to Luton)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Merthyr Tydfil takes some beating, especially the Gurnos Estate which I believe has both the highest concentration of unemployed and of heroin users in the UK. That said I can think of dozens of towns/cities in Poland that make anything we have to offer seem fantastic

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Grimest Place in this country would be Bradford but that's paradise compared to Newark, New Jersey which is just vile.

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Worst town?

Agree about Rotherham but I reckon Burslem beats it! We were there a few years ago for the last game of the season against Port Vale when we won promotion. We were wandering around looking for somewhere to get some lunch and asked a couple of policemen. "Round here? You must be joking - this place is the A..hole of the Universe!" Trouble is, they were right!" We did eventually find quite a good curry house.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Rotherham.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Saarbruecken in Germany was a very miserable place I seem to remember.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Smethick, Hull, Middlesboro and Grays. Hard to choose between them.....so I'll put them all forward.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Merthyr Tydfil takes some beating, especially the Gurnos Estate which I believe has both the highest concentration of unemployed and of heroin users in the UK. That said I can think of dozens of towns/cities in Poland that make anything we have to offer seem fantastic
I bloody love Merthyr. OK its not a great place but Merthyr people are (generally) fantastic....and very good at fighting:thumbsup:

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

This was my 2nd choice. You know somewheres bad when on a friday night every bar you stumble upon sells lager in cans only. Thats right...no bottles, no glasses, just cans.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Corby. By FAR. How can a town that shit not have a station as an escape route? When I was there, once, for a wedding, the only way out was a council half-hourly minibus to the bright lights of Kettering. WTF! Full of displaced Scottish former steel workers who have succumbed to the lure of the purple tin. Terrible terrible place.

Gonzo

Apr 7, 2007
Hastings just puts me on a MASSIVE downer whenever I go there. Nasty little shithole of a place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here