Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many times did the northstand get run by other fans?

portslade-by-sea

Jan 24, 2010
Spurs first time we played them
Arsenal on a tuesday night
West Ham?
Chelsea at the end of the game?

Southampton had a go once
Millwall tryed so did Bristol Rovers?

There is a few palace who post on here, how many times, did your end get run?

Talking about the good old days at work today.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I remember going to Palarse in the 70s, and for a few weeks, the word went round, Palace end, no scarves.
A couple of hundred in their end, and when the teams came out, then we started singing... Palace fans legged it onto the pitch...

they of course deny it now haha

Arsenal filled the north stand, with no scarves, but it was obvious...
Millwall came with scarves...

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It was an element and an age of being a football "supporter" which completely passed me by. I had migrated round to the terrace under the West Stand and next to the players' tunnel by then so I could enjoy just watching the football.

Oh dear. Move over Victor Meldrew :nono:

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Spurs first time around, but a hell of a battle in the North West corner.

2nd time round they had a bit of a surprise.

Definately West Ham.

Arsenal Tuesday night in the league cup.

Just as well Stoke only invaded the pitch one year and weren't concerned
about going any further. That lot are something else!

Palace wouldn't dare though.

Shame the turn out for the big london clubs was never the same as when palace visited. Would have been a different story.

Memories!!

New era coming up. We deserve a golden age.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
West Ham twice that I recall, once when we had the roof, once without.

Tottenham,.. that was murder, but we won 3-1..

Arsenal - wet Tuesday night cup game,... that went right off.

Palace.... ha ha,.. there was only two of them,... they got a shoeing.

Don't remember Southampton or Millwall.

Chelsea was just an end of game mess.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Pompey on an Easter match in the early 70's (Harty's 1st game, as in ian not OGH).
Spurs in that epic league game
Arsenal in the midweek LC game. We all knew the north was full of them but OB were all outside and didn't seem to twig that we suddenly had an awful lot of dark skinned fans claiming to live in Brighton.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
must have missed the time spurs took the northstand because the time i was there they took a good hiding , not by me id already legged it lol.

west ham got a pasting on the friday night in town but gave it back on the saturday

seem to remember blackpool having a fair old go at it but cant remember the year

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
must have missed the time spurs took the northstand

Crikey, you were in a minority,.. think it was a 30k + crowd,.... hell of a game, hell of a beating for us in the NS.:US::US::US:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
f***ing Hell,a fair few posts in and some self satisfied bore hasnt started a pwopa nawty parody of danny dyer before offering up condemnations of 'hooligans who spoil it for everyone else'

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Crikey, you were in a minority,.. think it was a 30k + crowd,.... hell of a game, hell of a beating for us in the NS.:US::US::US:

carnage.. seemed to go on forever...Tony Millard's famous announcement for police support...a small pocket of Albion fans in NS holding their ground for entire match and still singing (nutters!)....and then we stuffed them 3 - 1!

have never liked Spurs since.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
carnage.. seemed to go on forever...Tony Millard's famous announcement for police support...a small pocket of Albion fans in NS holding their ground for entire match and still singing (nutters!)....and then we stuffed them 3 - 1!

have never liked Spurs since.

Hey, I was in that little group,... not that little,... but we had no choice,... we had nowhere to go,... the police behind us stopped anymore movement towards the west side,... so we stayed,.... but carnage yes,... couldnt agree more.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hey, I was in that little group,... not that little,... but we had no choice,... we had nowhere to go,... the police behind us stopped anymore movement towards the west side,... so we stayed,.... but carnage yes,... couldnt agree more.

i can still picture it.....a group of Albion fans half way up the the west side of the NS surrounded by police (eventually). Every now and again a chant of Seagulls went up.....leaving about 2,000 Spurs fans in the NS frustrated that they had only managed to "take" 99% of our end. Glad you survived!! I didn't feel safe until I got home.

D

Deleted member 2719

Spurs first time around, but a hell of a battle in the North West corner.

2nd time round they had a bit of a surprise.

Definately West Ham.

Arsenal Tuesday night in the league cup.

Just as well Stoke only invaded the pitch one year and weren't concerned
about going any further. That lot are something else!

Palace wouldn't dare though.

Shame the turn out for the big london clubs was never the same as when palace visited. Would have been a different story.

Memories!!

New era coming up. We deserve a golden age.

That wasn't Port Vale instead of Stoke was it???

I remember them in a pitch invasion and it started with a few boys fighting at the front of the NorthStand and then it almost changed with a click of a switch to them celebrating and clapping us.

D

Deleted member 2719

Only time I ever got hurt at a football match was when West Ham appeared in the North Stand. Don't think there was a roof on it, so mid-80's?

Come on tell us how did you get hurt?

Broken nose???
Fractured Skull???
Chinese Burn???

What happened???

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Only time I ever got hurt at a football match was when West Ham appeared in the North Stand. Don't think there was a roof on it, so mid-80's?

Remember this game. I was seated in the west lego stand (the club in their wisdom decided to sell the first 3 rows to albion fans and the remainder, about 400, to the ICF)

With 10 mins to go I was grateful, but wondered where they were all going.

5 mins later they all appeared in the North stand, in the days when gates used to be opened early to allow fans to leave....or enter !

Game also memorable for Peter Ward's second spell with the club, about 1984 I think

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Remember this game. I was seated in the west lego stand (the club in their wisdom decided to sell the first 3 rows to albion fans and the remainder, about 400, to the ICF)

With 10 mins to go I was grateful, but wondered where they were all going.

5 mins later they all appeared in the North stand, in the days when gates used to be opened to allow fans to leave.

Game also memorable for Peter Ward's second spell with the club, about 1984 I think

game also memorable for pensioner being crushed and dieing at the front of the NS....!!!

D

Deleted member 2719

I remember West Ham NF dominating the North West Stand while i was standing there as a nipper with my Dad.

I was thinking how long before this goes off. But it never did in that stand that i remember.

Did it kick off that day? i think the Hammers won 1-2

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
game also memorable for pensioner being crushed and dieing at the front of the NS....!!!

Thanks Sydney, didn't realise that, but as a young teenager found it a pretty horrific experience at the time.

Just hope this Sat will pass trouble free as I've heard through work acquaintance that some might be travelling up for the wrong reasons and likely to find what they are looking for. Would rather my 10yr daughter didn't witness.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I remember some Birmingham (zulus?) steaming into the back of the north west terrace when the gates had been opened near the end of a game, one sunny saturday, not sure when, and to my amazement being fought off by a few terrace regulars at the back.

Also remember a few Pompey breaking through police lines at the end of one end of season evening game, when hundreds of Albion were on the pitch - as was the custom, and sending the Brighton legging it back onto the North stand. Some games I seem to remember Pompey being in the east side of the north as well, but without any trouble. One game, when the north was roofless, I seem to remember Pompey actually being allocated the North stand - outrageous decision.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here