Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FC United of Manchester

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
What a tale!

They were only formed five years ago, in yet tonight sees the biggest game of their short existence when they play Rochdale in the 1st round of the FA cup.

Watching Sky News earlier, they reported on how ambitious FC plan on moving to Manchester in a £3.5 million stadium!!

I went to one of their home games at Bury's Gigg Lane a couple of years ago, and was bowled over by their vocal support. A really passionate lot.

Refreshing to see a positive story that centres on a club outside the football league.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Can't they just support Rochdale or bury or am I missing the point?
Yes. Yes you are. Big time.

Just another football club. No better or worse than any other ambitious non-league team.
Totally wrong.

Both of you, take a look at their website; read their history and have a look at how they're structured with regard to ownership. See what their views about sponsorship and also player behaviour standards. They are anything but another non-league club.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
They considered refusing the TV cameras to move the game. They said they only reason they agreed was because it was a local derby and their fans could still get there. If it had been Southampton or us they would have said no and left it a 3pm kick off on Saturday.

They are getting 60k from TV rights tonight, their biggest payday yet they were willing to turn it down. That is a club looking after the fans (or is it madness as clubs have folded for a little more than that amount recently)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But have they not 'sold out' themselves this time, by agreeing to have their game on TV on a Friday night?

Part of the reason they were fed up with United was they (United) played on a Sunday luchtime/Sunday afternoon/Saturday lunchtime etc - in other words not 3pm on a Saturday. FC Manchester fans claimed Man U had ssold out, didn't care about the fans etc...

Now, along come the TV cameras, offer them some cash to move the fuxture, and they take it.

:shrug:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do you think Man United really GET it, though? Or do you think they just see FC United as a 'tribute act'?

Well it pisses Sir Alex off enough for him to storm out of interviews when questioned about them.

They prick his conscience.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's easy to say though isn't it. But they took the cash.
They DID agonise over it, and in the end they took it partly (they say) so that Rochdale wouldn't lose out. I think ultimately it was right (and they do get some publicity) but I have an element of sympathy with the "first real test and they sold out" view.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's a shame this billionaire chose Bedlington Terriers and not this lot to invest in...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here