Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Collectors' Fair and Auction

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
This season’s Brighton & Hove Albion Collectors’ Fair will be on Sunday, 5th December 2010, in the Hospitality Suite at Withdean Stadium, via gate 21 from the main car-park.

Doors open at 11am, and admission is free. There will be thousands of Albion programmes, books, videos, pictures, fanzines, etc, for sale at low prices. Light refreshments will also be available.

The ever-popular Albion auction will be held at 1pm, offering the chance of a rarity or bargain amid the excitement of a live auction.

The event is a fund-raiser for the club’s Collectors’ and Historians’ Society, which is providing a club museum at the Amex Stadium, scheduled to open in the summer of 2011. Chairman Tim Carder explained the thinking behind it.

“The Society was formed in 1998 to preserve and promote the fascinating history of our wonderful football club,” said Tim. “This day allows us to sell off spare items and gives supporters the opportunity to augment their collections. Several other tables will be selling Albion memorabilia as well.”

The fair, which began in 2002, is now a popular annual fixture. The associated auction, as well as raising funds, assists the Society in a more subtle way. “The auction tempts people to look into their cupboards to dig out those interesting or rare Albion items,” added Tim. “Last year, for instance, the star item was Peter Ward’s match shirt from 1977/78.”

That iconic shirt is now with the Society for display in the museum, but it’s not just unique or expensive items that are of interest. Many everyday objects, perhaps bought from the club shop years ago, tended to get thrown away and are now quite rare. “A good example was a pair of matching Gully money-boxes from the 1990s that went for £22,” reported Tim. “A home-made wooden rattle from the ’60s sold for £12. They’re not huge sums, but these items represent one way the club was supported in times past and deserve to be preserved – and displayed.

“We want to keep the museum exhibits interesting and fresh, and we would be happy to display items from supporters’ personal collections for everybody to enjoy.”

No doubt the Society will be looking to purchase any interesting lots “teased out” in the auction. “The Society bids for items it wants to preserve in competition with everyone else – that’s the only fair way,” explained Tim, “but it’s satisfying that each object sold ends up with someone who really wants it and will look after it.

“In eight years of auctions we’ve sold 435 items, at an average price of £29. Essentially it’s recycling – and everyone’s a winner!”

Tables are still available for selling Albion-related memorabilia, at a cost of £10. Supporters are invited to submit items for the auction now, so that a catalogue can be issued in November. Sellers keep 90 per cent of the hammer-price, and reserve prices can be set.

All enquiries should be made to Tim Carder by PM to The History Man.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It's the Colchester game that weekend.

Is this still on the Saturday or will it be moved to Friday night because of Xmas shopping and the park and rides?

Will be on my way from Zummerzet by train so it'd be nice to be certain.

It is always an excellent event,the Collectors Fair. Please don't come if you intend to bid against me,though !

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Ginger Bob and I will be there again, selling the 2nd part of the "Jack Straw's American Express Community Stadium Calendar Trilogy".
We raised £ 250 last year which went towards the purchase of Peter Ward's shirt as Tim has detailed above.
The calendars should start rolling off of the production line in a couple of weeks and will follow the same format as the first one.
There will be a seperate thread all about this on NSC soon.

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
It's the Colchester game that weekend.

Is this still on the Saturday or will it be moved to Friday night because of Xmas shopping and the park and rides?

Will be on my way from Zummerzet by train so it'd be nice to be certain.

Definitely Saturday. Albion are allowed to play first game in December on Saturday. The Notts County game two weeks later has been moved to Friday.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Really looking forward to this. Hoping to drag the missus along to get my christmas presents

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A few days away and no news :(

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
What kind of money do you think the Gulls Eyes go for Tim?

Thinking about if only for the fact that I've got the full set back after Mrs H binned them, by accident on our last move.

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
Gulls Eyes? My estimate was £15 - but it might be higher or lower depending how much people want them. There is no reserve price so could go for £1!

