Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off-peak Train times...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I dont think i have ever caught the train during a midweek morning, does anyone know what time off-peak trains generally start?

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I think towards London, it is trains that get there after 10am.

A way of working it out is to go to TheTrainline.com, select the journey and time you want, and see if it offers you Off-Peak tickets

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
9.30am I think. Although beware if you're using a railcard - there is a minimum fare before 10 and it is often more than the actual fare of the ticket.

That is going on what it was last year when I used to get a train regularly - although the train services have no idea what they are doing as I was inevitably quoted different prices every time I tried to use the train. With all the different operators/companies they become easily confused it would seem!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It varies between rail companies, but down here its after 10am.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Basically i need to get from brighton to leeds on friday, does it mean i cant start my journey until 10 or i cant get into london before 10 :blush:

i cant believe i dont know this, i have been looking through FAQ'S but i cant seem to find an answer.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Or input the journy you want into nationalrailenquiries.co.uk and that will tell you what fares are available. Often on journeys like yours it's more about what time the train leaves London.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Depends who you go with. Southern is 0930, First Crapital Connect is any train that arrives in London after 10am.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd been using the train for the last few days as my car was duffed. Portslade to Haywards Heath I was getting an off-peak return (£6.20) and boarding the 09.18. I asked the ticket bloke about whether I could get the 08.48 as an 'off peak' - computer said no.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Basically i need to get from brighton to leeds on friday, does it mean i cant start my journey until 10 or i cant get into london before 10 :blush:

i cant believe i dont know this, i have been looking through FAQ'S but i cant seem to find an answer.

Go on Southern mate. It's any train that leaves Brighton after 9.30.

Probably worth ringing the station/ rail enquiries to double check though.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
I'd been using the train for the last few days as my car was duffed. Portslade to Haywards Heath I was getting an off-peak return (£6.20) and boarding the 09.18. I asked the bloke about whether I could get the 08.48 as an 'off peak' - computer said no.

I've got an off-peak ticket before and been allowed to board a train at 9.15. In fact that is what I used to do most days. Although I think I was only able to do this because the computer allowed me to and no-one that worked for any of the rail companies, in any role, had the faintest idea what the rules were. I blame Thatcher for the confusion!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ok iv looked and it offers off peak even if i leave at 8, So i guess its going on what time i leave london then?

so basically it would make my day a lot easier if i can crash at a mates in london and go from there?

if not im thinking the 9.49 seems like the best option for me.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Go on Southern mate. It's any train that leaves Brighton after 9.30.

Probably worth ringing the station/ rail enquiries to double check though.

Brighton to Leeds, 6.40 am train, £50.
9.19 train, £45

Returns are about £100.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think towards London, it is trains that get there after 10am.

A way of working it out is to go to TheTrainline.com, select the journey and time you want, and see if it offers you Off-Peak tickets

From Kent it is dictated by when you arrive in London, not when you leave Kent. So I think Robbie G has it right. Best to check if you're not sure.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Brighton to Leeds, 6.40 am train, £50.
9.19 train, £45

Returns are about £100.

Fair enough, my information is not based on travelling to London, I just assumed that when travelling on Southern the same rules would apply regardless of where you were travelling to.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I thought a single fare is the same price whatever time you travel ???

Sadly not, Brighton to Leeds varies between £45 and £127 depending which train you get form Brighton between 6 - 9.30am

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here