Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Useless musical fact that sticks in your brain...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Listening to "Gold" this morning, for the umpteenth time they played "Give me Just a Little More time" by Chairmen of the Board, and for the umpteeenth time I made sure that I replicated General Johnson's "Brrrp" noise right towards the end of the record.

Why do I bother? And why did he make it anyway?Is it a bird or a cricket he's imitating?

Or was, the guy passed away on October 13th, sadly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mmmm. I've got hundreds in my brain and I'll bore anyone within ear-shot when one is triggered. One Saturday someone asked what the name of the album "NY Excuse" is on. The poor sole who asked got a 5 minute monologue about the evolution of Soulwax's Nite Versions long player and how the name came about.

If you're interested they released the initial, and more guitar based, album Any Minute Now to little aclaim. So they re-worked it and released an electronic version. The name comes from the name Duran Duran used to give to the club mixes of their singles.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mmmm. I've got hundreds in my brain and I'll bore anyone within ear-shot when one is triggered. One Saturday someone asked what the name of the album "NY Excuse" is on. The poor sole who asked got a 5 minute monologue about the evolution of Soulwax's Nite Versions long player and how the name came about.

If you're interested they released the initial, and more guitar based, album Any Minute Now to little aclaim. So they re-worked it and released an electronic version. The name comes from the name Duran Duran used to give to the club mixes of their singles.

God, how dull. I've always thought music is there to be appreciated for the sound as opposed to anything else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
God, how dull. I've always thought music is there to be appreciated for the sound as opposed to anything else.

Best to keep away from me then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mick Jagger is a backing singer on Carly Simon's You're So Vain, effectively killing the suggestion that the song is about him ( it's about Warren Beatty is my guess btw)

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
When Tracey Ullman recorded her version of kirsty maccoll's 'they don't know' she couldn't hit the note for 'baby' so in the end they left kirsty's original in the finished version.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jimmy Page played rhythm guitar on the Who's first hit single, 'Can't explain'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

...and this is bit like saying football is only about the 90 minutes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I used to love the vh1 show that I think was called pop up something where they'd play music videos and facts would pop up about the band, the song, the video, or something related to what was being sung.

Dire Straits Money for Nothing was so similar to the police's 'don't stand so close to me' sting got a twriting credit and provides backing vocals (the 'I want my mtv').

In B-52's 'love shack' the section "you're what?!" "Tin roof, rusted" means nothing, though was thought to mean the woman was pregnant.

LeAnn Rhimes was asked to record 'How Do I live?' for the con air soundtrack, and originally the music vide had lots of shots of planes and various con air related themes but they were all cut when disney didn't like her version. They got Trisha Yearwood to record it for the film. Her version isn't musically all that different, but vocally seems to have a bit of maturity to it (Well, trisha is older). LeAnn's verision was the more successful.

I wish I could remember more of them. There are other facts that aren't really musical, but I think of them when songs that had the pop up video fact in come on, such as when alanis morrisette comes on I'm remeinded of the fact that people can think of seven things at the same time.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

You talk to fish? That's incredibeel!

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The ending to Come on Eileen by Dexy's Midnight Runners speeds up because the band were running out of time in their recording studio and they had to complete the end of the song before their alloted paid slot ran out.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The FBI spent over a million dollars trying to find out if the Kingsmen's 'Louie, Louie' had obscene lyrics, curiously they didn't, anyone who knows this record could tell you why.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
Only two of the things listed in Alanis Morisettes hit 'Ironic' are actually ironic.
The rest of it is coinsidence or bad luck.

Dave Grohl was actually Nirvanas fifth or sixth drummer.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Simon Jordon produced the film Telstar which was based on a play about the life of 60s record producer Joe Meek.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
British Steel was recorded in John and Yokos house. Many of the crashing effects used on various songs were made by the cutlery drawer from the kitchen being rattled or dropped on the floor.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To lower the tone.

Push is written 22 times on the front of Bros' debut album cover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here