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION COLLECTORS’ FAIR AND AUCTION
SUNDAY, 5TH DECEMBER

Event if doubt – Decision to reflect that of the Brighton & Hove Albion match

The popular, annual Brighton & Hove Albion Collectors’ Fair and Auction, expected to attract several hundred Albion fans at Withdean Stadium on Sunday, is in doubt following a very heavy overnight snowfall in the Withdean area. The snow is currently lying 10 inches deep.

The decision on the fair will reflect the status of the Brighton & Hove Albion match against Colchester United on Saturday: if the match is on, the fair will go ahead, but if the game is off then the fair will also be postponed.

A decision on the match is anticipated on Friday morning.

Tim Carder, chairman of the Albion Collectors’ and Historians’ Society and organiser of the event, said:

“There is a thaw forecast from Friday evening onwards, but it may well not be enough to save the Albion game on Saturday.

“Even if the pitch is clear, there may well be problems with public access at the stadium. We will go along with the decision on the match regarding our own event.”

Many visitors to the fair like to make a weekend of it, combining it with an Albion game – which is why the Society tries to arrange it the day after a home game.

Tim added:

“The stall-holders are ready, but the weather may make it difficult for them to get to Withdean on Sunday morning, as well as our public.

“In the event of the fair being postponed, we will rearrange it for a convenient date early in 2011.”

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Tim,

I have a collection of programmes that I am thinking of getting rid of. Probably hold onto the nearest and dearest, but is it worth turfing the rest over to you? I.e. Brighton vs Carlisle (Goldstone), Brighton vs Birmingham City (League Cup/Goldstone), Brighton vs Exeter City (Withdean) and so on. 150/200 odd programmes.

I would not be looking for any money. The historical society would be welcome to them, unless they would be a hinderance.

Last edited:

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
Tim,

I have a collection of programmes that I am thinking of getting rid of. Probably hold onto the nearest and dearest, but is it worth turfing the rest over to you? I.e. Brighton vs Carlisle (Goldstone), Brighton vs Birmingham City (League Cup/Goldstone), Brighton vs Exeter City (Withdean) and so on. 150/200 odd programmes.

I would not be looking for any money. The historical society would be welcome to them, unless they would be a hinderance.

Thanks very much, you are very kind.

The truth is that we have many boxes full of programmes from around 1976 onwards, and not meaning to be any way disrespectful, they would at the moment be a bit of a hindrance.

There are some programmes that tend to be rarer in good condition, for instance the thin four- or eight-page editions produced for some League Cup, Johnstone's Paint Trophy etc, and even some FA Cup ties. One or two games, eg Swindon in play-offs, also tend to be harder to find in good condition simply because it lashed it down that night (and my mobile phone never worked again thereafter). Any of those in good condition - no folding, no tearing, no writing - we would be very happy to accept. Thank you.

Readers may like to know that we have put together quite a number of "Instant Collections" - that is complete sets of a season's home programmes (league and cup, no postponed issues) - in good condition for sale at low prices at our Collectors' Fair (and not before). If you, or anyone else, can put together such sets then, again, we would be happy to accept them to try to sell on to raise funds - but they would have to be complete sets in good condition.

As our programmes come from donations, our range available also lacks a little from the last couple of seasons.

Any programme collectors out there are always welcome to submit wants lists - PM me.

The History Man

Aug 16, 2003
Brighton
Following the decision to postpone the Brighton & Hove Albion match against Colchester United on Saturday because of the heavy snow in the area, the Albion Collectors’ Fair and Auction at Withdean Stadium on Sunday, 5th December, has also been postponed. It will be rearranged for a new date early in 2011.

Tim Carder
Chairman, Brighton & Hove Albion Collectors’ and Historians’ Society

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I see on the Albion History site that this has been pencilled in for January 16th,after the Peterborough home game.

Is this confirmed ? - I'll have a bit of re-arranging to do if it is,so early news would be best.

Happy Christmas BHACHS people !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here