Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panic attacks

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It may be down to a chronic lack of sleep lately but travelling home from London, I had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. Never again am I going to put myself through clubbing and let myself get into an agonising state. I was barely able to breathe and the torture of them makes me want to end the suffering. Only at least 20mg of diazepam a day seems to control them.

How did I let things get this bad? I really don't know what to do anymore, it's terrifying. :cry:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Blimey that does sound pretty horrific. Why the lack of sleep? I am sure this really does not help, not that it is something people always have control of i know. Just goes to show how much your mind has control over the rest of you.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i don't know much about you or your circumstances. if you keep putting yourself in the same environment (clubbing = abundant drink and drugs / very late nights /being around the type of people who may encourage you into things which you may not be able to handle) then you'll find it harder to change your reactions and behaviour.

i suggest you find other activities for pleasure. ones that cool and trendy types may sneer at as being "boring". why not try a conservation group? this normally involves destroying habitat and hacking things apart..... to destoy and see a tangible result: always good for the soul imo!

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Doesn't sound good mate. I have seen how destructive this type of thing can be. If you seriously think about ending the suffering then I strongly recommend you get professional support.

As Herecomes suggests you need to do something to break the cycle. It sounds like youve got a good idea of the cause so youre a step close to sorting things out. Putting yourself in an environment where drugs etc needs to stop. I to have recently realised I need to make some significant lifestyle changes for the sake of my health. Trust me, the friends that truely care about you will support you and those who don't were never proper friends in the first place.

Good luck dude.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i used to get bad panic attacks from when i was 20 to 25 ish . im 40 now and havent had one for years. i solved it by stopping smoking skunk and taking shit loads of acid. i would say if youre going clubbing and getting f***ed that that is the reason. stop it! drink beer instead it relaxes you and calms the nerves . it will take a few years to work , it took me until i was 30 before i felt right in the head again really. good luck , its not nice

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I had panic attacks occasionally in the past. Understanding what's happening seems to be helpful. So yes, your heart's beating really fast, you're sweating, maybe feeling dizzy.... usually that means there's a big fear of passing out. You know what, you won't - because all of those things are the EXACT opposite of what will happen before a collapse. Your body is in overdrive making sure that you don't. The sweats, the palpitations, every bad feeling are just a natural response to that huge injection of adrenaline. Breathe deeply - concentrate blowing out for longer than you breathe in so that you don't hyper-ventilate - and the feeling will pass.

The occurrence of panic attacks usually disappears as mystifyingly as it began. One day you'll just realise you haven't had one for a while.

Otherwise, try to take all the other usual advice. Exercise, relaxation etc... good luck.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
It may be down to a chronic lack of sleep lately but travelling home from London, I had the worst panic attack I've ever experienced. Never again am I going to put myself through clubbing and let myself get into an agonising state. I was barely able to breathe and the torture of them makes me want to end the suffering. Only at least 20mg of diazepam a day seems to control them.

How did I let things get this bad? I really don't know what to do anymore, it's terrifying. :cry:

Ive suffered anxiety and panic attacks for a period of around two years and seem to be at the back end of it now, but it has been hard, and sometimes extremely frightening. I know in your angst you probably placed something on this forum in hope but the solution to the diificulties you have cannot be found in single paragraphs, or indeed untimely even if witty, responses.
I'm happy to detail my own events (which probably wont be much different to yours) and my various coping strategies if you want to PM me. In the meantime my advice would be to avoid voluntary situations where you have no form of immediate escape. It is often something deep in your psychology that triggers things and can seemingly be unrelated. For me it was the death of my Mother. Take Care

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
used to have heavy weekends...some mondays in big money / project meetings i would be prone to the odd panic attack....feck me.

main reason for stopping the ....________ . dont even drink now.

learn some pramayana techniques.....solved.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Beware of the one who Sneers

You have an enemy who has grassed you up to the Watch. Now the nasty Dogs have got your number.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think a trip to your GP is in order. Go Monday.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think it's a case of learning breathing techniques and recognising when the panic attacks are going to happen. Being on an absolutely packed train didn't help with drunk people and not getting much space. I honestly thought i was going to faint and the last thing I'd know would be everything going completely white before passing out. I'm sure others have experienced that as well? Passengers saw how frightened I was. I am not going to put myself through that ever again. The stress of my structured day programme has taken a hell of a lot out of me. I'm around heroin and crack addicts but they've given so much support and made me feel welcome.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
My brother and my mate used to both suffer really bad panic attacks. Both found regular exercise helped a great deal.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Doesn't sound good mate. I have seen how destructive this type of thing can be. If you seriously think about ending the suffering then I strongly recommend you get professional support. .

