Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How thick are students...

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
The government has asked students to pay three times as much for a quality that is likely to be no better than what they are receiving now and perhaps worse. - NUS President.

It's a shame that building has taken a hammering but when feelings run high tempers flair. Just ask the Police at the G20 demo.

The students have a just cause and are being shat on by a tory government that doesn't give a f*** about them and the unbearable debt many future students will be saddled with.

The rich will be able to afford it, get a good education and get even more money. It's a protest against blatant elitism and the widening of the rich/poor divide.

I agree.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No it hasn't it was already being debated openly and the protest got peoples attention if any more was needed all the smashing up of the building has done is create a huge amount of negative publicity.

No matter your views on the increase in tuition fees it cannot be right to start smashing in a building

This.

I await some poor sobbing students because they got a bloodied nose from a police baton.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I personally know the NUS President, a certain Aaron Porter, from my days as a Students' Union officer. A very nice bloke he is too.

Shame about his choice of football team though...

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That old chestnut eh?

Out of interest, does anyone have any viable suggestions as to how higher/further education should be paid for? Rather than constant critisism of consecutive governments, what do you think would be the fairest way of paying for it?

A graduate tax - the more you earn the more you pay and no debt hanging over you. Also deducted at source so most people wouldn't notice a difference.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That old chestnut eh?

Out of interest, does anyone have any viable suggestions as to how higher/further education should be paid for? Rather than constant critisism of consecutive governments, what do you think would be the fairest way of paying for it?

Most suggest a graduate tax or a 'people fund for higher education'.

Interesting article on it here: Student leaders call for graduate tax to replace tuition fees | Education | guardian.co.uk

Whatever is done, higher education should be made available to all those who warrant it, not just all those who can afford it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't agree with those supporting it. Throwing things at unarmed police women and throwing fire extinguishers off buildings is not getting your point across

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I don't agree with those supporting it. Throwing things at unarmed police women and throwing fire extinguishers off buildings is not getting your point across

Neither do I but would a sit in , in the street of gained the same press ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The government has asked students to pay three times as much for a quality that is likely to be no better than what they are receiving now and perhaps worse. - NUS President.

It's a shame that building has taken a hammering but when feelings run high tempers flair. Just ask the Police at the G20 demo.

The students have a just cause and are being shat on by a tory government that doesn't give a f*** about them and the unbearable debt many future students will be saddled with.

The rich will be able to afford it, get a good education and get even more money. It's a protest against blatant elitism and the widening of the rich/poor divide.

Maybe it'd be a good thing if some studnets here had a look at what an education in the US costs.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I think the question should actually be more fundamental than that, do we want an educational system that treats everyone the same, or one that recognises that individuals have individual educational needs and potential. Once we've worked that one out maybe we can start thinking about what we actually need, how it would benefit society as a whole, and then the best way to fund it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
A graduate tax - the more you earn the more you pay and no debt hanging over you. Also deducted at source so most people wouldn't notice a difference.

It certainly is an idea that seems to have been well discussed. How much extra tax would you expect a graduate to pay, over say a non graduate earning the same amount of money?

Is it not similar to how the current debt works? You leave University, get a job, and when you start to earn enough you start paying it back, or is that incorrect?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God

Aren't student loans deducted at source as well?

Graduate Taxes do nothing to disuade people from going to university to study pointless courses and end up with the same job prospects as before they enetered.

Most suggest a graduate tax or a 'people fund for higher education'.

Interesting article on it here: Student leaders call for graduate tax to replace tuition fees | Education | guardian.co.uk

Whatever is done, higher education should be made available to all those who warrant it, not just all those who can afford it.

Except that the Browne report suggested that a graduate tax set at 3% (higher than suggested in that article) is not viable. It would probably have to be double that, and you'd still be reliant upon the government covering the shortfall in the interim.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Can this not be pro-rata for different subjects? I dont mind my tax money fully subsidising someone to do a medical degree, I dont even mind part funding someone to learn about business or geography but if you want to do the History of Art? or Surfing?? you can pay for the whole thing yourself :mad:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Except that the Browne report suggested that a graduate tax set at 3% (higher than suggested in that article) is not viable. It would probably have to be double that, and you'd still be reliant upon the government covering the shortfall in the interim.

What about a compromise of the two. When a student signs up they have a choice - pay a yearly lump sum say £6k ( they get a student loan to do this ) or pay 6% extra tax once they graduate.

I know there would be complications with drop outs but I'm sure that could be overcome.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

That would be my thought, a graduate could end up paying 26/46p in the pound in income tax as soon as they get a job (even if if they end up in Tesco or working in a pub(23p obviously)), which would seem no fairer to me. How long would they pay that rate? Long enough to cover the amount the education cost? that would go on for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here