I concur...it helped me

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Sorry to bounce a really old thread.

I suffered a panic attack today - not a full on screaming one as I've had before but bad enough to feel faint and unable to talk to the general public in my job. I went into a surreal moment of not feeling like I was there. I apologised and got my boss to talk and give them information. I think I might be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder for something that was out of my control at the time. At the moment I keep getting palpitations and fearing things that I have no control over and more bad things going to happen to family and loved ones. I take around 40mg of diazepam a day which is quite a high dosage. No illegal drugs for a very long time. Quite a few posters might remember me being taken to hospital in February - when I was coughing up blood, that was a feeling that felt similar to this afternoon although not as bad. It's been an awful year so far.

I want to make it very clear - I'm not suicidal so the moderators can rest easy but I can't live feeling like this. A couple of posters on here know the sad circumstances that have occurred. I'm praying that things will get better in time but I fear I'm heading for a nervous breakdown.

Tips on how to cope would be greatly appreciated. I have to stick with my counselling to make some sort of progress if I'm ever going to feel happy again. I'm sorry for such an anguished post.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I've no idea what happened to make you feel the way you do, but my family members and I have had a few crises over the years and the most intelligent thing I can say is that you need to talk about it (as you do to your counsellor) and don't be afraid to ask for help at work and among your friends. Just posting on NSC may help with expressing your feelings and being a bit of a safety valve. Time IS a healer as I can testify since I am still affected by events of almost forty years ago but in a much milder form and the occurrence is much less frequent. Someone on here will give you good, relevant advice - I'm always amazed at the breadth of experience and willingness to help that you find on NSC, especially when the problem is as deeply-affecting as yours. I really hope things improve for you and wish you all the best.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Sorry to bounce a really old thread.

I suffered a panic attack today - not a full on screaming one as I've had before but bad enough to feel faint and unable to talk to the general public in my job. I went into a surreal moment of not feeling like I was there. I apologised and got my boss to talk and give them information. I think I might be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder for something that was out of my control at the time. At the moment I keep getting palpitations and fearing things that I have no control over and more bad things going to happen to family and loved ones. I take around 40mg of diazepam a day which is quite a high dosage. No illegal drugs for a very long time. Quite a few posters might remember me being taken to hospital in February - when I was coughing up blood, that was a feeling that felt similar to this afternoon although not as bad. It's been an awful year so far.

I want to make it very clear - I'm not suicidal so the moderators can rest easy but I can't live feeling like this. A couple of posters on here know the sad circumstances that have occurred. I'm praying that things will get better in time but I fear I'm heading for a nervous breakdown.

Tips on how to cope would be greatly appreciated. I have to stick with my counselling to make some sort of progress if I'm ever going to feel happy again. I'm sorry for such an anguished post.

I find a daily evening walk in the country or along the beach (anywhere quiet) helps me a lot. Guided meditation is also effective (I was very cynical about it at first) I also take Diazepam as and when I feel an attack coming on, but not 40 mg a day. I find the side affects of the Valium make me feel a lot more fragile/depressed for the following few days and start getting much darker thoughts than I would otherwise. I would suggest only taking them when you REALLY need to. They aren't really meant to be taken daily IMHO. I realise you suffer from anxiety/panic attacks, but a lot of what you are describing about how you currently feel sound like the side effects of the Diazepam that I have experienced in the past.

Good luck and send a PM if you need to talk about anything. I have had about 30 years of it and have learnt a few coping strategies along the way which may help you.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here